1964 Ears
Mar 19, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #6,676 of 7,417
Question about ordering as a return customer:

I just got off the phone with a representative from 1964 Ears and he told me he's never heard of a discount for returning customers and that I would have to pay full price for their SPL-Plugs. I currently have their V6-Stage IEMs. I don't see how paying for a service that I already paid for when I ordered the V6-Stages (creating the molds) seems fair. He also confirmed that my molds are still on file. Is this a normal practice with custom work or do I have a valid concern here? Or am I completely wrong about not having a discount and the guy on the phone has no idea what he's talking about? Thanks for the help!

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #6,677 of 7,417
Yeah, if I ever get another pair of CIEMs, I'm not going with JHA again. While I found the customer service to be okay, it could definitely be a lot better, especially considering the prices they charge. They need to communicate more, about status of order, remaining wait time, etc. This is 2015! People need information.

If Im paying over 2k for an IEM I better get lifetime warranty and some VIP treatment. 2 year warranty on a 1k IEM is unacceptable by todays standards, it should at least be 5 years.

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #6,678 of 7,417
If Im paying over 2k for an IEM I better get lifetime warranty and some VIP treatment. 2 year warranty on a 1k IEM is unacceptable by todays standards, it should at least be 5 years.
Two years is actually very generous!! Not many custom iem manufacturers offer two years nowadays. E.g. Jhaudio, earsonics and SE5 are ones that come to mind that only offer a year.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #6,679 of 7,417
I've put an order for the V6 stages (rush order). Very impressed with their customer service. Got an email this morning saying they've received my impressions, however the right ear impression needs to be redone as the canal was built up. Asked me to take a few pictures of it before sending the new one in.

I'm kinda annoyed as I want them NOW, but very happy at the same time as they pay so much attention to detail wanting to get things right.

Far more impressed compared with my experience to JHA.

I'll second that. 1964 Ears' Customer Service has been nothing but exemplary. 
I'm halfway across the world but somehow they still respond to my emails promptly. 
Don't worry, the wait WILL be worth it :wink:

Yeah, if I ever get another pair of CIEMs, I'm not going with JHA again. While I found the customer service to be okay, it could definitely be a lot better, especially considering the prices they charge. They need to communicate more, about status of order, remaining wait time, etc. This is 2015! People need information.

That's it. An industry insider once told me this. JHA are used to dealing with superstars. Whilst other up and coming brands need to get their names and reputation out, JHA is already established, which could explain their so-so customer service. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #6,680 of 7,417
Two years is actually very generous!! Not many custom iem manufacturers offer two years nowadays. E.g. Jhaudio, earsonics and SE5 are ones that come to mind that only offer a year.

I'm thinking a 7 year fit warranty.....
wink_face.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #6,681 of 7,417
I'm thinking a 7 year fit warranty.....:wink_face:

....along with a technical warranty. Drivers do malfunction and I think 2 years honestly just brushes any reliability off the manufacturer. If they were confident that their product can withstand the test of time then 5 years should be standard.

imo, in North America a 2 year warranty shows no confidence in their workmanship of their products at all. Sure give me 2 years on a cheap sony or jvc bud but for a handcrafted CIEM Im not only paying for the extra technology but also for the peace of mind.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #6,682 of 7,417
....along with a technical warranty. Drivers do malfunction and I think 2 years honestly just brushes any reliability off the manufacturer. If they were confident that their product can withstand the test of time then 5 years should be standard.

imo, in North America a 2 year warranty shows no confidence in their workmanship of their products at all. Sure give me 2 years on a cheap sony or jvc bud but for a handcrafted CIEM Im not only paying for the extra technology but also for the peace of mind.

The problem with that thinking is that CIEMs aren't a product that sits on a desk gathering dust - with the only reason a BA driver would go out because of a poor wiring job (defect). CIEMs were created with the performing musician in mind - and they are used on stage, and fight through sweat, numerous small impacts and even with audiophiles are bumped around more than typical audio equipment. By your logic, since a Ferrari costs 10 times as much as a Kia, it should have 10 times the warranty - and that isn't the way it works in the automotive industry or the electronics industry. Typically, if something is going to fail, it does so in the first few months. BAs are a hardy technology - they are used in hearing aids (what they were designed for) which are worn 16 hours a day, every day. So BAs aren't the problem - it is wear and tear - and a small custom company cannot have a team of technicians cracking open 3 and 4 year year old CIEMs trying to determine whether the owner dropped them or not - in order to determine warranty coverage. CIEMs work - they stay working if they aren't abused. A two year warranty is a sufficient place for the pendulum to stop (IMO)

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #6,683 of 7,417
i agree, 2years is justifiable warranty period as CIEM are devices that is "on the go"
prone to wear and tear ... 

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #6,684 of 7,417
I got my impressions taken today. Felt kinda uncomfortable, but that's the price you pay for audio bliss :)

Do they look well done? I'm gonna also email 1964. Now to try and decide on my final color combinations for the V8's....

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #6,685 of 7,417
Looks like they tapped at your brain! 

Thems deep!

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #6,686 of 7,417
  I got my impressions taken today. Felt kinda uncomfortable, but that's the price you pay for audio bliss :)

Do they look well done? I'm gonna also email 1964. Now to try and decide on my final color combinations for the V8's....

They look deep enough! I think 1964 Ears like impressions to extend past the 2nd bend of the ear, which, looking at your impressions certainly do 
wink_face.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #6,687 of 7,417
Looks like they tapped at your brain! 

Thems deep!

They look deep enough! I think 1964 Ears like impressions to extend past the 2nd bend of the ear, which, looking at your impressions certainly do :wink_face:

Yep. I gave her the instructions and she said "this might be somewhat uncomfortable but I wanna get them real deep so they have enough to work with and can't complain I didn't do em deep enough!"

Sounds like she did a good job. Now to safely package them up and make a freakin decision on colors :)

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #6,689 of 7,417
  Has anyone had the clear ones for a long time? I'm tempted to go clear or ice blue but I was worried they might start to get yellow or discolored over time. 

+1 interested in knowing this too. I know my silicon shells for the Shures start to turn pink (normal according to Sensaphonics) due to body secretions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back