1964 Ears
Sep 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #5,266 of 7,417
Just ordered the universal V6S and now the wait begins
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #5,267 of 7,417
  Why would you go for the V6S if not edm? 
I listen to a wide variety of music so a good all-rounder is ideal. But I admit I still crave for hard-hitting bass only when the music calls for it

Because of how I like to listen to EDM, with that extra bass on top. I find the bass to very so slightly leak into the mids however I don't mind that. The V6s would be better for overall genres as I feel the V8s shine for more specific genres that have that bassy tempo. Again, it is all based solely on what your ears have listen to and what you like in certain aspects on how your music sounds. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #5,268 of 7,417
Because of how I like to listen to EDM, with that extra bass on top. I find the bass to very so slightly leak into the mids however I don't mind that. The V6s would be better for overall genres as I feel the V8s shine for more specific genres that have that bassy tempo. Again, it is all based solely on what your ears have listen to and what you like in certain aspects on how your music sounds. 

I had the same feeling that v6s maybe more versatile than v8 when I demo them at a show and put down a deposit to lock in the show pricing for the v6s initially. I felt it had the best balance between a deep bass, clear treble, and good imaging. V8 sounded slightly too dark for me at the time. I came from the er4 sound and isn't really a basshead and listen to classical, jazz, rock/pop, and some metal.

Few days later I went to the dealer to pay the remaining balance, I sit down to demo them again. A few tracks in I find the v8 possess this ability to layer the music, especially more busy passages, better than many of my IEMs and the v6s. I also find the details in treble isn't really less than that of the v6s but is less shape/more refined.

I ended up A/B to them with my AK240 for a good 45 mins or so and became more and more impressed with the v8. I kept thinking this was the type of sound I expected out of the Roxanne (happy JH client here starting from JH5 and now owning JH13fp) and without the need to turn up the volume to enjoy the layering/details that I found was necessary with Roxanne. Ended up switching my order to v8. I guess I would enjoy both and can't go wrong with either.

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #5,269 of 7,417
I had the same feeling that v6s maybe more versatile than v8 when I demo them at a show and put down a deposit to lock in the show pricing for the v6s initially. I felt it had the best balance between a deep bass, clear treble, and good imaging. V8 sounded slightly too dark for me at the time. I came from the er4 sound and isn't really a basshead and listen to classical, jazz, rock/pop, and some metal.

Few days later I went to the dealer to pay the remaining balance, I sit down to demo them again. A few tracks in I find the v8 possess this ability to layer the music, especially more busy passages, better than many of my IEMs and the v6s. I also find the details in treble isn't really less than that of the v6s but is less shape/more refined.

I ended up A/B to them with my AK240 for a good 45 mins or so and became more and more impressed with the v8. I kept thinking this was the type of sound I expected out of the Roxanne (happy JH client here starting from JH5 and now owning JH13fp) and without the need to turn up the volume to enjoy the layering/details that I found was necessary with Roxanne. Ended up switching my order to v8. I guess I would enjoy both and can't go wrong with either.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with the V8s. If I find myself with a track that the bass is quite too much. I just EQ the bass levels down to suit my liking. I totally agree with you on that the V8s sound quite dark, I had the LCD2.2s and they sounded quite similar in terms of mids, treble and bass ( obviously different for sound stage ). 

I myself am currently really tempted to get the V6s just to hear the difference in sound signature. I think I would be happy with both in terms of sq. I had no chance to demo my V8s or any other CIEM and went for a journey in terms of it's sound quality as I had only read reviews on them. I decided that these would suit me better than my V6s. 

I came from Shure SE425s, HD598s :) So these are a step up for me. Then after getting my 2.2s which I sold off for being too heavy for my head.

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #5,270 of 7,417

That's a great story - yes, the V8's can creep up on you with their goodness - their ability to reproduce details without throwing them in your face. They will complement your JH13fp's - you aren't going wrong by any means. 
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #5,272 of 7,417
Has anyone ordered their ears from NY recently? I am trying to order my first pair, but can't find a good affordable audiologist to do the impressions. All the 1984 recommended audiologists I looked up are charging 80-100+ nowadays. Did prices really go up that high since the $30-50 that was mentioned on this thread a few years ago??

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #5,274 of 7,417
  u can just order from their website

He is talking about audiologists to do the ear impression. That's not something you can order from their website :)

As far as prices go, I have no idea, am about to take the first step into the CIEM world myself, after I've been able to demo the V6S. Too bad that 1964ears doesn't seem to be going to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (I live in Denver, so that's in my backyard), that would be a great place to demo all the CIEMS. Will definitely demo CIEMs from other manufacturers.

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #5,275 of 7,417
Has anyone ordered their ears from NY recently? I am trying to order my first pair, but can't find a good affordable audiologist to do the impressions. All the 1984 recommended audiologists I looked up are charging 80-100+ nowadays. Did prices really go up that high since the $30-50 that was mentioned on this thread a few years ago??

It depends where you live I guess. I called a few places a few weeks ago and they charge $40-$100.

If you think that's too much then consider a DIY kit for like $10.

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #5,276 of 7,417
You could also try calling one of jh audio's or westone's recommended audiologists.

http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/about-us/find-a-dealer.html
http://www.jhaudio.com/collection/preferred-audiologists
http://pro.ultimateears.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/find-audiologist

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #5,278 of 7,417
Again, anyone with audiologist experience in the NYC area? I'm asking cuz I'm tired of making calls and inquiries... 
redface.gif

Bobby12 / eligu - where are you 2 located? Close enough for me to take a drive?

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #5,279 of 7,417
go to Julie glick in the midtown area. I've gone to her for my jh13 and uerm. it costs 75 and might be pricey but worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back