$1295 Aurender FLOW - portable DAC/amp with mSATA slot for up to 1TB SSD
Dec 7, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #61 of 237
Thank you. So far only 15 hrs burn-in since last night. I was charging whilst letting it burn overnight but I think consumption is greater than charge rate so by morning today, the battery percentage had dropped (but still going). I won't comment sonically yet as it's still fresh out of the box, my mind is also fresh from a new toy, but I couldn't resist comparing it to my Invicta/Zana Deux DIY SE, CLAS -dB/Duet, & VentureCraft DD OPA627SM LE/Apex Glacier - but I'll keep the thoughts to myself for now. All I will say though is that I'm glad I got it.

Meanwhile as for operation it works great for PCs, but I'm having a little bit of a finicky problem with iDevices running into the "accessory requires too much power" issues. It will work when charging is set to - (i.e. no charging during use) but then the iDevice needs to be powercycled after that - I can't switch back 'n forth between The Flow & the other aforementioned iDevice DAC/Amps seamlessly. By the time I get it working with my iPad/iPhone, I've forgotten how the CLAS or VentureCraft set sounded.

Operation on PC is much easier. I could have my A+ switch back 'n forth between the Invicta & The Flow pretty quickly.

I've not been able to get it working with my Sony NW-ZX1 yet. Maybe a normal Android Smartphone may work more smoothly than this Android music player.

Ah... Thanks for that, Anakchan. Pretty much similar experience as I have had with it. Works like a dream off my MacMini and switching it easily with my Bricasti on JRiver Media Center 20.

Yup! iDevices runs up against that issue unless charging is set to off. Actually, you can select on the Flow menu that you are using iDevices and power charging is automatically switched off.

I am still waiting for my Sony cable to arrive and so have not tried the ZX-1 yet. But it works nicely with the AK240 and AK100 via toslink. It's a classy stock Toslink cable, isn't it?

Look forward to your further impressions, Anakchan. But thus far, I must say that it is a refined and transparent device. I've tried it with the AKG K812, Fostex TH500RP and TH900 and they all sound good off the Flow. Works well with the Tralucent iems and the Fitear 335. :)

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #62 of 237
The Sony WMC-NWH10 was waiting for me yesterday evening when I got back from a short trip to HK where I got to hang out with Spkrs01 and CosmicHolyGhost. :)

With this cable, I managed to get the Sony ZX-1 to work with the Hugo as well as the Flow. Under the Menu, you just have to select Android as the input device. :)

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #63 of 237
Wow, really? I had problems :). But I didn't try/know about the Menu/Android device. I thought it was auto. Good to know!! Will try again tonight.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #64 of 237
Wow, really? I had problems :). But I didn't try/know about the Menu/Android device. I thought it was auto. Good to know!! Will try again tonight.

Anakchan, just press the menu button twice, that will bring you to the source selection. You then use the fwd or back button to scroll the choices. :)

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #65 of 237
Anakchan, just press the menu button twice, that will bring you to the source selection. You then use the fwd or back button to scroll the choices.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers, yes I've been playing with the menu (but mainly for the CHG-/CHGA/CHG+ which seems to be somewhat quite relevant esp for iDevices that will supply no more than 20mA to get sync). Will try the Android part tonight...I only gave it 45 sec the last time and went back to my iPad :D.

So far though I'm very highly impressed with the Flow. Although I don't own the Hugo and it had been tempting me for a long time, I think with the Flow it's taken the Hugo temptation off almost if not, completely.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #66 of 237
Cheers, yes I've been playing with the menu (but mainly for the CHG-/CHGA/CHG+ which seems to be somewhat quite relevant esp for iDevices that will supply no more than 20mA to get sync). Will try the Android part tonight...I only gave it 45 sec the last time and went back to my iPad :D.

So far though I'm very highly impressed with the Flow. Although I don't own the Hugo and it had been tempting me for a long time, I think with the Flow it's taken the Hugo temptation off almost if not, completely.

Anakchan, actually once you select either the iOS or Android options, the charging function automatically turns off. Or at least in my experience. :)

I spent about a week listening to it with full-sized cans in place of my desktop DAC and amp. Quite impressive for a little parcel.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #67 of 237
Anakchan, actually once you select either the iOS or Android options, the charging function automatically turns off. Or at least in my experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

I spent about a week listening to it with full-sized cans in place of my desktop DAC and amp. Quite impressive for a little parcel.

Can the FLOW drive the HD800 satisfactorily?

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #68 of 237
Can the FLOW drive the HD800 satisfactorily?

Hey Pekingduck! How are you doing? I had a few hours listen. It seemed to drive it satisfactorily. I also tried it with the AKG K812, the TH900 and TH500RP. In fact, it has great synergy with the TH900. :)

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #69 of 237
By the way, there's an online manual for the Flow now. In addition to the download of the Quick Start Guide.

http://www.aurender.com/manual_v1000.php

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #71 of 237
hi Michael
so far i know this SSD as extended memory .you need still DAP to manage your songs on your SSD insite Aurender.thats mean can use as stand alone DAP

Actually just to fix up a little bit of terminology, the SSD is just storage capacity - not extended memory. Just think of it as external USB storage really. Also I'm not aware of DAPs that can access that external storage - definitely not the iDevices for now. And similarly for quite a few Android (unless it's a rooted Android with some mass storage driver kernel module loaded?).

