General Information

Latest reviews

rev92

100+ Head-Fier
KBear Lark
Pros: Fantastic value
Good design
Great accessories
Hybrid technology
Warm, punchy sound
Cons: It costs as much as a good dinner, ain't gonna nitpick
bwfx7611.jpg

KBear Lark is a very affordable hybrid (1 Dynamic Driver + 1 Balanced Armature) metal IEM.
It’ll cost you $29.99.

Packaging

bwfx7644.jpg
You’re getting a large set for this price!

In terms of packaging KBear Lark actually gives us a set that we would find attached to plenty of $100 range IEMs. Inside typical black packaging with golden accents we’re getting small fabric case, 4 pairs of black silicone tips, 3 pairs of white silicone tips, IEMs themselves and a cable. In some cases I don’t think you would be able to buy all these accessories alone for 30 bucks, which means that even without IEMs you’re getting pretty great bang for the buck!

Build Quality & Cable​

bwfx7611.jpg
That sweet transparent design!

KBear Lark shells are made out of zinc alloy and plastic. Starting from the sleeve, it’s painted gold. In the middle the sleeve is slightly recessed which is going to prevent tips from falling off accidentally which can result in losing them or leaving in our ear canals. I personally do like what KBear have done with plastic material. It’s fully clear and transparent, which means you can easily look at all the drivers, wires and soldering inside. In my opinion it actually looks very cool! At the top we can find a metal part, metal faceplates to be exact. They have a very nice looking brushed finish as well as some honeycomb-like styling. In terms of the fit, Larks are medium sized in diameter. Not the tiniest IEMs but also not the largest so if you don’t have an ear canal of a 5-year-old child you should be fine. Isolation is pretty good as well especially when you’ll swap tips for something nicer such as Final E-type.

bwfx7608.jpg
That beautiful minimalistic metal faceshield.

That faceplate certainly has a unique pattern which I’ve never seen before and in this regard Lark gets a huge plus from me for overall design, because we cannot forget about it… it’s just $30 and I will probably remind you about that few times more because Lark can easily be a great gift for people who don’t really care about their audio devices but are kinda annoyed with replacing cheap-o earphones from thrift store every month or two.

I also have to remind you about that because every time when I was checking IEMs within this price range (looking at you Blon BL-03) or even slightly more expensive, cables were simply rubbish and most of the time they were just painful to use or in some cases purely unusable. Fortunately not in this case. We’re getting 4 core silver plated cable with encased 2 pin 0.78mm connectors and on the other end angled 3.5mm jack. It’s not the greatest cable I’ve ever used but surely it’s not annoying in any case. It’s not microphonic, hard, never tangles or have a tendency to develop knots while being carried in pockets. Just very well put cable, but in case if you’d like to swap it and you’re afraid about this encased design, don’t worry. Standard exposed pins design fit without any issues.

Sound​

Inside those shells we’re getting a popular these days hybrid combination of Dynamic Driver as well as Balanced Armature. Impedance is only 16 ohms but I find them not very picky in terms of the noise. They are also very easy to power. Phones will drive them just fine which is also a very big plus especially for a pair in this price range. You can basically use whatever to listen to them.

It’s time for sound so let’s start from the bottom with my favorite part of frequency range. ‘The Bass’ of course. This is a strong point of those IEMs. You can definitely hear it and sometimes even feel it. Larks in general are pretty warm earphones with sub-bass focus. With that said they aren’t muddy bass monsters although it’s true that some of its bass bleeds a little into lower mids but fortunately you’re not losing any precious detail nor separation. You know… it’s just that moderate spice that you’re adding to your dish so you’ll make it much more interesting in result.

bwfx7601.jpg
I really like that brushed finish.

