1964 Ears
Jan 22, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #952 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
 Still struggling to decide if I should request for a remake though the difference does not seem to affect SQ. Just doesn't feel comfortable whenever I noticed them.

I'd send it back .... 

After further inspection and trying, I will be sending the quads back. Drats, that will be another 3-4 weeks of waiting...

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #953 of 7,417
Randius: I can't tell from the pictures, but is the tip portion of your left ear smaller than the other side? I ask because the only time I've seen bores shaped like that were on customs made for people with really small earholes. Also the universal demos for custom IEMs that I've seen have the same configuration, since they have to be small enough to accomodate a regular IEM tip. I wonder if there is a point at which the dual bores can no longer fit, so they have to do that overlapping thing? I've seen it done by UM, JH, and others, and it only seems to happen when the customer has small ears.

I agree that it looks funny, I'm just trying to come up with a possible reason why it would be that way. By all means I'd send them an email asking about it. Even if the sound is perfect, you should not have any reason to question anything about your customs. You should be able to just enjoy them in every aspect.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #954 of 7,417
I'd send it back too. I have small earholes as well. if you go back a few posts, you can see that on my IEM, the acrylic shell still encase all 4 sides of the sound tube. The thing to worry about on yours is the sound tube comes loose somehow. Hopefully they can make yours a priority and fix it before sending out other orders.Quality assurance is important to us. 

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #955 of 7,417

Quote:
Randius: I can't tell from the pictures, but is the tip portion of your left ear smaller than the other side? I ask because the only time I've seen bores shaped like that were on customs made for people with really small earholes. Also the universal demos for custom IEMs that I've seen have the same configuration, since they have to be small enough to accomodate a regular IEM tip. I wonder if there is a point at which the dual bores can no longer fit, so they have to do that overlapping thing? I've seen it done by UM, JH, and others, and it only seems to happen when the customer has small ears.

I agree that it looks funny, I'm just trying to come up with a possible reason why it would be that way. By all means I'd send them an email asking about it. Even if the sound is perfect, you should not have any reason to question anything about your customs. You should be able to just enjoy them in every aspect.

The tip portion of the left unit is actually thicker than that on the right unit. That leads to me wondering why the dual bores were not constructed properly on the left unit. I also noticed the sound damper used in the recessed tube is larger than those in the other tubes. More photos below.

I'd hate to send them back because I love the sound and I had waited 6 weeks for their arrival...

Quote:
MINGF5 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd send it back too. I have small earholes as well. if you go back a few posts, you can see that on my IEM, the acrylic shell still encase all 4 sides of the sound tube. The thing to worry about on yours is the sound tube comes loose somehow. Hopefully they can make yours a priority and fix it before sending out other orders.Quality assurance is important to us.

Exactly my thoughts. I have no idea if such configuration will have any issue in future and I've found dirt to accumulate more easily at the recessed tube.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #956 of 7,417
@Randius, you said the sound was perfect? If so, this seems like a very small issue.

Of course, one is paying for more than sound and genuine build quality (in terms of reliability and sound production), as odd as it seems to say that. People pay to feel that what they have is special. Very minor appearance issues detract from that, leading to a feeling that what one has isn't worth the price, even if what the product is designed to do (produce sound) is unaffected.  

So, email first. Send them back if you like, but let's not call this a "build quality" issue if it's not really about reliability and sound production--more like a very minor appearance issue.

Enjoy the music for a while before you send them back, though.

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #958 of 7,417

Quote:
@Randius, you said the sound was perfect? If so, this seems like a very small issue.

Of course, one is paying for more than sound and genuine build quality (in terms of reliability and sound production), as odd as it seems to say that. People pay to feel that what they have is special. Very minor appearance issues detract from that, leading to a feeling that what one has isn't worth the price, even if what the product is designed to do (produce sound) is unaffected.  

So, email first. Send them back if you like, but let's not call this a "build quality" issue if it's not really about reliability and sound production--more like a very minor appearance issue.

Enjoy the music for a while before you send them back, though.

Well put. On one hand, it seems odd that they would not notice this difference. On the other hand, maybe they did but deemed it inconsequential since it doesn't affect the sound.

Ultimately you'll have to decide if you can truly be at peace with it in the long term. If not (and that is no judgement on you one way or the other) better to send it back. It will be worth the extra wait in the end.

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #959 of 7,417
correct me if I'm wrong, I've seen UM makes the second sound bore a crest shape, but I've never seen any custom IEM from any company make a big dent in the tip like this. I think it's fair that Randius raises the flag and contact 1964Ears to figure out if this is a build quality issue or not. Maybe this is not the first order build quality that directly relates to sound, but certainly is a second order issue that may well relates to the lifespan of the IEM. we don't know yet if this will shorten the lifespan, it's better to ask the question now than finding out 1 year later. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back