$1295 Aurender FLOW - portable DAC/amp with mSATA slot for up to 1TB SSD
Nov 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #46 of 237
  Thanks, I read that, my comment was more of providing a feedback regarding an inadequate communication in contrast to what Gavin experienced. 

Still priced at $1295 it is a good side and I am sure performance will not disappointed based on the few people who had tried it (and one liking it as much as HUGO).

Tried ordering it but sadly the preorder is only for US resident. The local dealer does not even know if they is getting it till Q1 2015.

Yes it's the comparison to Hugo is what I'm most interested in too. Although I have heard the Hugo and the Flow, I heard them independently. I've heard some folks pefer the Hugo slightly over the Flow (but not at the cost of the Hugo), and some prefer the Flow over the Hugo (and this is a small core group 'cos at least only in Japan there was only 5-6 of us there at the Flow private demo). Not to ignore the flagship audio elites who were at the private demo, I'd still like to see a greater audience for a greater consensus. However seeing that there's little concensus of Flow vs Hugo, that could also be a good sign as it means there's no outright winner. That puts the Flow in a very good position.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #47 of 237
My Flow came in this afternoon. It has an impressive sound with the LCD-X, but my Hugo rig (albeit at something of an advantage) sounds slightly more effortless and realistic where the Flow is a bit more lively and in-your-face, but only in direct comparison. When I first heard the Flow I had no idea what was in it and I wouldn't have guessed. It is safer to actually ignore its specs (unless you want to drive HE-6s) because it does a fantastic job of not sounding like what it is.

I think it is going to be to the Hugo what the Calyx M is to the AK240.

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #48 of 237
My Flow has arrived. :)

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #49 of 237
My Flow has arrived.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, you will be able to explain us what exactly is it for (why are there some storage inside while not being a stand-alone device)
biggrin.gif

-->  Can your DAP play your music which is stored INSIDE the Flow ? ?

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #50 of 237

So, you will be able to explain us what exactly is it for (why are there some storage inside while not being a stand-alone device)
biggrin.gif

You need a device that can access that. Since he is using a optical connect from AK240 the answer is no. 

I don't even think there is any portable DAP that can access the internal storage of Aurender, maybe apple can but that is a big maybe! 

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #51 of 237
  You need a device that can access that. Since he is using a optical connect from AK240 the answer is no. 

I don't even think there is any portable DAP that can access the internal storage of Aurender, maybe apple can but that is a big maybe! 

Nope, this was also answered earlier on page 2. The only possibility is maybe an Android device with UAPP. That hasn't been tested yet AFAIK. I have to admit the Flow has been tempting me since I tried it a month ago.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #52 of 237
So, you will be able to explain us what exactly is it for (why are there some storage inside while not being a stand-alone device) :D

You need two things: first, to install a mSATA SSD inside; use a laptop to play the music inside.

You can't do it with a DAP, idevice or android. As far as I know. That is pretty much stated in their website. The SSD is for storage convenience to supplement the storage on the laptop.

In that sense, it is similar to the Hugo. :)

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #53 of 237

Nope, this was also answered earlier on page 2. The only possibility is maybe an Android device with UAPP. That hasn't been tested yet AFAIK. I have to admit the Flow has been tempting me since I tried it a month ago.

I am lucky HUGO has killed all curiosity of getting any more dac/amp over 500 USD. It has set the bar real high. 

On the other hand I am really having fun with Denon DA-10....... I hope hat tempts .

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #54 of 237
  I am lucky HUGO has killed all curiosity of getting any more dac/amp over 500 USD. It has set the bar real high. 

On the other hand I am really having fun with Denon DA-10....... I hope hat tempts .

I held back on the Flow 'cos I wanted to read more about the Flow from the earlybirders. Early reports seem to indicate the Flow to be on par of the Hugo excelling in some areas but less in others so it's (yet again) a matter of preference of what the listener prioritises first. Although I've never been a stickler of low noise floor, it has been one of the factors of where the Flow interests me.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #55 of 237
Just got my Flow. Listened to it and enjoyed it actually. It has more life than the Hugo for me at the moment.

Okay in regards to most questions:

1. It is not a DAP. It cannot access its internal storage by itself. Your computer is the one that accesses it.
2. It can power my IEMs fine, I do not hear any noise or hissing.
3. It can power the Abyss (I don't know if its underpowered or not, I will consult soullinker20 who has my Abyss)
4. It is USB 3.0 charged. needs at least 2A on your charger or it will charge SLOW.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #59 of 237
Dec 6, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #60 of 237
Congrats, Anakchan!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you. So far only 15 hrs burn-in since last night. I was charging whilst letting it burn overnight but I think consumption is greater than charge rate so by morning today, the battery percentage had dropped (but still going). I won't comment sonically yet as it's still fresh out of the box, my mind is also fresh from a new toy, but I couldn't resist comparing it to my Invicta/Zana Deux DIY SE, CLAS -dB/Duet, & VentureCraft DD OPA627SM LE/Apex Glacier - but I'll keep the thoughts to myself for now. All I will say though is that I'm glad I got it.

Meanwhile as for operation it works great for PCs, but I'm having a little bit of a finicky problem with iDevices running into the "accessory requires too much power" issues. It will work when charging is set to - (i.e. no charging during use) but then the iDevice needs to be powercycled after that - I can't switch back 'n forth between The Flow & the other aforementioned iDevice DAC/Amps seamlessly. By the time I get it working with my iPad/iPhone, I've forgotten how the CLAS or VentureCraft set sounded.

Operation on PC is much easier. I could have my A+ switch back 'n forth between the Invicta & The Flow pretty quickly.

I've not been able to get it working with my Sony NW-ZX1 yet. Maybe a normal Android Smartphone may work more smoothly than this Android music player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back