Now let’s talk about midrange. Since KBear Larks can be described as V-shape earphones then it’s no surprise that we will find some dips in this part of frequency range. The most significant one can be noticed somewhere around 1 Khz. It doesn’t sound dull but some vocals just sound like they aren’t the most important part of the track, because sometimes you hear them more behind you instead in front of you. However, you’re still preserving all the detail and soundstage so if you’re not into mid-focused pairs, you should be fine.

bwfx7614.jpg
I really can’t find anything to complain about…

I have to say that treble is probably the weakest part of these. Detail, separation, clarity, you can check all these boxes. Treble is simply crispy… sometimes little too crispy. There were some rare occassions were violins and japanese female vocals were simply too aggressive. Sometimes it even exposed sibilants but nothing extreme in this regard. You’ll hear all the instruments and small nuances but some of them will sound very thin and unpleasant. Although not all of them so don’t cross out them only because of that. In fact, I think you should buy them nonetheless because there’s a good reason for it.
Yes, you already know it. Only 30 bucks~

Summary​

bwfx7615.jpg
You can’t get more for this kind of money!

KBear Lark is one of the greatest options in its price range. You’re getting a very nice packaging, plenty of tips in different sizes, very useful roomy case as well as cable that does not bother you and all of that for just $30! You just have to sacrifice your single dinner at the restaurant and many of casual listeners will find their endgame in those.
Highly recommended!

Gear used during this review for the sake of comparison and as an accompanying equipment:
  • Headphones – DT 1990, BLON BL-03, Oriolus Finschi, Tripowin TC-01,
    Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk
  • Sources– Sony ZX300, Pocophone X3, Earmen TR-Amp

chinerino

100+ Head-Fier
KB EAR LARK
Pros: Very nice bass response and quality, detail-oriented, clarity, value.
Cons: Overly aggressive treble, quirks in its tonality.
LARK | Overall Score: 7.3/10

More reviews at: www.perrivanaudio.com

Driver Setup: 1 Dynamic Driver + 1 Balanced Armature

Price: 26.49 USD

Intro

e84030_ebc59d605b63469fbaae60277c62b4a0~mv2.webp

Disclaimer: Disclaimer: This review set was graciously lent to me by a friend and the review is written of my own accord.

e84030_78b1909f9a6245328020f053b1ae342b~mv2.webp

(The LARK with a NICEHCK third-party cable)

Previously, KBEAR managed to deliver a superb value proposition with the KS2 that puts a smile upon the budget audiophiles. Although the KS2 wasn’t phenomenal for the price, it certainly served as a good reference when it comes to value. With this new release of the LARK, we are excited to see what KBEAR has in store for us.

Accessories and Build Quality (Score: 6.0/10)

e84030_63243f5447a549b9a09206fe147cdb0d~mv2.webp

e84030_a3cf3b6d692c4175b7a724e4fa3b289d~mv2.webp

The LARK comes in a KBEAR themed box which is common to see in their product line ups. Inside the box, you will see the earpiece themselves as the centrepiece and 2 boxes that are specifically designed to fill the spaces. Moving to accessories, the package comes with 2 sets of ear tips (black and white), a nice carrying case as well as a silver-coloured 2-pin cable. It is not really super quality stuff you see in those higher-end offerings, KBEAR covered all grounds here while keeping it affordable, kudos to them.

Moving on to the build of LARK, it seems polished and feels sturdy to my hands. In my opinion, the back-metal plating design was a fashionable choice and appeals to my inner bias of these designs. In general, the LARK’s robust exterior will be able to handle your daily knocks and scruffles well and not fail.

The included cable was not as impressive though, it tangles relatively easily and isn’t that well made. No serious qualms or gripes here given the relatively low MSRP that they are asking for. The cable works but it is one of those common stock cables you get from most budget offerings.

Fit (Score: 9.0/10)

e84030_833839fb8cc841c88239fc145c8af900~mv2.webp

I have to say that the LARK fit my ear really well and I didn’t face any major discomfort when putting them on. On top of that, I was able to use a significant amount of time when I was focusing on other tasks. Perhaps my only gripe was that the tips provided aren’t the best as compared to the likes of final tips, but they do provide enough seal in stock so well done KBEAR!

