“Beats by Dr. Dre”
Oct 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #331 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean a broad 8db elevation at the 100hz.
tongue_smile.gif

No, 2db. The dip around 1k is part of the free field contour. As I'm sure you know, there is no such thing as a "flat" headphone response curve because of the necessity of contouring headphone response to replace the acoustic contouring that your outer ear would normally do for you in real life.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #332 of 634
Oct 17, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #333 of 634
tried these today
thought they were awfull
but i just bought some denon d7000s , no comparison.
oh and they feel cheep too.
£275 in uk, nah not in this lifetime!

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #335 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by wots /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of purchasing the ATH-AD2000. How does the Denon D7000 compare; are you happy with your purchase?

very pleased with denons.
i was pleased with the ATH-ad2000s too, but "her indoors" was'nt.
needed to go back to closed cans, for both our sakes!
atsmile.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #336 of 634
It seems like alot of the anti-Beats argument revolved around the roll-out MSRP. I just got a pair of new (full-size) Beats by Dr. Dre for $220 at Amazon. For portable use on an ipod without amp what would sound better for the money?

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #337 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwsnell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like alot of the anti-Beats argument revolved around the roll-out MSRP. I just got a pair of new (full-size) Beats by Dr. Dre for $220 at Amazon. For portable use on an ipod without amp what would sound better for the money?

If you go beyond Big Box store off-the-shelf retail headphones, then you're probably going to get into "flavor" preferences. If there's anyway to score some auditions, you can probably narrow down your likes and dislikes, then ask for advice in that direction. As your question stands, there are many alternatives at the price point you listed. Most of the advice you'll find here will be a "sound better" option. I've never heard the Beats...so I can't give you an honest opinion. Given the quality of the mass market phones I've seen pushed on the general public - like the Beats, I can throw a dart at the Headphone page and probably find something better. But that would still be a guess. All that being said, if you're enjoying the Beats, then by all mean continue to do so, and congratulations on your purchase.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #339 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to this yesturday at the apple store it was horrible, too much emphasis on bass, bass sounded muddy, and vocals sounded drowned out.

If there there is a separate free headphone jack, could you plug in your headphone/earphones into it as I highly suspect that it's heavily bass EQ'ed.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #340 of 634
I got a chance to listen to the Beats not too long ago. To be perfectly honest, they weren't as bad a I was expecting - but the price tag is simply insane. I don't think I'd ever dish out more than $100 for them.

To top it all off, I ran into a kid on my campus sporting these. I, a follower of Grado, was quite enjoying myself with my Grado-D10 listening experience, as I typically do. Well. The kid took one look at my headphones and chuckled to himself.

Yeah.

Bose has an older brother, apparently. The Beats seemed to have spawned a small group of jerk-bag purchasers - all smug 'n stuff. It just bothered me.

At least I can rest easy knowing that I'm hearing music in a way that he could scarcely imagine (go reverse elitism!).

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #341 of 634
Gave these a try on my own Touch at the Apple Store a while back, they're nothing special. Bass was a bit sloppy and covered the mids up, but I can understand how some people may like them. Closest comparison in sound (to me) would be the PX100, which is about 1/8 the price of the Beats.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #342 of 634
Hi I'm new I've often lurked here but decided to post. I came here doing a search for the Dr.Dre Beats, to see what the opinion on them where, as I used this site before to purchase my first pair of headphones the beyerdynamics Dt770 I wanted to see what people said.

This weekend I went to Curry's at Junction 9 in the Uk to do some christmas shopping with a friend. They had the Dr Dre beats on display. One display where you could plug it into your own device or use the ipod nano's. On the second display the headphones where plugged into a propietary setup. Which had 3 buttons on the top, R&B, Hip Hop and Rock, the fouth button was red volume button which you had to hold and would increase the volume.

I tried these headphones and I was impressed both comfort and sound, like I say I own a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 770 80ohm and these Dr Dre beats sounded better then those to my ears.

Here is the thing I read some posts in this thread saying you cannot test the beats for comparison, this is not the case at junction 9. At Curry's where I tested them the proprietary station had a 3.5mm input jack with a sign that says next to it "compare me", so I went home got my headphones and plugged them in to compare and the beats always sounded better over those three songs, I asked to try them on a PC with a playlist of songs I like to listen to day to day and still the Beats sounded better.

I asked the staff there if I could try the other studio heapdhones they had on display, from sennheiser HD555 to Sennheiser HD600, they had Denon AH-D501 and Bose headphones there too, the Bose also having it's own sound station with volume and sounds to try which by the way had the same comfort as the beats.

