1964 Ears
Dec 17, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #6,286 of 7,417
Hngh....

I think I've decided to not go for the V3's after all.

I know the kind of person I am, I will only end up wanting something else, something "better" and as such will just end up with a spare pair of CIEM's gathering dust.

As such, the V8's will be ordered. I seem to like a warm sound signature and it seems that the V8 will provide that sound while still maintaining a low impedance so that I can drive them well from my iPhone (most of my listening).

Am I crazy?

No (you're not crazy) :wink:

I bought the V3's 18 mths ago & love them/don't regret buying them one bit, but if I'd had the cash at the time I would have sprung for the V6's. If the V8's sound sig is your thing & you have the money, then buy them :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #6,287 of 7,417
No (you're not crazy) :wink:

I bought the V3's 18 mths ago & love them/don't regret buying them one bit, but if I'd had the cash at the time I would have sprung for the V6's. If the V8's sound sig is your thing & you have the money, then buy them :)

Technically I don't have the money, but I do have a credit card with 3 months interest free purchases!

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #6,289 of 7,417
No, I'm in the UK, no samples over here unfortunately. I've emailed their customer support asking for their recommendation as well. I mainly listen to prog rock and metal with some classical and jazz and electronic music as well. Current headphones are Shure SE215's, like their sound but I feel the mids and treble are slightly muted. Have had B&W P7's loved them but they can't be worn in the rain so had to return them.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #6,290 of 7,417
Try to get a listen before you decide between V6S and V8. Both sounded very different with V6 sounding a tad brighter and much airier. The bass of V6S is very very good, punchy and very delightful especially on the high hats and the snares.
I love the V8 as it is less airy and the sound seems to be much closer to you, making it seem like the source is just directly in front of you. The bass is equally as delightful as the V6S but clearly with a teeny bit more impact. I'm pleasantly surprised that even though many has said that it is too bassy, I did not feel the way and the bass never bleed into the mids or highs and the vocals still shine even with the heavy lows punching in the background. I was able to still visualize all of the instruments and still focus on the vocals with the V8 very clearly.
Note I gave both of the IEM a hour each of listening and walk away very very happy. Will be visiting them again until my very own V8 arrives :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #6,291 of 7,417
I have owned both the shures 215 and se535 and even heard the 835 too. There's no contest if your comparing it with the 215, as the only thing I like about 215 is the bass but the mid and highs on those were like negligible. However, if you like 535/835 shures, you might prefer the V6S more as those phones to be are very very bright. And V8 will not be as bright as the 2.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #6,292 of 7,417
  Just went to test out the V8 and V6S at my local store and they sound superb. I can't wait for May 2015 to come!!! I love the V8 the most!! Much warmer and a more intimate soundstage as compared to the V6S!

Try to get a listen before you decide between V6S and V8. Both sounded very different with V6 sounding a tad brighter and much airier. The bass of V6S is very very good, punchy and very delightful especially on the high hats and the snares.
I love the V8 as it is less airy and the sound seems to be much closer to you, making it seem like the source is just directly in front of you. The bass is equally as delightful as the V6S but clearly with a teeny bit more impact. I'm pleasantly surprised that even though many has said that it is too bassy, I did not feel the way and the bass never bleed into the mids or highs and the vocals still shine even with the heavy lows punching in the background. I was able to still visualize all of the instruments and still focus on the vocals with the V8 very clearly.
Note I gave both of the IEM a hour each of listening and walk away very very happy. Will be visiting them again until my very own V8 arrives
smily_headphones1.gif

So from this (and yes everyone, I'm STILL ASKING!) would you say the V6S has a bigger soundstage? (If that's the case, I'm surprised you didn't prefer that, i thought everyone went for a bigger soundstage - makes it sound like it's not coming from iems, if you see what I mean). 
And also the V8 has plenty of detail and clarity? Just want to check 'warmer=/= muddy or veilde'. 

if the V6S sounds substantially wider in soundstage, I might end up contacting 1964...

@Ivabign, which one did you think had a bigger soundstage again? And how big is the difference?