The back/forward/pause buttons tend to throw ppl off thinking that it may be DAP. Those buttons act more like remote buttons to the actual player (running on your PC or iDevice). (What I've tested is ) It does actually work with my iMac's iTunes, Audirvana Plus 2.0x, and with my iPhone/iPad Onkyo Player & Music player. Not so useful for the portable iDevice but I actually use it quite a bit when the Flow is hooked up to my Mac.

Edit: I'd actually like to expand more. I don't remember writing about the below in my initial Aurender Flow post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/738861/1295-aurender-flow-portable-dac-amp-with-msata-slot-for-up-to-1tb-ssd/15#post_10988068) :-

I asked Harry about why the appearance of the of a DAP but not designed to be a DAP. The idea is that it was meant to be a component to be plugged to his notebook. However instead of plugging in multiple devices (i.e. a large USB storage using one USB and a DAC/Amp using another) he thought why not combine the two. So that's why there's a large storage capacity. The buttons basically allows (and it does!) somewhat more independence of controlling the music whilst doing something else on the PC (i.e. not having to back 'n forth between the broswer and music player, etc). And to be honest, I do actually end up using the Flow that way too at home.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #72 of 237
It would be fun to connect FLOW and battery-powered Wi-Fi router. Install third party firmware like dd-wrt or OpenWRT with Music Player Daemon plus support for both USB Mass Storage and USB Audio. Then control MPD from Android or iOS devices

5488f9f6b3f40.png

5488f9fcb6c73.jpg

Another one with Windows 8.1 and simply install foobar2000 or JRMC, then control that from Android or iOS devices as usual

聯強 Lemel 智慧電腦棒

光棍一号双系统MiniPC

MeegoPad T01

APM-D01

5488fd0ebb457.jpg

5488fd16bed60.jpg

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #73 of 237
Hey Pekingduck! How are you doing? I had a few hours listen. It seemed to drive it satisfactorily. I also tried it with the AKG K812, the TH900 and TH500RP. In fact, it has great synergy with the TH900.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey there I am doing fine, thanks! After going through all the posts, I still only have a (very) vague idea of how the FLOW sounds.  From Currawong:

My Flow came in this afternoon. It has an impressive sound with the LCD-X, but my Hugo rig (albeit at something of an advantage) sounds slightly more effortless and realistic where the Flow is a bit more lively and in-your-face, but only in direct comparison. When I first heard the Flow I had no idea what was in it and I wouldn't have guessed. It is safer to actually ignore its specs (unless you want to drive HE-6s) because it does a fantastic job of not sounding like what it is.

I think it is going to be to the Hugo what the Calyx M is to the AK240.

It seems the FLOW is lush sounding? Can you (or anyone) give me some rough idea about the voicing? Thanks 
cool.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #74 of 237
Hey there I am doing fine, thanks! After going through all the posts, I still only have a (very) vague idea of how the FLOW sounds.  From Currawong:

It seems the FLOW is lush sounding? Can you (or anyone) give me some rough idea about the voicing? Thanks :cool:  

Hmm... I still burning mine in. Was interrupted by my trip up to HK. :) What I will say is that the voicing is more towards transparent and detailed than lush. I think when Currawong mentioned the Calyx M and AK240, I don't think he meant that the Flow is warm like the M but rather available at a lower price point?

:)

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #75 of 237
Actually just to fix up a little bit of terminology, the SSD is just storage capacity - not extended memory. Just think of it as external USB storage really. Also I'm not aware of DAPs that can access that external storage - definitely not the iDevices for now. And similarly for quite a few Android (unless it's a rooted Android with some mass storage driver kernel module loaded?).

The back/forward/pause buttons tend to throw ppl off thinking that it may be DAP. Those buttons act more like remote buttons to the actual player (running on your PC or iDevice). (What I've tested is ) It does actually work with my iMac's iTunes, Audirvana Plus 2.0x, and with my iPhone/iPad Onkyo Player & Music player. Not so useful for the portable iDevice but I actually use it quite a bit when the Flow is hooked up to my Mac.

Edit: I'd actually like to expand more. I don't remember writing about the below in my initial Aurender Flow post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/738861/1295-aurender-flow-portable-dac-amp-with-msata-slot-for-up-to-1tb-ssd/15#post_10988068) :-

I asked Harry about why the appearance of the of a DAP but not designed to be a DAP. The idea is that it was meant to be a component to be plugged to his notebook. However instead of plugging in multiple devices (i.e. a large USB storage using one USB and a DAC/Amp using another) he thought why not combine the two. So that's why there's a large storage capacity. The buttons basically allows (and it does!) somewhat more independence of controlling the music whilst doing something else on the PC (i.e. not having to back 'n forth between the broswer and music player, etc). And to be honest, I do actually end up using the Flow that way too at home.

Thank you Sean for more information about SSD for Aurender Flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back