1964 Ears
Dec 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #6,182 of 7,417
Malevolent, adammax: Can you comment on which genres you think V8 excels with and which genres it doesn't do well with? Nothing complicated - just a quick good vs bad list would be appreciated :thumbsup:

I'd say:
1. EDM
2. Bass-guitar heavy tracks (particularly love Incubus' Are You In)
3. Pop
4. Less frantic rock
5. Jazz sounds good if you dont mind the lack of highs

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #6,184 of 7,417
Agree on the list. The high is not as extended as k10. However please note k10 is a very capable TOTL iem. In a relative world, the difference will be where you are coming from.

Fast, punchy, enjoys bass, warmer, less analytic.

From another reference, shure 846, I'd prefer the v8 for its bass.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #6,186 of 7,417
Hi all! A noobie question here. Is the bass on the 1964 ears v6 (no stage) really bad?? Particularly if i pair it with a fiio x5. And amps maybe

There is no such thing as bad bass. It's just neutral. The V6 is basically a ruler flat IEM, created for monitoring purposes. There will still be plenty of bass if that's what a track calls for, but it will never be over emphasized. Neutral bass doesn't mean that there is no bass. It just means it's only there when needed. Just like all the other frequency ranges. But most people seem to agree that compared to the V6, the V6-Stage sounds a bit better, with a more well-rounded bass (slightly emphasized in the sub-bass region, which gives you a fuller sounding non-bloated bass). And given the minor price difference it really comes down to taste.

There are some IEMs out there that have below neutral bass, and those types of IEMs can be called bass-light.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #6,187 of 7,417
There is no such thing as bad bass. It's just neutral. The V6 is basically a ruler flat IEM, created for monitoring purposes. There will still be plenty of bass if that's what a track calls for, but it will never be over emphasized. Neutral bass doesn't mean that there is no bass. It just means it's only there when needed. Just like all the other frequency ranges. But most people seem to agree that compared to the V6, the V6-Stage sounds a bit better, with a more well-rounded bass (slightly emphasized in the sub-bass region, which gives you a fuller sounding non-bloated bass). And given the minor price difference it really comes down to taste.

There are some IEMs out there that have below neutral bass, and those types of IEMs can be called bass-light.
i see. Thanks man! But when paired to the correct dap like fiiox5.it can improve the bass on the v6 right?

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #6,188 of 7,417
Malevolent, adammax: Can you comment on which genres you think V8 excels with and which genres it doesn't do well with? Nothing complicated - just a quick good vs bad list would be appreciated :thumbsup:

I tested the following EDM genres with the V8, and they sounded fantastic -

* Hard Trance
* Hardstyle
* Eurodance
* Gabber

The first 2 genres rely on a strong bass line to drive the track, and the V8 does an excellent job in this regard. The latter 2 were pretty good too, but Gabber sounded a bit muted, owing to a lack of treble energy to balance the fast beats.

I also auditioned them with classic rock, with tracks from Scorpions, Bryan Adams and Bruce Springsteen, some of my favorites. They sounded alright, but the perceived lack of clarity caused the songs to come out sounding less than stellar, especially considering how the same tracks fared so very well on the K10.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #6,189 of 7,417
i see. Thanks man! But when paired to the correct dap like fiiox5.it can improve the bass on the v6 right?

What the poster was trying to tell you is , it does now have BAD bass. In fact pretty much no IEM at that level has bad BASS that I have read/heard about.

You keep saying will it improve the BASS which implies you don't quite get the response.

If you want MORE bass then you can try to EQ it up but that may or may not turn out well. If you want bass in high quantity the v6 is not for you, the V5 stage is not a bass heavy IEM (it has good sounding bass) but not in large quantities.

The V6 like the stage has good bass but even less quantity than the Stage.

Now that said the right amp and DAC for the right IEM/headphone can improve the bass sure, if #1 it is a good match and #2 the swing in impedance between the drivers in a multi driver multi crossover IEM , for example my heir 8.A has enough bass to launch you into space but those REALLY do better amped, the bass gets more defined, just as powerful but more texture and nuance! Soundstage, instrument separation etc.

Some IEM/headphones do not need/benefit so much or much at all from being amped (which can in the case of the IEM give more current if needed) but depending on the sound signature of the DAC, AMP and IEM it can alter the frequency response some, which can make it more or less to your sonic preferences :)

hope that helps

Unrelated:
I have had a listen to the V6, and extensive time with the V6Stage custom (my wifes somehow seal in my ears), I own the 8.A and 6.A, and comparisons with those IEM's which can shed some light on the V8 :) I am just curios about a bassy 1964 custom as I am leaning towards getting the A12's but there is no way to know what those will sound like directly and mostly all in good fun :)

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #6,190 of 7,417
I tested the following EDM genres with the V8, and they sounded fantastic -

* Hard Trance
* Hardstyle
* Eurodance
* Gabber

The first 2 genres rely on a strong bass line to drive the track, and the V8 does an excellent job in this regard. The latter 2 were pretty good too, but Gabber sounded a bit muted, owing to a lack of treble energy to balance the fast beats.

I also auditioned them with classic rock, with tracks from Scorpions, Bryan Adams and Bruce Springsteen, some of my favorites. They sounded alright, but the perceived lack of clarity caused the songs to come out sounding less than stellar, especially considering how the same tracks fared so very well on the K10.

You listen to Gabber? Geez, I feel sorry for your ears :)

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #6,192 of 7,417
  Which of the 1964 have great female vocals? Coming from a UE900 and the female vocals are veiled and looking to upgrade to a CIEM.

1964 Ears V6S

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #6,194 of 7,417
  What the poster was trying to tell you is , it does now have BAD bass. In fact pretty much no IEM at that level has bad BASS that I have read/heard about.

You keep saying will it improve the BASS which implies you don't quite get the response.

If you want MORE bass then you can try to EQ it up but that may or may not turn out well. If you want bass in high quantity the v6 is not for you, the V5 stage is not a bass heavy IEM (it has good sounding bass) but not in large quantities.

The V6 like the stage has good bass but even less quantity than the Stage.

Now that said the right amp and DAC for the right IEM/headphone can improve the bass sure, if #1 it is a good match and #2 the swing in impedance between the drivers in a multi driver multi crossover IEM , for example my heir 8.A has enough bass to launch you into space but those REALLY do better amped, the bass gets more defined, just as powerful but more texture and nuance! Soundstage, instrument separation etc.

Some IEM/headphones do not need/benefit so much or much at all from being amped (which can in the case of the IEM give more current if needed) but depending on the sound signature of the DAC, AMP and IEM it can alter the frequency response some, which can make it more or less to your sonic preferences :)

hope that helps

Unrelated:
I have had a listen to the V6, and extensive time with the V6Stage custom (my wifes somehow seal in my ears), I own the 8.A and 6.A, and comparisons with those IEM's which can shed some light on the V8 :) I am just curios about a bassy 1964 custom as I am leaning towards getting the A12's but there is no way to know what those will sound like directly and mostly all in good fun :)

That's great your wifes fit in your ears my 14 year old daughters fit in my ear and mine fit in hers and they seal great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back