1964 Ears
Apr 12, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #2,101 of 7,417
Hey everyone.

I got a usps delivery tracking update stating... "We attempted to deliver your item in IRELAND at 12:30 am on April 12, 2011.".

Somehow I dont believe that as it's the middle of the night. Someone else here said they had a similar experience where an,'attempted delivery' was made but they were home and didn't hear anything. Lol at least they are in my country now!

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #2,102 of 7,417
The same thing happened to me. It turns out that they never actually attempted to deliver but it's being held by Parcelforce for payment of customs charges. Try putting your tracking code in their site to see.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #2,103 of 7,417

[size=medium]
I had the tweak made to them in the bass and it was to attenuate the low frequency driver and that was all.

It was not due to an issue with the unit though.  The graph for it was perfect but in my ear the bass was not matching what the graph showed relative to the mids and highs.  It was due to bone conduction in my ears and my small diameter ear canals.  I didn't want them to mess with the shell due to the perfect fit.

Most people would not want to have this done because for them it would probably sound more like the 3 driver unit or worse in the bass region.  
[/size]

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #2,104 of 7,417
Quote:
The same thing happened to me. It turns out that they never actually attempted to deliver but it's being held by Parcelforce for payment of customs charges. Try putting your tracking code in their site to see.

Nothing showing up on Parcel Force just yet with my USPS tracking number. Did your USPS tracking number eventually bring up a record Chocky? I may have to wait for some time for it to get entered in the system.

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #2,105 of 7,417
1964 may have already worked on a more linear bass version before deciding on the current model and it's use. It's also a lot easier to tailor the bottom without as much work as doing the same at the tweeter, a resistor changes the circuit impedance and therefore the crossover point with unless also changing other parts. In the bass where there's a lot of overlap with the mid driver, it may be inconsequential. In the top it would be quite noticeable and even if done correctly would also change the mid character in a very ear sensitive region. It's a lot of work to do right and I'm sure something they'd rather not address just for sig.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #2,106 of 7,417
Nothing showing up on Parcel Force just yet with my USPS tracking number. Did your USPS tracking number eventually bring up a record Chocky? I may have to wait for some time for it to get entered in the system.

Just enter the number but remove the spaces. You will probably need to enter it twice and make sure you tick the box marked 'international'.

I tried to ring them today but I can't get through to a human and I need a special customs charge code to pay over the phone or online. I'd go to the depot in person but it's 90 minutes away. Hopefully there'll be a card on the mat when I get home tonight. If not I'll be very angry. I'll be complaining to 1964 Ears and USPS about the confusing tracking information for UK orders. I think 1964 Ears especially should tell the international customers what will happen to the item once it leaves USPSs hands and falls off the tracker provided. What is the point of a tracker if it only tracks the first half of the delivery especially when it tells you there was an actual delivery attempt when there was not. Yeah... not happy. Not really 1964 Ears fault though.

I just realised, you're in Ireland so it's entirely possible that Parcelforce haven't got it. Try whatever the national parcel service is maybe?

UPDATE Got a letter from Parcelforce today - VAT totalling £65 to pay plus £14 handling. Eep! I was fully expecting it but a small part of me hoped I'd slip through the net. I wish I knew someone in the US to smuggle for me. :p

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #2,107 of 7,417

Just enter the number but remove the spaces. You will probably need to enter it twice and make sure you tick the box marked 'international'.

I tried to ring them today but I can't get through to a human and I need a special customs charge code to pay over the phone or online. I'd go to the depot in person but it's 90 minutes away. Hopefully there'll be a card on the mat when I get home tonight. If not I'll be very angry. I'll be complaining to 1964 Ears and USPS about the confusing tracking information for UK orders. I think 1964 Ears especially should tell the international customers what will happen to the item once it leaves USPSs hands and falls off the tracker provided. What is the point of a tracker if it only tracks the first half of the delivery especially when it tells you there was an actual delivery attempt when there was not. Yeah... not happy. Not really 1964 Ears fault though.

I just realised, you're in Ireland so it's entirely possible that Parcelforce haven't got it. Try whatever the national parcel service is maybe?

UPDATE Got a letter from Parcelforce today - VAT totalling £65 to pay plus £14 handling. Eep! I was fully expecting it but a small part of me hoped I'd slip through the net. I wish I knew someone in the US to smuggle for me. :p

I'm northern Ireland mate so technically uk. Royalmail and parcelforce and all function here. OK so you have your letter now...how long has this taken from the attempted delivery mail? I think ill just have to wait for my letter too and if possible ill try to pick it up myself. Must search for my nearest office.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2,108 of 7,417

Quote:
Wasn't the Quad designed as a stage monitor?  Hence the emphasized low-end and smoothed treble.  If they are marketing to stage performers the last thing they will do is bump the treble.  It seems people want an audiophile 'Quint' if the Trips aren't enough for them.

