1964 Ears
Mar 21, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #6,693 of 7,417
I ended up going dark translucent blue. I love the color blue so I'm sure I'll like them. Plus they are gonna be in my ears all the time anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

The waiting game begins!

Happy waiting! 
They'll be a killer iem!

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #6,695 of 7,417
Mar 22, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #6,696 of 7,417

It's Apple v the rest of the world all over again. 

"The V8 shell is a 'housing'. Therefore it has infringed Patent 463"

They're gonna sue everyone in the world who enclose their drivers in a shell now. 
It's bullcrap. 

On a lighter side, it means the 1964Ears are indeed 'big' enough that JHA feels threatened by their presence 
bigsmile_face.gif

EDIT: Come to think of it, I don't think JHA has an 8-driver IEM? 

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,697 of 7,417
So basically JH is saying that only they can have IEMs with dual high frequency BAs? Ok.........?

This is ridiculous. Is there anyone versed in law? Can we protest the validity of the patent in the first place? It's one thing to have a patent for marketing purposes, entirely another to do what JHA is doing.

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #6,698 of 7,417
Jerry Harvey has been aggressively patenting any and all IEM development for well over a decade now, see https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Jerry+Harvey+balanced+armature

The US Patent laws are absolutely bonkers, and not just with regard to specific engineering implementations. For instance, the public is no longer allowed to comment on or contest the filing of a patent unless they have written authorization to do so by the filing 'inventor'. However it's still useful to find any and all references to prior art and post them here for educational value.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #6,699 of 7,417
That lawsuit is very disturbing so no company can use dual driver for highs. There are alot of companies that are not well known that do this. If JH feels do threatened by another company may be they need to step there game up. Thats sad all it does is give consumers less choices and would force people to buy from them. It would be a monopoly against all other companies. If he really believed in his product he wouldn't be worrying about suing people.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #6,700 of 7,417
Geez, I hate it when companies start suing other companies over questionable patents. It usually seems more like pettiness to me than real infringement on a unique invention. Indeed I agree with comments above that the whole patent system in the US doesn't work very well.

It honestly makes me not wanna give my money to companies who are suing other companies over trivial stuff. Just like the whole Apple / Samsung thing. I think companies should just try to make the best product and compete like that, not by trying to sue their competitors into oblivion.

I probably will not be buying another JHA product when it comes time to replace my JH13FP. The JH13 sounds great and I'm sure their newer product sound great as well, but for one I already found their customer service not as good as it could have been and secondly with this lawsuit now their standing has really decreased a lot in my eyes.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #6,701 of 7,417
I have a friend who is a Patent Attorney, specifically, Patent Infringement. What I will say is, he is very wealthy. JH may be trying to secure international patents (enforcement of course will depend on the country). His only two US ones are recently awarded. It is very costly undertaking but the ROI is potentially enormous.

Yes the law's are bonkers (said politely). US is pprobably the most litigious country in the world. Tort law here is quite intolerable too. In the large majority they are both abused for the benefit of one. If a design is good you can rest assured you are not the only one who thought of it, though you might be the slimiest and most opportunistic one... The BA itself may have been a legitimate invention but greed, deviousness and under-handed competition has been around a long time. Suits like this one can ruin a company. You may want to get your IEMS sooner than later. While this suit is pending, there is definitely a little more consumer risk.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #6,702 of 7,417
Hopefully this doesn't slow down or affect my recently ordered V8. Pretty dumb that they could claim they are the only ones who have the right to make something with a "housing". It doesn't take a genius to come up with that idea. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #6,703 of 7,417
I'm for capitalism, but what JHA is trying to do is create a monopoly, taking advantage in our system which like it's been said often grants patents for just about anything. The problem when you monopolize something is that it decreases or even kills innovation and doesn't allow up and coming companies to come up with products that meet the needs of a market. I know lots of musicians who can't afford those new $2000+ iems and companies like 1964 Ears and many other up and coming give them the opportunity to get quality gear for much reasonable prices. I had considered to someday get a JH13, but with that type of attitude, it makes me not want to support them. I bet JH already has applied patents for quad drivers, so soon nobody should be able to sell more than two dual high drivers either. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #6,705 of 7,417
  I'm for capitalism, but what JHA is trying to do is create a monopoly, taking advantage in our system which like it's been said often grants patents for just about anything. The problem when you monopolize something is that it decreases or even kills innovation and doesn't allow up and coming companies to come up with products that meet the needs of a market. I know lots of musicians who can't afford those new $2000+ iems and companies like 1964 Ears and many other up and coming give them the opportunity to get quality gear for much reasonable prices. I had considered to someday get a JH13, but with that type of attitude, it makes me not want to support them. I bet JH already has applied patents for quad drivers, so soon nobody should be able to sell more than two dual high drivers either. 

damn. They started out with duals. You'll never know what they'll do (kidding..hopefully)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back