1964 Ears
Dec 6, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #377 of 7,417
It's about time you decided to write a review considering how many earphones you have had :) Although if you combine your posts on many earphones it probably would equate to a couple of reviews..I look forward to reading your review whenever that is but take your time :p It's looking like your little gamble is paying off since there was just about no information out on them when you decided to get the quads.

I wonder how that uDAC pairing would be. From memory they were a bit warm and forward in midrange. You may get to enjoy a bit forward midrange if you pair them with the quads. The E7 never interested me enough for me to go out and get a pair and I had a pretty good transportable dac/amp by the time they came out anyway.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #378 of 7,417
Thank you @ FallenAngel and rawrster. Hey rawrster, I'm actually listening to Lenny Kravitz' "Are You Gonna Go My Way" through the uDAC now. It does bring the mids forwards some, but still more separation than the SM3. I have the SM3 up for sale, but I need to decide what to do with it soon. I know some people in the states (locally and far away) who would love to hear it and test it out before selling it, although I have some offers I haven't settled on yet. The thing with the SM3 is if I loan it out for head-fiers to hear (which I really don't mind doing) I have to worry about how fragile the arms will be as different people try their own tips. The wrong amount of extra force and those arms will snap. So I have to think about this hard.

Was also thinking about customizing the SM3, but I think I'm more interested in customizing the Klipsch Custom 3.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #379 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're quite welcome @ Region2 and the other guys. That's what we are here for, to share our experiences and opinions. I'll edit and clean up that post later, but I wanted to get some detailed first impressions to my head-fi members as quickly as possible.

These are definitely a bass and mids - focus custom, which gives a lot of weight to the music. For those who prefer the treble and high mids spectrum of music, these might not be for you. That spectrum is there and well represented, and there is neutrality, but the lower end is a focus with these customs. The sound is rich rich rich!! I am loving it!!

So if I am liking the UM3X/SM3, will the treble and high mid on the quad be of same quality or better? Also, I have gotten my TF10 from Amazon and though I find the treble to be excellent, it gets fatiguing after a while. I am trying to understand if the quad is the one that I should go for. Your impression of the mid definitely leaves me wanting to get it more 
bigsmile_face.gif

I have never heard the UM3X, so I can't answer that. The treble on the Quad is there, but smoothed out. But I'm listening to Miles Davis' "Eight-One" now, which has a lot of hi-hat licks in it. There is definitely extension and the the treble is there, with a nice decay on the cymbal, but it's smoothed out - or not harsh and hot like other goo treble I've heard before. The SM3 treble is detailed and there, but warmer. I think this make many think the SM3' treble is recessed. It's not recessed to me. But I hear more extension in the Quad's treble.

Thanks Eric, I am getting one 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #380 of 7,417
Randius, it's been about five hours straight, and I have not gotten up to eat, and I haven't take the Quad out of my ears!! This is getting scary. First, I'm surprised they haven't become uncomfortable because they looked quite big to be going into my ears (I guess I have big deep ear canals). Secondly, the sound hasn't become fatiguing. So if the hours are any indication, I'm really enjoying the Quads! Now, I better force myself to eat something...lol.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #381 of 7,417
Special thanks to >>> aleki for bringing 1964ears to my attention!! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #384 of 7,417

Quote:
Nice impressions Eric I think I might pass.....dynamics do something to me having just heard the Atrio's, dynamic get my vote. I'll keep a watch on this though....

Quote:
I understand at Confispect. Dynamic certainly have their own unique thing going on, but the BAs seem to have a clarity and transparency that some Dynamics get quite close to (the FX700), but never hit the mark. It's almost a tie for me comparing the FX700 and quad, but the quad clearly does several things better than FX700 from a technical standpoint. As for BAs, it's quickly becoming apparent that my custom is the best BA IEM I've yet to hear. I'm not saying that definitively yet, but the best BAs I'ver heard (universals of course) are the SM3, e-Q7 (I know it's a hybrid), SE535 and SM2 (no particular order). The quads are putting them all to shame to my ears at the moment. The closes would be the SM3 and SM2. I think the quads give a big more space like the SM2, but with more details and transparency. The Earsonics are definitely warmer sounding BAs. 

But if I could only keep one universal - BA or Dynamic - it would be the FX700 dynamic. I would choose it and my custom BA is how I feel at the moment.

