19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Jul 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #406 of 687
Quote:
Oh, hello.

This makes me wish I had a cool element of a logo to integrate into a CIEM. Very nice. I bet you got a whole room filled of cables you've tried with those things.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #407 of 687
Actually I'm starting from scratch figuring out how to cable these, they are my first CIEM but not my first IEM, they are very unique in their sound though.  Lots of options for sure.  And the cable has to fit inside the case...

Westone charged me a gruesome amount for the double logo and the rush express service.  These are now my most expensive headphone, beating my wholesale-obtained LCD3s and original price HD800s.

About microphonics, this whole phenomenon is overrated.  Teflon based wires are the most compact but have the most microphonics as people call them, since the insulation is firmer and thinner.  The trade off is that polyethylene insulated cables are larger.  When your music is off and you run your fingers up and down certain cables, there's that fun rattling noise.  But when your music is going, it's really not a huge concern...you hear the music.  And most times when you're listening, you're chilling out and not bonking the cable around.  

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #408 of 687
Congrats on the CIEM's. I love my CIEM's as well. I notice that just the stock IEM cable on mine and using my CH Silver Ray LOD causes an extreme amount of microphonics when I walk around campus. I plug my CIEM's into my iPod and continue walking and no microphonics effect (or very very minimal if at all). 

Back to cables, I think your cables interest me the most since you always are seeming to work on interesting cables more so than any other company I follow. Mine cost a boat load too....let me know when you come up with the most epic of cable solutions. I'm definitely interested to hear what you come up with, and would totally be willing to beta test some cables if you want :-D
Quote:
Actually I'm starting from scratch figuring out how to cable these, they are my first CIEM but not my first IEM, they are very unique in their sound though.  Lots of options for sure.  And the cable has to fit inside the case...

Westone charged me a gruesome amount for the double logo and the rush express service.  These are now my most expensive headphone, beating my wholesale-obtained LCD3s and original price HD800s.

About microphonics, this whole phenomenon is overrated.  Teflon based wires are the most compact but have the most microphonics as people call them, since the insulation is firmer and thinner.  The trade off is that polyethylene insulated cables are larger.  When your music is off and you run your fingers up and down certain cables, there's that fun rattling noise.  But when your music is going, it's really not a huge concern...you hear the music.  And most times when you're listening, you're chilling out and not bonking the cable around.  

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #409 of 687
Quote:
Congrats on the CIEM's. I love my CIEM's as well. I notice that just the stock IEM cable on mine and using my CH Silver Ray LOD causes an extreme amount of microphonics when I walk around campus. I plug my CIEM's into my iPod and continue walking and no microphonics effect (or very very minimal if at all). 

Back to cables, I think your cables interest me the most since you always are seeming to work on interesting cables more so than any other company I follow. Mine cost a boat load too....let me know when you come up with the most epic of cable solutions. I'm definitely interested to hear what you come up with, and would totally be willing to beta test some cables if you want :-D

Microphonics as they apply to this sort of audio is just the mechanical vibrations that translate to your ear when you bump your IEM cable with the music off.  You can't get them with interconnects though, that's basically impossible.  The stock cables still have plenty of microphonics, in that if you twiddle the wire that's attached to your ears, you'll feel vibrations.  Firmer wires have more microphonics though.  But I don't get how an LOD could cause that when it's not mechanically coupled to your ears.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #411 of 687
I am not quite sure, but I have strong winds around my college campus and I can repeated try what I said in my previous post and without fail it's the CH LOD. I've even tried other LOD's using other wire and I was fine as well. It's a weird phenomenon, maybe the signal is getting weird from wind as it enters my amp section and that gets amplified. 
Quote:
But I don't get how an LOD could cause that when it's not mechanically coupled to your ears.

Quote:
Microphonics from a LOD eh...   .......

