128 kbps challenge
Nov 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ian111

New Head-Fier
Okay, I listen to my ipod nano with typical "junk files".  I simply don't have the time and energy to upgrade my 1000+ song collection to 320 or lossless at this time.  Maybe a couple years from now when my newborns are older and I have some free time.

Looking into "upgrade" or just something different from my Grado RS60i powered by FIIO E6.  Just something better or more fun to listen to.

Budget $100-$500
Sennheiser Momentum
Sennheiser Amperior
Beyrdynamics DT1350

or "Forget it dude stick with your Grados, not worth the effort or money with crap files" 
confused_face_2.gif
popcorn.gif

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Are they files you converted yourself or are they itunes music?

The reason I ask is I know that apple was allowing people to upgrade their songs for like 29 cents a song to at least 256kbs.

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Okay, I listen to my ipod nano with typical "junk files".  I simply don't have the time and energy to upgrade my 1000+ song collection to 320 or lossless at this time.  Maybe a couple years from now when my newborns are older and I have some free time.

Looking into "upgrade" or just something different from my Grado RS60i powered by FIIO E6.  Just something better or more fun to listen to.

Budget $100-$500
Sennheiser Momentum
Sennheiser Amperior
Beyrdynamics DT1350

or "Forget it dude stick with your Grados, not worth the effort or money with crap files" 
confused_face_2.gif
popcorn.gif

The better the earphones/headphones, the worse those files are going to sound!

I would imagine that you can fix a majority of the song files by looking them up via torrent! (I know you did say you didn't have time)

but... it just seems like a waste to buy some quality earphones/headphones in the hopes that it could make those bad files sound better. It probably wouldn't!

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Heya,

While lower bit rate MP3's can sound pretty awful with a highly resolving headphone, they're not completely broken. You can still enjoy them of course. Sometimes, hi-fi is not the best-fi for your music collection.

Depending on your preference to signature of audio, I would suggest you look at dark headphones or essentially non-bright headphones, or use amps that are slightly dark (Fiio tends to be I find). Treble tends to really quickly reveal a low quality MP3, as it sounds artificial, etchy, scratchy, or really dull sometimes. Smooth headphones that have rolled off treble often mask this issue and allow for a lower quality recording to still sound good.

Suggestions:

Closed:

Mr Speakers Mad Dog (modded T50RP) with a portable amp (like a Fiio E11 or E17 or JDS CMOY).
AudioTechnica A900X
M-Audio Q40
Shure SRH840

Open:

Ultrasone HFI 2400 with portable amp like Fiio E11/17/CMOY.
Sony MA900
Hifiman HE-300

Very best,

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
The better the earphones/headphones, the worse those files are going to sound!

I would imagine that you can fix a majority of the song files by looking them up via torrent! (I know you did say you didn't have time)

but... it just seems like a waste to buy some quality earphones/headphones in the hopes that it could make those bad files sound better. It probably wouldn't!

So I guess my entry level Grado is an exception because they still are a dramatic improvement (for me) over most headphones costing around that price?

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 11
And while we are at it... since all the headphones you put in your short list are portable on-ear headphones... I would throw out the Phiaton MS400. In alignment with what Malveaux just said, it has relaxed high end. Uber comfy too.

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm a complete newbie to this world and I assumed the cans I listed made more for portable devices might be more forgiving with junk files.

I realize I won't be able to enjoy them at their true potential, not even close, but if they can still be enjoyable I don't mind spending the money.  And hopefully within a year or two I'll be able to upgrade my files.

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 11
just a suggestion. if you sign up to itunes match, it costs £21 a year, u can upload 25000 songs. the main feature is being able to store your music on a cloud. But a nice extra that comes with it, is any of your music that it "matches" with its online servers. it allows you to re-download in 256kbs, it doesnt matter if u bought it from itunes or not.but bear in mind, this isnt going to help you if most of your music is by small unheard of artists and bands. its worth a try IMO. just something you might wanna look into.
although if it were me, id start slowly re-ripping or downloading everything in at least 320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back