1964 Ears
Sep 20, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #5,326 of 7,417
looking forward to more impressions of the 1964-Qi. Almost no information about them. Does anyone know what the pricing is like in total with impressions and everything, and if there is a dealer in Singapore?

Sep 20, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #5,328 of 7,417
  looking forward to more impressions of the 1964-Qi. Almost no information about them. Does anyone know what the pricing is like in total with impressions and everything, and if there is a dealer in Singapore?

Look for Calvin from Music Sanctuary. Great service and probably the best price in Singapore for 1964 stuffs 

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #5,329 of 7,417
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'm going with the qis. I was already hesitant about shelling out the extra 150 for the v6 stage. If they have less bass impact than the v6 I don't think I'd enjoy them.

Hi jwusoccer,
For a second opinion I probably couldn't disagree with much more with QBoQBoc's assessment. Let's start with the disclosure that I own the V6-Stage in universal form, and because they regularly blow me away, I'm likely a bit (or more) biased towards them. On the other hand, I'very been fortunate to listen to a lot of really good phones this summer to compare them against. This includes 1964Ears Qi, V6 and V8 at the summer Seattle meet; the entire Noble line-up (including the K10) for 4 days, the Beyerdynamic T90 & T1 for at least a month, and the new HE-560 which I currently also own.

First let me correct the misconception of the V6-Stage having less bass impact than the V6. The opposite is true, and this is clearly shown on the 1964Ears website. The V6-Stage flat out nails sub-bass, bass, and mid-bass! Overall the the $1600 Noble K10 outperformed the V6-Stage, but not in sub-bass extension and bass details.

To my ears the Qi and V6-Stage are 1964's best products for the money. If you're budget hits the ceiling at $550 then get the Qi and don't look back, just enjoy them. If you can swing the extra for the V6-Stage then go for it - you won't be sorry. Better bass extension & detail, no mid-bass hump/blead, mids slightly more forward with more detail, and more high-end extension and considerably more high- end detail.

In addition to to frequency response is realism. Soundstage, instrument placement, coherence, etc. all done well and in unison, is another way the V6-Stage (and the V8) really shine. The Qi and V6 don't have key1964 technology in Triple Bore Design and 3D Soundstage.

All IMHO and per my ears!

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #5,331 of 7,417
Better is subjective no? I can understand how triple bore and 3d soundstage would be better, but personally i have always preferred a v-shape signature, which out of the whole 1964 range, only the Qi and V8 satisfy. I am quite sure that, without EQ, I would prefer the Qi to the V6S.

The Qi is probably no slouch in 3D soundstage either, just that it seems lacking in an A/B comparison to the V6S. Are there options for triple bore and 3D soundstage for the Qi?

Also wondering how triple bore directly affects the sound signature, if anyone could plrase enlighten.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #5,332 of 7,417
From the Music Sanctuary (Singapore) website, apparently the Qi DOES have triple bore and 3D soundstage. This is not reflected in the 1964 Ears website though. I was just going to ask them if these options were available on the Qi.

http://www.music-sanctuary.com/collections/1964-ears/products/1964-ears-qi

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #5,333 of 7,417
@ericr, could you elaborate on v8 -k10 in your experience. Im considering both but cant find lots of reviews.

Wow, you ask quite a lot. ; )

1) I heard them about a month apart
2) Listened to the V8 for minutes and the K10 for a couple of days
3) At $1600 USD for the K10 it's not even a fair fight
4) I love my V6-Stage universals

OK, keeping all of the above in mind...

The K10 were, to be concise, exceptional. Very easy to listen to. I was almost ready to call them laid back and then realized they were as loaded with as much detail as the V6-Stage. Think effortless - highs, mids and lows. The rich (yet detailed ) mids are what really separated the the K10 from my V6-S.

The V8 sounded great, very close to my V6-S, but with more low end thickness. Sometimes this came across as richer or more visceral than the V6-S, and with other tracks it came across with a sense of artificial bass boost. To be honest, after a while I moved on to other phones at the meet because even though I *love* bass, I don't really care for boosted bass.

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #5,334 of 7,417
Better is subjective no?.

Agreed - 100%

...personally i have always preferred a v-shape signature...

Then it would be Qi FTW! Definitely my 2nd fav from 1964. Just worried you might miss out, as I loved my TF10s for two+ years, but after a few days of listening the V6-Stage won me over from the TF10 and SM64.

Also wondering how triple bore directly affects the sound signature, if anyone could plrase enlighten.

As I understand it, the individual bores along with tubes inside from the drivers to the bore keep the spectrums isolated. And careful selection of driver position and tube length ensures the sounds all arrive at your ear at the proper (same) time. IIRC, it is very much like the JH Audio Freq Phase technology.

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #5,336 of 7,417
Hi jwusoccer,
For a second opinion I probably couldn't disagree with much more with QBoQBoc's assessment. Let's start with the disclosure that I own the V6-Stage in universal form, and because they regularly blow me away, I'm likely a bit (or more) biased towards them. On the other hand, I'very been fortunate to listen to a lot of really good phones this summer to compare them against. This includes 1964Ears Qi, V6 and V8 at the summer Seattle meet; the entire Noble line-up (including the K10) for 4 days, the Beyerdynamic T90 & T1 for at least a month, and the new HE-560 which I currently also own.

First let me correct the misconception of the V6-Stage having less bass impact than the V6. The opposite is true, and this is clearly shown on the 1964Ears website. The V6-Stage flat out nails sub-bass, bass, and mid-bass! Overall the the $1600 Noble K10 outperformed the V6-Stage, but not in sub-bass extension and bass details.

To my ears the Qi and V6-Stage are 1964's best products for the money. If you're budget hits the ceiling at $550 then get the Qi and don't look back, just enjoy them. If you can swing the extra for the V6-Stage then go for it - you won't be sorry. Better bass extension & detail, no mid-bass hump/blead, mids slightly more forward with more detail, and more high-end extension and considerably more high- end detail.

In addition to to frequency response is realism. Soundstage, instrument placement, coherence, etc. all done well and in unison, is another way the V6-Stage (and the V8) really shine. The Qi and V6 don't have key1964 technology in Triple Bore Design and 3D Soundstage.

All IMHO and per my ears!

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna have to think about whether i want to shell out the extra 150 because at 550 dollars the qi is already stretching my budget. Would you say that the v-6 stage is around as bassy as the qi? I really love good sub bass and a slight mid bass hump.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #5,337 of 7,417
Quick questions, is it possible to move to a custom cable down the line if I go with recessed sockets?

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #5,338 of 7,417
  Quick questions, is it possible to move to a custom cable down the line if I go with recessed sockets?

Yes, recessed socket works with some custom cables but not all. BTG Audio and PlusSound make pretty good cables for recessed. I did not choose the recessed socket just because it is easier to find some cheaper Chinese aftermarket cables with Westone 2 pins equal or better quality 
wink_face.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #5,339 of 7,417
What's the advantage of the recessed socket?

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5,340 of 7,417
PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back