1964 Ears
Mar 23, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #6,721 of 7,417
Some things seem obvious once they're done but still wouldn't exist without someone doing it 1st. I doubt 1964 knowingly violated anything....if they did. Jerry recently came up with another way to tweak the high end and from what I heard in his new Sirens, it works. This may also be a shot across the bow of other makers to not go there as well.

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #6,723 of 7,417
  Back to 1964, I bet the bass on the Edel sound pretty natural. I hope to get a chance to hear them at some point. Other than the reduced isolation, I like the idea.

i may guess that also the soundstage will be abit wider, it is like listening to an iem with open back...
but i think isolation will be compromised...but i dont mind...

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #6,724 of 7,417
  I guess if I came up with a design and other companies had the same exact design I wouldn't be happy if they were profiting off it. Jerry is an innovator and I am sure he puts hard work into his designs. Companies buy there competitors products all the time and rip them apart to see what's inside and make there own version. I am not saying 1964 Ears did this, stuff like this happens all the time in the music industry with artists sampling.

IEM design is literally transparent.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #6,725 of 7,417

+1. Just like how JHA patents its Freqphase. I'm sure if 1964Ears uses the same technology and calls it something else it would be completely fine. Patent laws are so vague sometimes its not worth patenting anything and just encourage free market. 

Naming conventions only apply to trademarks. If the method of doing it is identical, then the company holding the patent can sue the other. This was the case in the Samsung vs Apple litigation involving slide to unlock on smartphones. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #6,726 of 7,417
  i may guess that also the soundstage will be abit wider, it is like listening to an iem with open back...
but i think isolation will be compromised...but i dont mind...

While you may be correct regarding the sound I think many are mistaken about where that sort of openness comes from when rear vented, which they are not. It's not like you can 'hear' the space behind a driver. It becomes more free in it's excursion and no longer overdamped. In a multiway armature, it would normally only be the woofer affected.

Making low bass with decent character and not giving the sense of being pressurized is difficult in a sealed front IEM. Remember that the ear lense is not behind the driver but in front so you have even more direct access to the environment though still limited by the lense. I've often wondered what critically venting the front of a bass heavy IEM like a jh16 might sound like (besides reduced) and if the bass would be more natural than another with similar similar sealed response. Musicians have been front venting for some time to be less isolated from their stage.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #6,727 of 7,417
Just because a patent has been awarded doesn't mean it's enforceable.

1964 has a nice war chest now after the Adel kickstarter. I hope they contest the validity of the patent.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #6,728 of 7,417
Just because a patent has been awarded doesn't mean it's enforceable.

1964 has a nice war chest now after the Adel kickstarter. I hope they contest the validity of the patent.

I tend to doubt the validity of either of these claims but I would hope 1964 reaches out to other IEM manufacturers and sets up a fund to dispute the JH patent as it would be in the best interest of many. Perhaps even take donations from customers. They need to get the best patent attorney money can buy and that isn't cheap.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #6,730 of 7,417
  Anyone have a favorite album/song they like listening to on the V8? I'm gonna put together a playlist so I'm prepared when they arrive :)

Good question.  Looking forward to your list, here is what I prefer:

- Dave Matthews Band Live Trax 32 album - 2 songs that sound awesome are Warehouse and Rhyme & Reason.
- Rodrigo y Gabriela - most of there stuff sounds awesome.

I should also note that equipment used with the V8 also matters.  I have been switching between Sony PHA2, ALO International and JDS C5D and they all sound different.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #6,731 of 7,417

Good question.  Looking forward to your list, here is what I prefer:

- Dave Matthews Band Live Trax 32 album - 2 songs that sound awesome are Warehouse and Rhyme & Reason.
- Rodrigo y Gabriela - most of there stuff sounds awesome.

I should also note that equipment used with the V8 also matters.  I have been switching between Sony PHA2, ALO International and JDS C5D and they all sound different.

Awesome. I'll add it to the list. I'll mostly be using it with a DragonFly DAC/Amp. I know it's not the best but it's great for portability so I can carry it back and forth from work and home and keep it in the same case as the IEM's. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,734 of 7,417
Foo Fighters Wasting Light album

Yeah, but doesn't ''White Limo'' kick ass on every iem out there anyway? It sure does on my V6S
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #6,735 of 7,417
  Question - (sorry to be specific) - do we think the HTC One M8 will drive the V8 well enough?

yes it will drive well enough as V8 only requires low impedance...but investing on that price for an iem....i would suggest to add a portable amp to your music source
to fully utilized the iem potential :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back