Sound (Overall Score: 7/10)

In general, I find the LARK to be warm and V-shaped. It also has a good sense of detail and soundstage.

e84030_e2b8ad65cc304defb08e9adf4614dc2b~mv2.webp

Frequency Response Graph of the KBEAR LARK

Sources used

- Ibasso DX120

- iPhone XR

- Atom DAC and AMP

Music and Albums listened with

- Alan Walker

- Billie Eilish – When we all fall asleep, where do we go?

- Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture

- Scary Pockets

- Hans Zimmer

- Aladdin OST

Bass (Score: 8.5/10)

The LARK’s bass has a strong and authoritative response but not so overpowering as the typical V-shaped offerings we expect to hear. It actually provides a rather satisfying experience when listening to modern pop songs and their sub-bass focused mix that allows the listening to fully immerse themselves in. The dexterity of its bass is pretty good as well, it sounds clean and its separation abilities are quite good. In general, there isn’t much to a critic here but just some slight bass bleed but checks most boxes for a budget IEM contender. Good job KBEAR!

Mids (Score: 6.5/10)

Mid-range sounds less emphasised but not to the extent of it sounding wonky and unpleasant. It is the staging here that I have gripes with where the vocals aren’t really in the “middle” but somewhat pushed back. The upper midrange sounds decent here actually without that overcompensating “detail boost” that many offerings turn to (not saying that it doesn’t have, but not too much). I definitely have mixed feelings with regards to the mid-range response of the LARK but I guess it is still within the realms of acceptance and that it still maintains that “detail-oriented” idea revolving around the tuning here.

Treble (Score: 6.0/10)

Now, the weakest link of the LARK. The treble here is definitely overemphasised and that it becomes rather aggressive. I detected quite a bit of sibilance across the tracks I listened to which isn’t pleasant and felt that it was quite a wasted opportunity for the LARK to be a contender on all fronts. Despite its focus on detail retrieval, separation and clarity, such tuning isn’t going to do well when reviewing them. All in all, it is definitely capable in terms of technicalities, but the overly aggressive stance is not going gather support for it.

Overall

Something I liked about the LARK is that it does have a good mix of soundstage, layering, separation, and detail retrieval which is a pretty good spec sheet to look at, but it does suffer from some quirks in tonality. Sometimes, I do notice that the upper midrange sounds off especially when it comes to trumpets and trombones in orchestras where it sounds thin and unpleasant.

Comparisons KBEAR KS2

e84030_e56220097fc64065a8ebba88c6fdcb23~mv2.webp

Although the LARK does have some weak points, I can confidently say that it is a general improvement over the KS2 and felt that KBEAR took the right step in the right direction in delivering that nice price-to-performance product to the budget audiophile group. The LARK here has more detail, a nicer bass response, a somewhat similar mid-range, and a much more exposed treble.

Conclusion

e84030_a7b3bb258d294119b74217a95a99a513~mv2.webp

In conclusion for 26.49 USD, there isn’t much to fault them for and the LARK’s stat sheet seems really beefy and tough to beat for the price. If you are looking for a detail-oriented budget offering, the LARK is actually a decent contender if you are not so treble sensitive like me. It does have a really good value proposition and maintained its reputation for it which I guess gives every budget audiophile more options to consider and be happy about them.

Headphoneus Supremus
KB EAR LARK UNIVERSAL IEM
Pros: Pleasant and "nice" tuning
Fits perfect
Just the right amount of detail and excitement
Gorgeous staging
A true value
Very well made and designed
Cons: Bass extension missing at subterranean frequencies
Some issues with bass timbre and low-end resolution, but this is nitpicking
KB EAR LARK UNIVERSAL IEM

KB EAR Facebook Page
KB EAR Facebook Group

KB EAR Instagram

BK EAR DAP 1.jpg

The Lark Universal IEM became a whispered new release for KB EAR this year. Small quite whispers by the Head-Fi community as KB EAR (as a new company) showed up out of blue reinventing the value quotas; seemingly renaming them single handed.

