19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Aug 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #421 of 687
Agreed, but We have yet to see or hear how Chris_Himself's new wire is. I'm excited to find out. 
Quote:
I have Chris himself cable too. They are no where as flexible as toxic cable. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #422 of 687
Does anyone from Null Audio post here? The Arete cable pictured on their website is different than the one reviewed here. I just want to make sure which one I'm actually ordering.

This is what's on the website:

EDIT: Also, do you know if the old UERM cable will fit westone 2-pin connections? 

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #423 of 687
Too bad that's silver plated copper instead of pure silver.

Quote:
The Toxic Cables cable is much more flexible than the old stock of Chris_Himself cables. He's getting in a new order of a stranded variety, so it will increase flexibility. Not sure how flexible the IEM cable is, but I have an LOD of Toxic Cables that gives you a pretty good idea of flexibility. I also have a Chris_Himself LOD, so it's comparing apples to apples in this case

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #424 of 687
Yes, and just copper variety too. Sound travels on the outside, shouldn't have much of an effect that its not a silver core anyways
Quote:
Too bad that's silver plated copper instead of pure silver.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #425 of 687
Well I'll keep looking for stranded pure silver cables under $100 
redface.gif

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #426 of 687
Completely understandable. Cables are a weird thing where some may hear a difference others may not so if you want pure you want pure, just because to you it sounds different. I gotta test out his new cables before i make my decision, but I don't know when that'll be.
Quote:
Well I'll keep looking for stranded pure silver cables under $100 
redface.gif

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #428 of 687
Yea, pretty sure you're correct, but it's about the type of wire too. Chris_Himself's new wire will be OCC stranded wire. 
Quote:
I could me mistaken, but I thought that solid-core wire has fewer crystal boundaries, anyone know if this is right?

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #429 of 687
I have been researching in cables and wires for the past 8 months, and have been told from a reputable wire manufacturer that:

1. If the strands that make up the wire are too thin, then the properties of the single crystalline structure are adversely affected
  1. During the manufacturing of electroplated wires, e.g. silver plated copper wires, the silver will NOT have the single crystalline structure due to the electroplating process, but the copper would still have the single crystal structure

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #430 of 687
Interesting. It all makes sense. It all still comes down to how it sounds in the end though. And how it is in build quality and flexibility and micro phonics. So, I still will be waiting or talkign to Chris_Himself about getting some of the new wire to try it out for myself or to find out who's reviews are of the new stuff.
Quote:
I have been researching in cables and wires for the past 8 months, and have been told from a reputable wire manufacturer that:

1. If the strands that make up the wire are too thin, then the properties of the single crystalline structure are adversely affected
  1. During the manufacturing of electroplated wires, e.g. silver plated copper wires, the silver will NOT have the single crystalline structure due to the electroplating process, but the copper would still have the single crystal structure

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #431 of 687
One last interesting note before we veer off topic too much:

Taken from the Cardas Audio website: http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=faqs&content_id=6&pagestring=Cable+Materials

"Silver Plated, Copper Conductors

Q.) First off, I like your cables very much, and use them in my system. After reading about various manufacturers using silver-plated copper in their interconnect and speaker cable designs, I was just curious what it is about copper that you like so much that you prefer using it over silverplate.

A.) Well basically it sounds better. Cables are a dynamic system, prone to ring. Like any other system without a little loss they will resonate, like a speaker box with no stuffing inside or phono cartridge with no damper. Ultra pure copper is ideal for audio purposes in most designs.

Plated conductors are inherently impure mediums with bi-metal junctions and are not suitable for audio use in my estimation. - George"

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #433 of 687
Quote:
I'm torn between the Null Audio Lune, DHC Symbiote, and the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. I'll be using it with my Etymotic ER4B. Any suggestions to sway me one way?

My biggest concern with the Etys is having no microphonic feedback on the cord, and good over the ear fit. 

The Symbiote cable is quite thick and I think with an ER4B, the Lune or Arete would be the best pairing from an ergonomic standpoint, although the SD is also good.  Are there components in the cable of the ER4B?

Quote:
Does anyone from Null Audio post here? The Arete cable pictured on their website is different than the one reviewed here. I just want to make sure which one I'm actually ordering.

This is what's on the website:

EDIT: Also, do you know if the old UERM cable will fit westone 2-pin connections? 

It is the same thing, mine just has a jacket on it.  The before Sept 1, 2010 cables from will fit a Westone socket.

Quote:
Yes, and just copper variety too. Sound travels on the outside, shouldn't have much of an effect that its not a silver core anyways

The audio frequencies actually travel on the interior of the wire.  You have to go up to UHF (or is it VHF) to get the signal to travel on the skin.
Quote:
One last interesting note before we veer off topic too much:

Taken from the Cardas Audio website: http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=faqs&content_id=6&pagestring=Cable+Materials

"Silver Plated, Copper Conductors

Q.) First off, I like your cables very much, and use them in my system. After reading about various manufacturers using silver-plated copper in their interconnect and speaker cable designs, I was just curious what it is about copper that you like so much that you prefer using it over silverplate.

A.) Well basically it sounds better. Cables are a dynamic system, prone to ring. Like any other system without a little loss they will resonate, like a speaker box with no stuffing inside or phono cartridge with no damper. Ultra pure copper is ideal for audio purposes in most designs.

Plated conductors are inherently impure mediums with bi-metal junctions and are not suitable for audio use in my estimation. - George"

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  The Heir Audio cable, for example, is silver plated copper but sounds better than a stock cable while some silver plated copper Belden wire I tried at one point sounded worse than pure copper.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #434 of 687
Thanks for the responses average_joe. The Arete seems like a good deal, but I ordered the UERM cable first because it's 60 bucks less so I'll see how that works out.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #435 of 687
Quote:
Thanks for the responses average_joe. The Arete seems like a good deal, but I ordered the UERM cable first because it's 60 bucks less so I'll see how that works out.

OK, cool.  Let us know how you like the UERM cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back