Well guys, I'll be getting the Future Sonics Ear Monitor dynamic driver custom, so maybe that will add something to the discussion.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #385 of 7,417

Quote:
Randius, it's been about five hours straight, and I have not gotten up to eat, and I haven't take the Quad out of my ears!! This is getting scary. First, I'm surprised they haven't become uncomfortable because they looked quite big to be going into my ears (I guess I have big deep ear canals). Secondly, the sound hasn't become fatiguing. So if the hours are any indication, I'm really enjoying the Quads! Now, I better force myself to eat something...lol.

Totally agree here ... after further listening and spending the whole morning with them, I would say they are definitely not fatiguing which is a very important point. Brighter earphones might sound "better" (subjective) at the first instance, but don't last long as listeners start getting fatigued. 

I have to say again, that the bass, although strong, is definitely NOT overwhelming. Someone mentioned a live performance and I've gotta say Yeah, they sound very much like a Live concert with powerful subwoofers. :) 

On another point, I decided to change from the D12 to the Go-vibe Petite this morning and the Quads sound slightly brighter which for me, gets it closer to my preferences. I can't use the Go-Vibe with the ES5s cos of the hissing ... but with the Quads they barely hiss, prob cos of the higher impedance. That's good news for me! :)

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #386 of 7,417

Hello Kunlun, that would be an interesting comparison. I look forward to your impressions!!
Quote:
Quote:
Nice impressions Eric I think I might pass.....dynamics do something to me having just heard the Atrio's, dynamic get my vote. I'll keep a watch on this though....

Quote:
I understand at Confispect. Dynamic certainly have their own unique thing going on, but the BAs seem to have a clarity and transparency that some Dynamics get quite close to (the FX700), but never hit the mark. It's almost a tie for me comparing the FX700 and quad, but the quad clearly does several things better than FX700 from a technical standpoint. As for BAs, it's quickly becoming apparent that my custom is the best BA IEM I've yet to hear. I'm not saying that definitively yet, but the best BAs I'ver heard (universals of course) are the SM3, e-Q7 (I know it's a hybrid), SE535 and SM2 (no particular order). The quads are putting them all to shame to my ears at the moment. The closes would be the SM3 and SM2. I think the quads give a big more space like the SM2, but with more details and transparency. The Earsonics are definitely warmer sounding BAs. 

But if I could only keep one universal - BA or Dynamic - it would be the FX700 dynamic. I would choose it and my custom BA is how I feel at the moment.

Well guys, I'll be getting the Future Sonics Ear Monitor dynamic driver custom, so maybe that will add something to the discussion.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #388 of 7,417
jermng, I'm glad to read that they are finally coming around for you friend. I was going to hit you up in pm and ask how it was going. And you are right, the bass is strong but not overwhelming. A perfect way to put it, but they can hit sub-woofer level when call for. I'm really digging the sound sig on these customs.

Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree here ... after further listening and spending the whole morning with them, I would say they are definitely not fatiguing which is a very important point. Brighter earphones might sound "better" (subjective) at the first instance, but don't last long as listeners start getting fatigued. 

I have to say again, that the bass, although strong, is definitely NOT overwhelming. Someone mentioned a live performance and I've gotta say Yeah, they sound very much like a Live concert with powerful subwoofers. :) 

On another point, I decided to change from the D12 to the Go-vibe Petite this morning and the Quads sound slightly brighter which for me, gets it closer to my preferences. I can't use the Go-Vibe with the ES5s cos of the hissing ... but with the Quads they barely hiss, prob cos of the higher impedance. That's good news for me! :)

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #389 of 7,417
Well aleki, how I described them is honestly what I hear and I feel about them. The guys here who know me will tell you I don't mince words and try to keep it honest whether I think something great or not (despite of flavor of the month). I never could get into the TF10 or DBA-02, and just marginally liked the SE530. But I went into the Quads as a total guinea pig without high expectations, and those low expectations were blown completely away. These are worth the money. A bang-for-your buck custom! Who would have thought?

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Special thanks to >>> aleki for bringing 1964ears to my attention!! 
beerchug.gif

I'll toast to that!  
beerchug.gif

So, you like them that much eh?

Thanks for the cheers guys. I'm glad the initial few on here are content with them.
Eric, after reading your short take, I'm now 95% sure what my next move will be
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #390 of 7,417
@Eric: Great to hear that they are not fatiguing over long period of listening. 5 hours is a feat! But you should be getting something to eat so you can enjoy them more!

Thankfully 1964ears is having the promotion for both the 1964-Q and international shipping. That makes my entry into custom IEMs much easier. JH13/16 is out of my budget and it is about time to tie the knot next year and that needs a lot of money...

Anyway, I just had my ear impressions done and can't wait to ship them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back