For me, I was the sourpuss, showing not an ounce of interest, as I had worked my way above the $29.99 price stratifications; regardless of the stories told and excitement whispered. I simply didn’t care. But of course I man-handled the system explaining to KB EAR reviewers how to better write their reviews. And they quietly told me how the Lark was special and that it didn’t need side by side comparisons, that it was its own gig. I laughed then stayed quiet. Then all of a sudden people started sending me these (not KB EAR) $23 IEMs....then $49 IEMs. Now I had to do some personal re-evaluations...........even with being the profound expert I thought I was.

These new 2020-2021 Budget Audiophile Monitors are on a whole new level.

So I’ll try my best to redeem myself here and say I was wrong. I was completely unaware of how the sub $100 market has changed in 18 months time. You can’t make this stuff up. And while I’m not going to make a review calling the Lark the next flagship equalizer. I’m not even going to say the Lark sounds like a $700 Chinese made IEM. Such tactics are (even though mildly relevant) not going to get us where we need to go with this review.

For this review to work we need simple perspective. With the right perspective this review writes itself. Investigate and report, listen and interpret.....that’s all.

So let’s start with some history. Rumor has it that KB EAR sent out LARK prototypes to experienced listeners. Later they received community feedback and started final Lark production. Somewhere along the line the agreed-upon tune became slightly modified.

Typically these tuning tweaks are much more simple than you may guess. Instead of a yellow (as an example) damper filter.......the guys at the factory put in red ones. And they started to ship the first batches all over the world. By the time the community enthusiasts received their product (they designed) it was very different than agreed upon. This is where those whispers started. So it’s known that the first run are called the 4K batch, due to the (increased 4K-zone) Frequency Response. All this happened around November 2020. Rumor has it that the 4K spike was introducing grain. With the smoothness here, I can only imagine how you would want to keep it alive.

Anyway, so those models are gone but not forgotten. That’s right, due to the random subjectivity of our hobby a few folks liked the 4K ones. And while the corrected one I’m using is wonderfully tuned..........I still wonder. With curiosity being the fickle mistress she is, I still am wondering about the LARK 4K!

Enough small talk, let’s get to the nitty-gritty here.
The KB EAR LARK was provided by Wendy from KB EAR to enable this single review.

Introduction To KB EAR:
KB EAR and TRI Brands
TRI is a sister band of KB EAR. TRI made a splash recently with the TRI i3, TRI i4 and the TRI Starlight and TRI Starsea!

Once in a while you will hear of people thinking (KZ) Knowledge Zenith Corporation has involvement with KB EAR........yet nothing could be farther from the truth. If anything we see KB EAR competing directly for KZ market share and winning! KB EAR sells fancy aftermarket cables directly targeted to KZ owners.

It’s difficult to imagine KB EAR did all this growth since 2019? Their new flagship.....The Believe (179.99) comes sporting a single 9mm Beryllium DD.

They also make a 2BA, single DD Hybrid called the $23.99 KS2 which sits very close on the ladder to our $29.99 KB EAR Lark IEM. Also you may have seen or heard of the KB Ear Diamond i1 and KB EAR Opal?

KB EAR was founded in Shenzhen China in 2014 and is the “earphone brand” of Shenzhen Lingyin Technology Company Ltd, China.

Construction:
F2566DCE-217C-4276-95AD-DD72CA78BD6D.png
75474372-1022-4107-ABD7-831EEFF391D3.png
2C1B3D4D-8E52-40F2-B09D-0DD7959A01F5.png

Somehow the Lark looked cheap in pictures yet expensive in hand? I guess I assumed I knew how it was made regardless of never actually making a real IEM before. To me the zinc alloy cover looked like it would be sharp. Also it appeared like stuff I’ve seen where the metal is basically an end-cap. And it may still be an end cap, but it’s all so well put together the whole IEM has a silky smooth feel to the touch. Taking it out of the box the first thing you notice is it’s totally nice. Those areas where the zinc meets-up with the medical grade resin body? Somehow the edge is polished to such a place that everything becomes one?

I sat with them in my hands for five minutes, just because I’ve never experienced an IEM made this way. The aluminum alloy nozzle has a nice size and for once is the regular length, though it IS the thing with edges!