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #6,293 of 7,417
Okay for the V6S it's sound stage can be a little bit deeper, the sound of the instruments and the vocals sounds a bit further in (more dept) due to it sound airier as compared to the V8.
I know many people may like an airier soundstage but for me personally, whose iem has been the shure se 535, I prefer the intimacy of a much warmer and tighter soundstage. A more intimate soundstage to me makes vocals much sweeter and closer to me which is how I prefer my music to sound like.
And no I do not feel that the V8 is in anyway muddy, it's just more intimate, but you will still be able to differentiate everything clearly, and the separation of the instruments are still very good even with a stronger thumping bass. In fact I can almost feel the bass traveling down to my chest like when your in a concert. It's that good lol.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #6,294 of 7,417
So from this (and yes everyone, I'm STILL ASKING!) would you say the V6S has a bigger soundstage? (If that's the case, I'm surprised you didn't prefer that, i thought everyone went for a bigger soundstage - makes it sound like it's not coming from iems, if you see what I mean). 
And also the V8 has plenty of detail and clarity? Just want to check 'warmer=/= muddy or veilde'. 

if the V6S sounds substantially wider in soundstage, I might end up contacting 1964...

@Ivabign, which one did you think had a bigger soundstage again? And how big is the difference?

The v8 is detailed. The mids are recessed, though- so if you're big on vocals these won't be your choice.

A big soundstage is not always better. Some people like iems exactly because they give a close, focused, in your head sound.

The v8 has the perception of a smaller soundstage, but they're not really smaller. It's just that typically a brighter phone gives the perception of more details and wider soundstage.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #6,295 of 7,417
Agree with what jelt said! However, I do not feel that the mids of the V8 are recessed. Hmm, maybe because all of the songs I have demoed are female vocals haha.
Like what many have described, if you want a brighter phone that has a sound signature like the shures 846 go for the V6S instead!

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #6,296 of 7,417
The v8 is detailed. The mids are recessed, though- so if you're big on vocals these won't be your choice.

A big soundstage is not always better. Some people like iems exactly because they give a close, focused, in your head sound.

The v8 has the perception of a smaller soundstage, but they're not really smaller. It's just that typically a brighter phone gives the perception of more details and wider soundstage.

Believe it or not I don't mind mids being lightly recessed. As in, a really really tiny bit. I don't listen to much music with singing, and have always been more interested in instrumental texture than vocals for some reason - hence why the v-shape seems to suit me quite nicely :D

Agree with what jelt said! However, I do not feel that the mids of the V8 are recessed. Hmm, maybe because all of the songs I have demoed are female vocals haha.
Like what many have described, if you want a brighter phone that has a sound signature like the shures 846 go for the V6S instead!

Ok so soundstage. If the V6S is the equivalent of hearing the music from the distance of say, the outside row of seats in a soccer stadium when your standing in the center of the field, where would you place the V8 by comparison? - Just trying to quantify how big the difference is. I'd like something wider than my SM64s ideally. 
(I know that's a ridiculously over the top analogy, but a soccer stadium is the only common space I could think of that doesnt change internationally!)
I'd rather avoid something that sounds like its just coming from my ears... although I gather the Adel tech is going to increase that anyway :D

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #6,297 of 7,417
Sounds like you will like the V6S more in terms of soundstage then. Cause the V8's soundstage sounds more like your at the front row of the soccer field.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #6,298 of 7,417
You can try the full 1964ears lineup, in their universal form, in the UK, but you'll have to pay £40 per hour for the luxury :wink:

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #6,299 of 7,417
Believe it or not I don't mind mids being lightly recessed. As in, a really really tiny bit. I don't listen to much music with singing, and have always been more interested in instrumental texture than vocals for some reason - hence why the v-shape seems to suit me quite nicely :D

Ok so soundstage. If the V6S is the equivalent of hearing the music from the distance of say, the outside row of seats in a soccer stadium when your standing in the center of the field, where would you place the V8 by comparison? - Just trying to quantify how big the difference is. I'd like something wider than my SM64s ideally. 

(I know that's a ridiculously over the top analogy, but a soccer stadium is the only common space I could think of that doesnt change internationally!)
I'd rather avoid something that sounds like its just coming from my ears... although I gather the Adel tech is going to increase that anyway :D

Honestly looking at the music you listen to, which is very different from my tastes, you'd probably enjoy the v8 more. The v6s have a much more mid centric sound.

Btw, I don't believe the v8 have a small soundstage- they sound much darker, and the warmth makes it sound more intimate, but they definitely are not a "studio" like presentation. Listen past the warmth and the bass, and you'll hear the mids and the treble in the distance. They're not closed in at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back