1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

128 kbps challenge

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ian111, Nov 12, 2012.
  1. Ian111
    Okay, I listen to my ipod nano with typical "junk files".  I simply don't have the time and energy to upgrade my 1000+ song collection to 320 or lossless at this time.  Maybe a couple years from now when my newborns are older and I have some free time.

Looking into "upgrade" or just something different from my Grado RS60i powered by FIIO E6.  Just something better or more fun to listen to.

Budget $100-$500
    Sennheiser Momentum
    Sennheiser Amperior
    Beyrdynamics DT1350

or "Forget it dude stick with your Grados, not worth the effort or money with crap files" [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Doc-holliday
    Are they files you converted yourself or are they itunes music?

The reason I ask is I know that apple was allowing people to upgrade their songs for like 29 cents a song to at least 256kbs.

3. Pure Quickness
    Quote:

The better the earphones/headphones, the worse those files are going to sound!

I would imagine that you can fix a majority of the song files by looking them up via torrent! (I know you did say you didn't have time)

but... it just seems like a waste to buy some quality earphones/headphones in the hopes that it could make those bad files sound better. It probably wouldn't!

4. Ian111
    Mostly ripped from my CD collection about 20% or so downloaded from iTunes.

5. MalVeauX
    Heya,

While lower bit rate MP3's can sound pretty awful with a highly resolving headphone, they're not completely broken. You can still enjoy them of course. Sometimes, hi-fi is not the best-fi for your music collection.

Depending on your preference to signature of audio, I would suggest you look at dark headphones or essentially non-bright headphones, or use amps that are slightly dark (Fiio tends to be I find). Treble tends to really quickly reveal a low quality MP3, as it sounds artificial, etchy, scratchy, or really dull sometimes. Smooth headphones that have rolled off treble often mask this issue and allow for a lower quality recording to still sound good.

Suggestions:

Closed:

Mr Speakers Mad Dog (modded T50RP) with a portable amp (like a Fiio E11 or E17 or JDS CMOY).
    AudioTechnica A900X
    M-Audio Q40
    Shure SRH840

Open:

Ultrasone HFI 2400 with portable amp like Fiio E11/17/CMOY.
    Sony MA900
    Hifiman HE-300

Very best,

madriz likes this.
  6. Ian111
    Quote:
    So I guess my entry level Grado is an exception because they still are a dramatic improvement (for me) over most headphones costing around that price?

7. Doc-holliday
    And while we are at it... since all the headphones you put in your short list are portable on-ear headphones... I would throw out the Phiaton MS400. In alignment with what Malveaux just said, it has relaxed high end. Uber comfy too.

8. Ian111
    I'm a complete newbie to this world and I assumed the cans I listed made more for portable devices might be more forgiving with junk files.

I realize I won't be able to enjoy them at their true potential, not even close, but if they can still be enjoyable I don't mind spending the money.  And hopefully within a year or two I'll be able to upgrade my files.

9. Ian111
  10. fjeena
    just a suggestion. if you sign up to itunes match, it costs £21 a year, u can upload 25000 songs. the main feature is being able to store your music on a cloud. But a nice extra that comes with it, is any of your music that it "matches" with its online servers. it allows you to re-download in 256kbs, it doesnt matter if u bought it from itunes or not.but bear in mind, this isnt going to help you if most of your music is by small unheard of artists and bands. its worth a try IMO. just something you might wanna look into.
    although if it were me, id start slowly re-ripping or downloading everything in at least 320.

11. MalVeauX