PORTS copy.jpg

I give The Lark a 10/10 in perceived build quality and design. Studying the build design in person shows two air ports (shown in photo) directly next to the base of the nozzle. So let’s assume one port is for air-in and the other, air-out. The IEMs have a nice substantial feel and weight, not too big or too small, not to low in weight or too heavy. If you look close you can see the back side of the single BA driver wedged up inside the nozzle with about 15% of the BA exposed where the nozzle stops inside the shell.

Unboxing Event and Accessories:
A97E7358-4AD4-4FF7-B6E1-2DEFEB3AC72C.jpeg

kb ear 1.jpg
KB EAR 3.jpg

You get a warranty card
You get 3 pairs of black tips
You get 3 pairs of white tips
You get a nice Included cable (though it can tangle at times)

You get a nice zippered hard-case

Cable:

TFZ plug. A gold-electroplated L jack 3.5mm cable keeps the plug out of harms way. The ear-hooks actually work in their intended fashion. I mean for $29.99 your simply just not going to get a $20 cable included. Also I would much rather have added value on the IEM side of things.

There is a neck cinch, but the cable is not looking to impress if you get my drift. What it is is fully functional and comfortable. Strangely I like the white color too?

second in line.jpg

The IEM fit:
10/10 here. Somehow they fit like dream. My only issue was all the included tips were too small....................after finding my go-to generic black tip, The Lark fit instantly. Due to the compiled data-bass of human ear-shapes……….form factor is the classic semi-custom shape blocking a fairly good amount of noise. It’s vented so that’s always a compromise with noise occlusion.

Sound Impressions:

This character of frequency response has been often generalized as a “NICE” tune. Nothing stands out, the IEM is not trying to win an agility contest or dazzle with any one thing. These style of “tunes” win by playing multiple genres of music and appealing to a lot of ears. For as much as they play it safe they are offering the intrinsic excitement offered by default with a subtle V response.

After a day of burn-in I placed the Lark in my ears and consequently smirked. It wasn’t that I was totally blown away or anything of course. But it was more like being greeted with audio comfort. KB Ears sound goals were familiar. They were trying to walk this fine line being pseudo audiophile for $29.99 but actually totally real-life audiophile too for $29.99. The surprise was the finesse and composure. The seemingly grand politeness at hand. All I could think about was wanting my old KZ-ATE from 2016 to compare, as I knew even from (5 year old) memory that this was a whole different animal.

I keyed into the guitar tone right away. And…………………..OK.............I was excited about the way the guitar was both warm/crunchy and actually had correct timbre. Now yes, there are blaring issues in technicalities and abilities, but somehow it’s all very forgettable due to the friendly musicality at hand. It’s like they know how to offer this well done even and correct frequency response. The main thing? Well for me the main thing was the size of the stage. The big sound was just that………….really big. Big and entertaining and big and involving. Admittedly I was totally wrong to judge something by price.

The most important thing is frequency response……..as if that’s well done then your about 80% into the win-zone.

Bass: I like the bass better than a few $200 IEMs I’ve tried yet that’s not to say it’s perfect. It’s simply hard to believe how things have changed since what was acceptable in 2016? Because due to staging and bass combined this is one dynamic and authoritative experience.

Below is KB EAR's publicly released LARK FR graph:

8FBF098F-903A-4BDD-9123-2954E26452F8.png

The signature is the classic mild V with both bass weight and a 2.5K to 4.5K peak for balance. What we are left with is perfectly placed vocals and no glare to speak of. These style of tunes are generally accepted as enjoyable for the masses. Nothing really different or showing a noticeable off character. Typically the 8K peaks in these graphs result from coupler resonance. Also keep in mind the tested and displayed information above 10K is normally questionable. The frequencies above 10K are also much farther away from our sensitive mid frequency hearing. Due to this resulting sensitivity factor.........they are heard as farther set back and not as noticeable.

