19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Aug 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #436 of 687
Just got the white UERM cable and my love for my ER4B has been restored! Perfect length, no microphonics, looks cool, fits around my ears, sounds great, and costs next to nothing. Glad I saw this thread before impulse buying a $200+ cable...

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #438 of 687
Quote:
Just got the white UERM cable and my love for my ER4B has been restored! Perfect length, no microphonics, looks cool, fits around my ears, sounds great, and costs next to nothing. Glad I saw this thread before impulse buying a $200+ cable...

Good to hear you got a good solution!  

Quote:
Joe, can you compare between silver dragon and magnus mainly on the flexibility and the general ergonomics. Thanks!

The Silver Dragon has pretty good ergonomics and the flexibility is fine, but it is stiffer than the braided Magnus cable gets the same score as the UE cable, a 10.  

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #439 of 687
Hey Joe (or anyone else that can provide an opinion),

I'm back on the cable road again for my TF10s. Just sold my Chris_Himself cable because I couldn't deal with the microphonics. It's a pity too, because that was a great sounding cable.

Now I'm choosing between the Null Audio Arete, Lune, and this BTG cable if anyone has heard it: http://btg-audio.webs.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2706350&mode=product&product=12596470

I really loved how the CH cable brought out the mids very forward (I'm guessing that was the silver; too bad the silver was also what caused the microphonics). It seems that the Lune might be closer to that sound signature than the Arete? Seems like the Arete brings out the mids a bit too, but I'm guessing not as much? I have the UM3X too and I love the vocals on that, so if they can get to that point, I guess that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #440 of 687
I ordered the Lune and TWag Eclipse, I am yet to receive them.

I also considered the BTG cable but after doing some reading i found that he uses the same wires that are used within the Mogami 2893 microphone cable, I could not bring myself to buy an upgrade cable made with wires from a microphone cable.
The black sleeving also looks bulky for a IEM cable.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #441 of 687
Quote:
I ordered the Lune and TWag Eclipse, I am yet to receive them.
I also considered the BTG cable but after doing some reading i found that he uses the same wires that are used within the Mogami 2893 microphone cable, I could not bring myself to buy an upgrade cable made with wires from a microphone cable.
The black sleeving also looks bulky for a IEM cable.

Hm yeah. I got back from Brian at BTG and he said that his cable doesn't fit the Triple.Fi. Too bad.

The Lune cable looks quite thick too. Seems like it might have my preferred sound signature though.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #442 of 687
I've had the Arete cable, sonically it wasn't as detailed as the CH cable...I think the Arete is copper also..

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #443 of 687
Quote:
I've had the Arete cable, sonically it wasn't as detailed as the CH cable...I think the Arete is copper also..

Yeah, I think the Arete is copper too. But, I was thinking that the Lune cable might have the same microphonics problems as the CH cable if it's silver.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #444 of 687
Most of the microphonics came from the stiff solid core. Now CH cables uses a stranded variety, which should decrease the microphonics. Waiting a little before I order a new cable, but I should hopefully have some of the new wire soon.
Quote:

Yeah, I think the Arete is copper too. But, I was thinking that the Lune cable might have the same microphonics problems as the CH cable if it's silver.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #446 of 687
Quote:
Most of the microphonics came from the stiff solid core. Now CH cables uses a stranded variety, which should decrease the microphonics. Waiting a little before I order a new cable, but I should hopefully have some of the new wire soon.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Chris has switched over yet.

Might go for the Lune cable though; should have the dynamic sound I want.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #447 of 687
I believe he just recently got his order of cables in, or will be receiving them soon. I know they shipped from manufacturer like two weeks ago. Can't remember if he said they arrived. He did mention all orders that he receives now though will be getting the new cable. 
Quote:

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #448 of 687

Looking at the site Chris himself says he has copper and silver plated wire coming which he will also sell by the foot and not silver like the solid silver wire they had.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #449 of 687
Yea, they changed up the type of wire. No more Solid core or Pure silver wire anymore. 
Quote:
Looking at the site Chris himself says he has copper and silver plated wire coming which he will also sell by the foot and not silver like the solid silver wire they had.

EDIT: Just got an email. Chris_Himself's wire shipment has arrived. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #450 of 687
Quote:

Quote:
I believe he just recently got his order of cables in, or will be receiving them soon. I know they shipped from manufacturer like two weeks ago. Can't remember if he said they arrived. He did mention all orders that he receives now though will be getting the new cable. 

Quote:

Yeah it's here. You guys are free to contact me for pics of completed stuff with the new wire. I'm not sure I can reply with a picture even though you guys are talking about it. I've accidently broken the rules a couple times this month already and I want to stay on Head-Fi's good side :)

But yes it's very much here and the pre-tubed wire means it's quicker to build cables than ever. (seriously like 60% faster now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back