That would be correct Sir Anaxilus (sorry for the insult of "sir" lol).

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #2,109 of 7,417
Date
Time Location Tracking Event
blank.gif
12-04-2011 19:01 Charlton Depot Delivery scheduled
09-04-2011 06:02 Charlton Depot Awaiting payment of charges
08-04-2011 11:59 National Hub Received and processed
08-04-2011 08:35 International Hub Received from Customs - charges to be paid
04-04-2011 22:10 International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance
04-04-2011 15:54 Heathrow Airport Received in destination country
03-04-2011 10:58 Delivery Agent - SAN FRANCISCO Forwarded for export
01-04-2011 19:43 Delivery Agent - UNITED STATES AMERICA Collected from customer
blank.gif

You'll probably get yours quicker seeing as mine arrived on the weekend. Considering it only took 4 days to get from Portland to the UK, I'm going to be looking at 14 days in total and that's if it arrives before 11am on Thursday.

Quote:
I'm northern Ireland mate so technically uk. Royalmail and parcelforce and all function here. OK so you have your letter now...how long has this taken from the attempted delivery mail? I think ill just have to wait for my letter too and if possible ill try to pick it up myself. Must search for my nearest office.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #2,110 of 7,417
Hoho, look what we have here. They promised shipment on the 8th, and have shipped two business days after, on the 12th. And it appears as of now my earphones have already left the United States, hopefully they'll be here by the start of next week. :)
bullet_circle.gif
International Dispatch, April 13, 2011, 7:03 am, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
bullet_circle.gif
Arrival
bullet_circle.gif
Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 12, 2011
bullet_circle.gif
Processed through Sort Facility, April 12, 2011, 5:58 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97238
bullet_circle.gif
Shipment Accepted, April 12, 2011, 4:25 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97217

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2,111 of 7,417
Evening folks!

Well, I've received my triples :) I spent 40 minutes on the phone between Parcelforce, Royal Mail, DHL.... trying to figure out who had my parcel as the tracking number wasn't coming up with anything online. Eventually after none of them had it, i surmised that the fact that my last tracking update said they arrived in 'Ireland' and not UK or NI, meant that they arrive south of the border! So I went to An Post.ie and sure enough my tracking number threw up a record! I called them and tracked down the NI courier service they use and ironically, after 40 minutes on the phone between everyone, I was told they'd be with me this afternoon! and they were!! 
Here is the sweet thing- I have them.... IE, they weren't held by customs- I think I've escaped the tax on them !!! :)

Photos to follow when I get a few decent ones.

First impressions- They are small and very neat units. Build looks and feels very solid. I've had them in for about 5 hours since I got home from work and I am please to say that I don't think I need any refits! They feel fine. When I smile, my left ear canal changes shape quite a bit, and while I can feel the IEM move and press against different areas, the seal doesn't actually break and when I return to neutral face positioning again all is well. I can yawn and open my mouth wide with no issues. All in all I don't think I need to send anything back.

I'll talk more about sound when listen to them a bit more. I'm by no means an audiophile so I won't try to put together a very scientific review, I'll just try to express me own impression of their sound.

Super happy with these so far- and it can only get better :)

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2,112 of 7,417
Eh came back wayyy earlier than expected due to family issues. Arrived at my house on Monday and have been sitting here since. I can't really tell if I have a good fit or not, the only experience I've had with iems before these were UE superfi 3 but they sound damn good so I guess the fit is fine. I notice a few imperfections on the artwork but nothing too major, everything is fantastic apart from that. No bubbles whatsoever and the acrylic is pretty clear. I'm not going to comment on SQ until I have a week or more with them and A/B the stock cable with the silver dragon

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #2,113 of 7,417
After having to do another set of impressions the other week, my newly molded Quads finally arrived.  I had them in for 30 minutes today and didn't notice any of the discomfort that I experienced with the last set.  I guess my first impressions were not well made.  I'm flying out tomorrow and will be able to keep them in for a long time to better asses the fit.  

I have to mention that 1964 was amazingly fast getting these made and sent back to me.  I think that after receipt of my impressions and original pair of Quads, the new pair was in the mail in about 7 days.

The build is much better than my first pair.  That pair had some weird buff marks on one of the canal tubes as well as a small bubble in the same tube; this pair seems much better.  The only aesthetic fault I can see is that the artwork on one of the earphones is not as well made as on the other (it's the same design). That's a really minor thing though.  I'm just glad that they may fit properly this time.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #2,115 of 7,417
very nice megalomaniac and vinnividi. i am really curious to hear how the IEMs sound with the silver dragon. i have the quads in my ears as i typed this (listening at high gain through my fiio e7/e9. really there are no words to describe how wonderful the quad sound to my ears right now. i guess i'll put the 215 in my ears for my commute to work in the morning. happy listening indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back