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #412 of 687
Quote:
I am not quite sure, but I have strong winds around my college campus and I can repeated try what I said in my previous post and without fail it's the CH LOD. I've even tried other LOD's using other wire and I was fine as well. It's a weird phenomenon, maybe the signal is getting weird from wind as it enters my amp section and that gets amplified. 

Sound more likely to be an intermittent short than mirco phonics.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #413 of 687
Aug 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #414 of 687
I don't quite agree as it experiences no signs of shorting when I move the cable around, it's only when It's very windy around and using that LOD. I literally hear the wind like the LOD is picking it up like a microphone would. any ideas on how to test and know for sure?
Quote:

I agree.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #415 of 687

Posted this on the other thread:) Since no one mentioned toxic cable here, thought I should add it here. Have tried twag and Chris himself before, this silver toxic cable certainly level up (if not top) their build qualities. Very flexible, great finish. It pairs JH16 pretty well by adding a bit more smoothness and depth to the sound. The OM connector pins fits perfectly. More importantly, this cable provides a slightly brighter presentation to the 5 way (more aggressive in a good way), so that the details is easier to be heard. The bass seems to be a bit tightened too. Great match with 801+Game. Also the cable fits in the recessed socket really very tightly (twag cable can be easily pulled out when inserted in). Frank from Toxic cable is absolutely helpful and responsive. He replies emails within 2 hours normally. They have plenty IEMs cable options. I have another sliver plated copper cable coming for my 5 way exclusively!
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #416 of 687
Quote:
I don't quite agree as it experiences no signs of shorting when I move the cable around, it's only when It's very windy around and using that LOD. I literally hear the wind like the LOD is picking it up like a microphone would. any ideas on how to test and know for sure?

Quite odd.  I suppose you could test by grabbing the LOD when it the noise occurs and see if that stops it as it sounds like it is somehow transferring mechanical energy (of course, you can't have wind turn into an electrical signal :wink:).

Quote:

Posted this on the other thread:) Since no one mentioned toxic cable here, thought I should add it here. Have tried twag and Chris himself before, this silver toxic cable certainly level up (if not top) their build qualities. Very flexible, great finish. It pairs JH16 pretty well by adding a bit more smoothness and depth to the sound. The OM connector pins fits perfectly. More importantly, this cable provides a slightly brighter presentation to the 5 way (more aggressive in a good way), so that the details is easier to be heard. The bass seems to be a bit tightened too. Great match with 801+Game. Also the cable fits in the recessed socket really very tightly (twag cable can be easily pulled out when inserted in). Frank from Toxic cable is absolutely helpful and responsive. He replies emails within 2 hours normally. They have plenty IEMs cable options. I have another sliver plated copper cable coming for my 5 way exclusively!
wink.gif

Nice, the Toxic cable does look very nice, but unfortunately I don't have the time in my schedule for a review...I hope in the upcoming months...

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #417 of 687
I'm torn between the Null Audio Lune, DHC Symbiote, and the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. I'll be using it with my Etymotic ER4B. Any suggestions to sway me one way?

My biggest concern with the Etys is having no microphonic feedback on the cord, and good over the ear fit. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #418 of 687
Quote:

wink.gif

When you say very flexible, is it like the standard iem cable that most custom cable comes with? Cause I just purchased Chris_Himself cable, while everything looks nice, the cable is quite stiff and I dislike that.

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #419 of 687
The Toxic Cables cable is much more flexible than the old stock of Chris_Himself cables. He's getting in a new order of a stranded variety, so it will increase flexibility. Not sure how flexible the IEM cable is, but I have an LOD of Toxic Cables that gives you a pretty good idea of flexibility. I also have a Chris_Himself LOD, so it's comparing apples to apples in this case

Quote:

When you say very flexible, is it like the standard iem cable that most custom cable comes with? Cause I just purchased Chris_Himself cable, while everything looks nice, the cable is quite stiff and I dislike that.

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #420 of 687
Quote:

I have Chris himself cable too. They are no where as flexible as toxic cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back