1964 Ears
May 5, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #2,281 of 7,417

cigarillofiend

Head-Fier
Joined
May 4, 2011
Posts
50
Likes
0
Anyone know the turn around time for 1964Ears nowadays?
 
I just sent my impressions in this afternoon. I'm extremely anxious to get my hands on the finished product
 
May 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #2,282 of 7,417

buffalowings

Went way too far, too many times.
Joined
May 14, 2010
Posts
4,542
Likes
40
slight update regarding my quads, 1964 ears replied and gave me the go ahead to make a new impression and will add the soft silicone tips to the new remold. 
 
 
 
May 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #2,283 of 7,417

ericp10

Sits up all night comparing IEMs.
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Posts
7,446
Likes
998
Is it just me or are others noticing too that custom prices are coming down (entry and mid-level) whereas universal prices are going up? I mean come on, Earsonics is charging $130 more ($430) for the SM3 because it's in a better casing (which should have been the case in the first place) and detachable cables? Give me a break. Some may see that there isn't it a big difference between the top tier universals and lower-end customs, but to my ears there is considering the only I've heard - the Quad of course.
 
May 5, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #2,284 of 7,417

DKaz

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Posts
715
Likes
10
I have been noticing that too Eric.  I had the Triple.fi 10 and the DBA2, but ever since I got my 1964T, they have not been used.  The customs are on a completely other level and has made me stop looking at any universals at the $200 and up range.  I still look at lower price ones to have a variety and for times I don't want to use my customs. 
 
The GR07 has actually become very tempting to me.
 
May 5, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #2,285 of 7,417

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
10,567
Likes
209
I don't find universal prices in general going up. I find that top tier universal prices still remain high but as long as there is a demand for them which there is then they can charge that amount without anything to lose.
 
I have not used the 1964-T too much but I will be sending them in for a last refit. The right side goes a bit too deep so will need to send them in again when I am back in town.
 
 
They still are on another level than universals I've heard. Some of them come close to the 1964-T and some do not. However I think I'm mostly done with universals other than trying something that interests me such as the W4 which was a buy to try earphone basically that I almost kept.
 
May 5, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #2,287 of 7,417

buffalowings

Went way too far, too many times.
Joined
May 14, 2010
Posts
4,542
Likes
40
with customs as low as $140, if a person can find a audiologist to do a impression for cheap or by themselves, it's hard not to recommend the custom route over universals, unless a person finds it hard to stick with one sound signature for a good length of time or location dictates the need for a one time shipment.
 
May 5, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,289 of 7,417

patanin1st

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 9, 2010
Posts
162
Likes
11
So far fit is great, sound is great. However, I am disappointed by a few things:
 
1. The 1/8" - 1/4" adapter plug immediately broke when I tried plugging the IEM into for the first time. Fell apart into 2 pieces with the base 1 piece, and the tip 1 piece. Awesome.
2. Before doing the faceplate, they did not confirm/notify/clarify or whatsoever and went ahead and used a printout of carbon fibre instead of the real carbon fibre. To this point, I am still thinking whether I should push this topic on since I am not quite happy with the outcome, and may not be able to live with it.
 
Those aside,
 
Does anybody know what or how they cable keeps itself from unravelling? I got really annoyed of the memory wire because it keeps pushing my glasses off. Ended up cutting out the memory wire and the silicone covering it along the way. However, the part of cable by that memory wire is not braided/twisted as like the other parts, and I'm afraid it will unravel the rest of the cable if I don't do something about it. Any solutions possible?
 
Here's how it looks at the moment.

 
May 6, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #2,291 of 7,417

tkalee

Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Posts
84
Likes
11
I had the same problem with the memory wire on my UM2s, and 1964 uses the same cable. My solution was to cut off only a short section of the plastic tubing, while retaining the memory wire. I wanted to cut off the whole thing, but saw that the cabling wasn't braided in that section.
 
Maybe some electrical tape?
 
I sent off my impressions today. Unfortunately, the audiologist I went to didn't have a bite block and instead suggested I bit my fingers. So I did, but I'm worried that the bite wasn't a full 2" and may have moved during the setting. Oh, well. Guess I'll find out in a few months' time.
 
I went for clear shells. No custom art, except for a mini-sized 1964 logo in the corner of one of the shells.
 
May 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #2,292 of 7,417

yzfr191

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Posts
9
Likes
0
1964 ears received my impressions yesterday, so I am excited that I am finally on my way to experiencing custom IEMs.
 
I am going with the triple drivers, hopefully they will be a nice step up from my previous universals.
 
Is it necessary for the wire to go over your ear?
 
May 6, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2,293 of 7,417

jayehs

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Posts
328
Likes
10
I think you should send it back.  Or ask for $50 refund.  Charging $50 for a printout of carbon fibre is unacceptable IMO.
 
Do you have any more pictures?  I'm curious to see how the gradient between clear tip and blue turned out.  I was thinking of that combo.  Thanks
 
Quote:
So far fit is great, sound is great. However, I am disappointed by a few things:
 
1. The 1/8" - 1/4" adapter plug immediately broke when I tried plugging the IEM into for the first time. Fell apart into 2 pieces with the base 1 piece, and the tip 1 piece. Awesome.
2. Before doing the faceplate, they did not confirm/notify/clarify or whatsoever and went ahead and used a printout of carbon fibre instead of the real carbon fibre. To this point, I am still thinking whether I should push this topic on since I am not quite happy with the outcome, and may not be able to live with it.
 
Those aside,
 
Does anybody know what or how they cable keeps itself from unravelling? I got really annoyed of the memory wire because it keeps pushing my glasses off. Ended up cutting out the memory wire and the silicone covering it along the way. However, the part of cable by that memory wire is not braided/twisted as like the other parts, and I'm afraid it will unravel the rest of the cable if I don't do something about it. Any solutions possible?
 
Here's how it looks at the moment.



 
 
May 6, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #2,294 of 7,417

buffalowings

Went way too far, too many times.
Joined
May 14, 2010
Posts
4,542
Likes
40


Quote:
1964 ears received my impressions yesterday, so I am excited that I am finally on my way to experiencing custom IEMs.
 
I am going with the triple drivers, hopefully they will be a nice step up from my previous universals.
 
Is it necessary for the wire to go over your ear?


yes, with the memory wire and the design as it is, wearing it over the ears affords the best comfort and fit
 
 
May 6, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2,295 of 7,417

Nightslayer

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 9, 2010
Posts
596
Likes
13


Quote:
yes, with the memory wire and the design as it is, wearing it over the ears affords the best comfort and fit
 

I wonder, could you ask them to place the output jack on the earphone in such a way that the cable can go straight down..?
 
 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top