I tried those Sennheisers on the properietary sound system setup first. These are the first time I've ever tried sennheiser headphones on by the way. I really wasn't impressed with the Sennheisers at all, they didn't feel comfy almost like having cardboard inserted into fluffy pads around my ears. Where as my beyerdynamics are very close around the edges of my ears and the padding is soft, which generally speaking is so good I forget they're on my head which is maximum comfort.

Not the case with the Sennheisers I know they're there, and the gap in between the my ears and the speakers made it feel like it was floating away from my head. To explain what I mean it would be like me streaching my beyerdyanmics away from my head while I'm wearing them while keeping some contact with my head it's a weird feeling, one I didn't like.

I didn't like the sound from the Sennheisers if im honest, they sounded flat, like generic headphones I've tried in the past they don't impress me at all. I can't understand the ranting and raving about them especially at the price of £299 they where on sale for, what am I missing here? I don't understand how people like that sound. I know many will say it's because they wern't amped up or soemthing, but I tried them on a setup they had at Curry's which had an amp which was blasting music in the audio section for DJ's no real difference at all in the quality just the volume sounded louder.

In comparison to the Beats. the Sennheisers music sounds clean too sterilised while that's great for hearing every musical instrument in genre's like Jazz and classical it didn't feel like they had any bass at all in Hardcore Metal, Rock or DnB or allowed you to hear each instrument individually I'm not talking about stupid bass. I mean natural sound you hear from a Bass Guitar. For example one of my songs I listen to you can hear the Bass guitar very easily with my Beyerdynamics something with old headphones I could never hear and was amazing to finally hear what those songs where meant to be heard like.

The sound reproduction of these Beats and Beyerdyanmics sound correct the same sound when I hear a guitar being played near me or at a live concert. Where as the Sennheisers didn't even recreate it to the same level there isn't a hum when the strings are played, in one song the Bass Guitar is totally absent and hidden as the sound of the lead and rhythm guitars are overpowering the bass lines yet it's as clear as day on my Beyerdyanmics and Beats when tested, why such a big discrepancy?

Bose also had a sound station setup there for headphones called "BOSE ON EAR Headphones" and had similar comfort to the Beats sounded very similar to the beats in some regards but didn't think they where AS good in sound quality they sounded flat on a lot of songs I listen to like the Sennheisers.

While the Dr Dre beats are too expensive in store £279, it is around £220 online. A new pair of Byerdynamics is £145! so no buy for me. On top of that I don't like the idea of batteries in my headphones, I've had wireless headphones in the past and buying or recharging batteries isn't my kind of fun, that said I was more impressed with the Beats then any Sennheiser heapdhone I heard in my personal opinion. If I find a headphone that sounds as good as the Beats comfort and sound quality-wise I will have to buy them like I say my Beyerdynamics didn't hold up to them and I love these headphones been through repairs and still use them today they're solid for gaming and music.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #343 of 634
Sennheiser is a more laid back sound. They are good all around cans with more emphasis on orchestral/acoustic/jazz type music. If you didn't like them at all you are polar opposites to me and you would be in love with Grados (which I can't stand).

I tried the Beats about a week ago at Best Buy and thought they are decent... for $75, not $300. Very muddy bass with recessed mids and early roll off on highs. Not impressed at all.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #344 of 634
When I tried to listen to the beats at Best Buy, they were hooked up to some machine, so I couldn't plug them into my own player. What they had for demo music sucked and didn't make them sound good at all.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #345 of 634
ItHatesYou: Your impressions make a lot of sense to me. I had much the same experiences years ago with Sennheiser when I went to a store that demoed headphones out of a CD player. They weren't that impressive. The first time I tried the Beats in the Apple store using the music available on one of their iPods, I thought that they didn't sound too bad. Sure they had some bass bloat, but that is obviously to attract people who listen to that kind of music. However, when I plugged in my own iPod and played some jazz, it's as if someone killed the music, totally. Since then I've theorised that a lot of pop music is recorded to sound very bright, to compensate for headphones such as Bose and the Beats that have a rolled-off treble (see the HeadRoom graph for the Beats and notice the low region from 3-7k). This roll-off is designed to disguise the low quality of the design, as bright headphones reveal flaws in either themselves, or what they are connected to easily. So, when one plays something other than modern pop, the music sounds dead.

A lot of what impresses about headphones and related equipment really relates to tonality. Strong bass and a strong treble both seem to be suggestive of quality gear on first listen, but will often later reveal itself to not be great with all music, and flat-EQ'ed equipment isn't impressive on first listen, but if very high quality, can be a window into the quality of acoustic (rather more so than electronic) music. I can say one of the most enjoyable pairs of headphones I've owned were HD-600s, because when properly amped and with a good DAC they are a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back