31AD3D65-A3FF-4769-86B2-720458E156A4.png

Male sibilance is typically 3-7k Hz with female sibilance found typically 5-9k Hz, so after investigating the KB EAR frequency graph it’s noted a substantial dip from 5K to 7K. Coincidentally the DUNU SA6 has a profound dip at 5K to 7K. We learned about the complete vocal sibilance ranges above and have to assume these dips were intentionally designed in both The Lark and DUNU SA6 to negate sibilance. This 5K to 7K dip could very well be the crossover high pass of the BA tweeter and the bandpass of the DD driver being perfectly trimmed. Some may have issue with these “safe tune” tactics wanting more brilliance in the area. Yet, once again we find the Lark showing how it’s a nice and polite tune.

TOP SIDE LARK KBEAR.jpg

Pace and Sound Exploration Tracks:
So if you wanted to impress someone with your newly acquired KB EAR Lark there are a couple easy ways. Namely after us going over frequency response (which is great) there is only one single area of concern. Though in relation to value we are splitting hairs and looking the gift horse in the mouth. My single issue comes down to a perception of pace, and namely low end pace. In so many ways this is an easy review as all concepts are upfront and easily discernible. Since the Lark does Heavy Metal, Electronica and OSTs so well we will use the genres for our examples. Also just because I’m using a few music genres, don’t think the Lark doesn’t do a super wide range of music well, because it does. But Heavy Metal is known as pace dependent. Meaning great pace on faster songs means a great score from me.

If you wanted to impress someone or even impress yourself, this first song would do it.

Artist: Metallica
Album: Metallica (The Black Album) 48/24bit.
Song: “Nothing Else Matters”

This is the number you play to get looks of admiration from friends. You could josh and say THE LARK was a much more expensive IEM……..even with experienced IEM hobbyists. Lol

In the recording studio they pay close attention to the drums and bass rhythm section as to not let the bass waves overlap or touch. Those elements need to start and stop and leave room for PRaT. So here due to the middle tempo of this song, the pace issues are masked.

Artist: Hinkstep

Album: A Generation Lost In Space 44/24bit
Songs: “Within Your Echoes” “A Little Tree”

Ok, so I didn’t find this song randomly. I already knew that this would offer an unquestionable 10/10 playback and it did. The bass in this song is not just beautifully low and focused, but it’s a modern masterpiece of how to use bass placement in a mix. Surprisingly the “1996 Jungle” or “Drum and Bass” rhythm section due to their frequency placement, stay out of harms way. Here we will start to hear the edge of the bass ability/definition on the following song “A Little Tree”. Note, “A Little Tree” has deeper bass than “Within Your Echoes” outlining our extent of reproduction ability here. The lowest frequencies are simply not there.

Artist: Daft Punk
Album: TRON: Legacy 44/16bit
Songs: “The Son Of Flynn” “Rinzler” and “Arena”

This album is a perfect example of how we are happy to overlook bass technicalities and focus on musicality instead. While "The Son Of Flynn" is just over a minute and a half in length, we want a snapshot of ability to focus on. This song sounds correct and delineated probably due to being written and inspired by a single arpeggio. And while the key to the whole TRON OST is Daft Punks’s understanding of synth arpeggios; something about this snippet “The Son Of Flynn” remains memorable and iconic all these years later. Also to side-step onto FR topics………TRON:Legacy can’t help but continue to show how listenable and complete our tone balance is. The song “Arena” shows up as a messenger reminding us of the general forgiving stance the Lark parlays. Even the intensity of elements in “Rinzler” reminds us how both musical and easy going the Lark always is.

Artist: Emmure
Album: Hindsight 48/24bit
Song: (F) (U) (N) “Finally Understanding Nothing”

Laughingly coming back to revisit this fast paced and 5150 musical statement, the PRaT is not really that bad (but………it should be?) Probably expectation bias on my early listens, resulting in hearing what I thought I should hear. The KB EAR LARK can fly away from danger…….and does.

