1964 Ears
Jun 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2,476 of 7,417

Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1  does the job perfectly.  No hisses what so ever, and it has great synergy with my trips and the desktop.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #2,477 of 7,417
Thanks for the advice, but the Quads have really left my wallet dry ($720 for all those customizations, postage, and impressions). The D10's I have will have to do for a while.

But yes, the quads are likely picking EMI from the hard drive, other phones I've tried have not had this before. Is it an indication of efficiency or fault? If it is a fault, then I should tell 1964 EARS about it now while they still have my quads for fixing the carbon fiber faceplate.

Quote:
You must be picking EMI from hard drive nearby.  I've noticed alot of static on headphone out on laptops because laptop soundcard is part of the board, so it picks up anything nearby.  I would get a external usb card if it annoys you too much.  I would recommend creative 5.1, it does not hiss with my trips and I'm sure it will not pick up the EMI.  

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #2,478 of 7,417
It's not their fault because thats how the transducers are made, very sensitive.  1964 tunes it with the transducers inside.  JHA, UE, and all big names use the same transducers and they all should have the same sensitivity.  It just means, the phones react very delicate to even small power noise in the system.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but the Quads have really left my wallet dry ($720 for all those customizations, postage, and impressions). The D10's I have will have to do for a while.

But yes, the quads are likely picking EMI from the hard drive, other phones I've tried have not had this before. Is it an indication of efficiency or fault? If it is a fault, then I should tell 1964 EARS about it now while they still have my quads for fixing the carbon fiber faceplate.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2,479 of 7,417
Hi all,
I haven't posted on this thread in a long time.  Just to let anyone who is interested know, I just put my Quads for sale on the Sale forum.  Please check out the ad for details and shoot me a PM if you have questions.

Best,

VV 

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #2,481 of 7,417
I guess after all the time and money sunk into my Quads adventure, it is a big decision to walk away from them, but I'm just tired of sending them back for refits.  Since I purchased them in February, I've only had them in my possession for a total of about 2-3 weeks.   I don't want to say anything bad about 1964's service--they have been amazingly helpful and extremely nice; I just don't want the hassle of sending them back anymore.  I know that everyone has had an excellent experience with customs, including 1964's models, but I think that I'll go back to universals for the time being.  I've been avoiding this thread just for that reason--I didn't want to complain or poopoo a company that I hope the best for.  

Quote:
Wow what happened? It must be a pretty big decision to part with customs.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2,482 of 7,417

Quote:
I guess after all the time and money sunk into my Quads adventure, it is a big decision to walk away from them, but I'm just tired of sending them back for refits.  Since I purchased them in February, I've only had them in my possession for a total of about 2-3 weeks.   I don't want to say anything bad about 1964's service--they have been amazingly helpful and extremely nice; I just don't want the hassle of sending them back anymore.  I know that everyone has had an excellent experience with customs, including 1964's models, but I think that I'll go back to universals for the time being.  I've been avoiding this thread just for that reason--I didn't want to complain or poopoo a company that I hope the best for.  

Yes, there are many who are happy with their customs and would even get a second or third pair, but there's more than a handful of people who are NOT, be that from JHA, UE, UM, etc.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2,483 of 7,417
Just received my Quads. Translucent platinum with clear tips, carbon fiber face and 1964EARS logo. They go much deeper in the ear canal than my Fisher reshells, but they are comfortable. More impressions to come.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #2,484 of 7,417

Quote:
Just received my Quads. Translucent platinum with clear tips, carbon fiber face and 1964EARS logo. They go much deeper in the ear canal than my Fisher reshells, but they are comfortable. More impressions to come.

Congrats! Can't wait to read impressions. Always happy to hear from more 1964-Q owners. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2,485 of 7,417

Quote:
Yes, there are many who are happy with their customs and would even get a second or third pair, but there's more than a handful of people who are NOT, be that from JHA, UE, UM, etc.

That's certainly something to keep in mind. I imagine some ears are more difficult to get good impressions in, or the size/shape makes it difficult for the company to properly place drivers, etc. Unfortunately you wouldn't really know if this was the case until you are already committed to the process. And then of course there are occasional other issues - IEM companies make a mistakes just like everyone else. 

Quote:

Unless they deep enough to actually cause discomfort, I generally find that a deeper fitting canal is better. They tend to give better fit, better isolation, more comfort, and help maintain the seal when you make faces and such. Hopefully the deep fit is a good thing for you as well. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #2,486 of 7,417
I stand corrected.  Maybe I should have said 'many people'.

Quote:

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #2,488 of 7,417

I totally agree that customs should not be anyone's first choice when looking into getting IEMs.  As for me, I pretty much went through all of the top tier IEMs over the past 3 years and thought I'd take the plunge.

Quote:
Quote:
I stand corrected.  Maybe I should have said 'many people'.

It's pretty clear that getting customs is a gamble and maybe shouldn't be someone's first choice when it comes to iem.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2,489 of 7,417
vinnievidi, I wasn't thinking about you. It's more the people who land on the site having only heard iBuds and decide they have to have customs.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2,490 of 7,417
I think the transducers are out of phase.  I talk to 1964(great customer service) and they are going to look into it.  It just doesn't sound right.  Do they usually fix the phase?  It seams out of phase.

Quote:
Actually, I like the echo. I don't think it's necessarily poorly tuned. Some pianos are recorded in studios where the mics pick up on their natural echo. I think many IEMs where you don't hear any echo or reverb are unnatural. But as we always say, to each his or her own. Having listened to a lot of live music, and depending on the room, I know instruments like the piano and drums can have a lot of reverb and echo.

Quote:
Quote:
I get reverb on all pianos.  It's like a really horrible ringing sound.  It is def not from the recording, and def not natural.  It's actually caused inside my ear with the customs.   The custom are causing the reverb.  I have never heard this much reverb on IEMs before, it's unbearable.  With a custom IEM made of acrylic material, its unfortunate it cannot be dampened.  Full size have either dampening material or it is open to get rid of the reverb.  This is quite unfortunate....  I will have to call up 1964 about this...  This is not SQ.

You should probably contact 1964Ears, but it's possible that the triples are revealing to a greater level. I'm testing mine with two different versions of the Goldberg Variations - Dinnerstein and Gould 1955 and there's no reverb there past the natural of the pianos. The Dinnerstein sounds a little "hotter" but that's probably because it's a eMusic download with a crappy bitrate.

Listening to the same tracks with full-sized phones didn't show any huge differences wrt reverb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back