1964 Ears
Nov 30, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #6,107 of 7,417
Can I ask a quick question to anyone who's heard the V8s and v6s - in a world where the v6S represents 100%clarity and detail with decent bass, what comparative percentage would you give the v8?

Caveat: before trying the 8's I had been listening to noble 8c and k10, which have great clarity. I say this because I believe brain burn in is very much a thing.

Clarity wise, if v6s is 100%, the 8's are at 80%. Really didn't like the 8's all that much...

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #6,108 of 7,417
For he linum cables: Where ahould the dot be?

Front facing or should it be facing the back?

I read on the Linum thread that for *most* IEM, you should have the dog facing up/back for correct polarity.

There's still virtually no science that supports the idea of a cable improving sound. All evidence is anecdotal. 

Cables can and do have different impedance. There's plenty of scientific and anecdotal evidence that supports impact of impedance on sound signature. Ever checked out rinchoi's blog with sound measurements with and without impedance adapters?

Is it a difference that supports the major $$$ some companies charge for cables? Not at my income level. However, trying out something like stock cable vs. Linum BaX or Music is in my price range and is something I might try out.

Can I ask a quick question to anyone who's heard the V8s and v6s - in a world where the v6S represents 100%clarity and detail with decent bass, what comparative percentage would you give the v8?

Caveat: before trying the 8's I had been listening to noble 8c and k10, which have great clarity. I say this because I believe brain burn in is very much a thing.

Clarity wise, if v6s is 100%, the 8's are at 80%. Really didn't like the 8's all that much...

I just auditioned the 1964 lineup earlier in the week and think this sounds quite reasonable. That said, I do think that V8 have the potential for improved clarity if mid-bass is EQed down and mids are EQed up. This would give you two sound signatures - fun vs. relatively balanced. I'm really hoping someone who has both V6S and V8 will try this simple EQ experiment and let us know how it turns out before end of the 1964/ADEL KS. I certainly wish I'd done it while I was at 1964 HQ, but I didn't think of it before I had to leave.

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #6,109 of 7,417
negroswamy

As an alternative to trying to get V3 upgrade and given your interest in preventing hearing loss, you could back one of the 1964/ADEL IEM on Kickstarter. You can get U4 (Qi) for a good price. It's going to be fuller/warmer than V2 and V3, which can be fun with modern music. Then you could EQ down bass and EQ up mids and highs when you want them to be more neutral. Just a thought.

As far as music files and your iPod are concerned, you can sync AAC, MP3, ALAC, and AIFF (and probably WAV) in increasing orefer of fidelity and size. Most people can't tell the difference between high-quality lossy (AAC, MP3, etc.) and lossless (ALAC, FLAC, AIFF, etc.), especially with lower end gear. You may or may not but would need to try the experiment yourself. My strategy is to encode originals in FLAC and transcode to high-quality AAC as needed.

I've already given my thoughts on amping. I can tell a difference and definitely prefer sound signature from some amps over my DAPs. Amps don't have to compromise as much on internal circuitry, either, so the amp stage will be better than a DAP. People can try and argue otherwise, but they're not going to convince me. Using your DAP without an amp can sound perfectly fine. I bet your be able to tell a difference in sound signature and quality besides sheer loudness when you try a good amp. If using your iPod, make sure to get an LOD (line out dock).

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #6,110 of 7,417
Hi everyone I am currently in the market for my first customs. Right now I only have the Shure SE315, and SE215. If I went for the V6 Stage will these blow my Shures away with sound quality? mostly have over the ear cans, but I want a good pair of ciem's for work. I was pretty happy with the 315's but would like something better. I guess my question is how much better can the V6 stages be. Thanks for any help.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #6,111 of 7,417
  Hi everyone I am currently in the market for my first customs. Right now I only have the Shure SE315, and SE215. If I went for the V6 Stage will these blow my Shures away with sound quality? mostly have over the ear cans, but I want a good pair of ciem's for work. I was pretty happy with the 315's but would like something better. I guess my question is how much better can the V6 stages be. Thanks for any help.

It's not easy/possible to put a number on it like: SQ V6S = 5x SQ SE215.
Maybe you should check (if you haven't done that already) the reviews in this list:
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

I've had both SE215 and SE535 in the past and although they sounded good, the V6S imo is ''shurely'' quite an upgrade over them. When you can afford it, you won't be disappointed. Hope you're still in time for their BF (20% off) sale...

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #6,117 of 7,417
There is a lot of trial and error to make your own and hours of fine tuning the sound with tube length and dampers and crossovers. I cant wait to get a pair of 1964 customs this thread inspired me to get a pair. Now I have to decide what model to purchase.

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #6,119 of 7,417
Yes its a 2 driver setup BA's from Knowles I made the shell and installed the drivers with a simple crossover made from resistors and capacitors. the blue pair is mine and the pair with rhinestone are my daughters she wanted hers to look like Ariana Grande's.

Not one but two pairs of DIY CIEM :flushed:

Props to you, my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back