Artist: Luna Coil
Album: Black Anima 44/24bit
Song: Sword Of Anger

Ok, so this is a truly perfect example of our main issue. And remember it’s almost mean for me to do this to an innocent $29.99 “value IEM” but the truth needs to be exposed none the less. So what is going on revolves around the guitar/drum/bass fusion “matrix” composite. And while this section is dense, layered and offering a unique example of a rhythm section……………it IS possible to actually hear it with better IEMs. It’s probably not fair to bring out the $195.00 Theiaudio Legacy 4, but we have to learn what’s in the recording and if there could be an alternative way to hear it. No time stamps are needed as this playback takes place from start to finish. The LARK replay of driving force and combined elements can not be separated or lifted into the light. This is the quintessential example of “smeared”.

Is this a deal breaker? No.
And to be fair..........this is a perfect example of a brick walled modern studio mess, which the Legacy 4 is just slightly able to improve on, due to timing skills.

Random Song:

Artist: Katatonia
Album: The Fall Of Hearts 48/24bit

Song: Decima

So instead of searching out songs to cause us trouble, I simply choose a random song, kinda like the way real life is. As Lady Luck would have it this song ends a special style of coincidence, and maybe meant to be for us. Yep, impeccable playback in every level, everything. And ending here I don’t think I could have even come up with a better song to show how our “easy going” LARK tune takes care of business. Here we are met with perfect production, and simplistic-categorized song elements. An absolutely world-class capture of Jonas Renkse enigmatic vocal stance and vibe. The way the elements come together here is why we listen and why we value when stuff works out. This is also the style of tune which showcases the over-all timbre talent the BK EAR somehow has been given. Obviously these accomplishments are not chance like our song choice but reflect KB EARS maturity and skill as an “up-and-comming” tunesmith of IEMs.

Sound Summery:
So we learned the capabilities and extent of The Lark’s abilities........for better or worse. And while there are no perfect IEMs, the chance of finding a way less than perfect IEM for $29.99 surely exists. Finding random perfect playback of songs like “Decima” just shows our potential for success.

This super-super low non-existent frequency replay seems to be our number one issue along with pace. Not really a big deal when you start to make a laundry list of attributes, but existing and potentially heard at times. I can’t help to be reminded of the bass in the Sennheiser HD600/HD650 having this same roll-off. Funny as I have not heard those two headphones for years, yet this bass, both in slowness and extension roll-off became reminiscent?

Switching DAPs, Desktops and iPods:
Cellphones are all over the world, why wouldn’t they dial-in $29.99 to $199.99 IEMs and make them sound fantastic?

Using the KB EAR Lark listening to OSTs in Hi-Resolution Audio from an iPod Touch is amazing. The 24bit ALAC plays fine yet becomes truncated down to 48mHz/16bit due to Apple DAC implementation.

780163564426-cover-zoom.jpg

This 48/24bit file was transcoded in Foobar 2000 into ALAC.

My Gosh! So this is what iPods sound like now! The bass was taut, fast and clean.........the whole experience made me start thinking that this was the design goal when making the LARK?

The Walkmans:

Contrary to what you might think the $1200 Sony 1A was dramatically better than the $3200 Sony 1Z with the LARK. I’m going to assume this takes place due to the 1A being more mid-centric and the 1Z offering a heavy bass and treble peak? Really what we are ultimately looking for is to dial the LARK low-end back and add balance to it. This is maybe why the simple iPod was such a roaring success? iPods are famous for offering a strict linear response free of color or warmth; which somehow clarifies our KB EAR LARK listening experience.

Sony TA-ZH1ES:
So due to wearability and comfort there is no reason why you wouldn't join the LARK into desk-top home desk listening. And while amazingly there was a small scale up, there was obviously not going to be any cure for our little issues, namely the missing bass timbre. Strangely these aspects were less noticeable from a phone?

KB EAR 12.jpg

Conclusion:
This conclusion is the simple end-point of our exploration today. In fact no conclusion is needed. We found how a new modern IEM maker (KB EAR) have built on new technologies and the understanding of human hearing to simply make an IEM good and at minimal expense for the consumer. It's actually shocking how far things have moved along in 5 years. IEMs like this are designed from the get-go to appeal to the general population. Who knew that the general population's FR curve would also be the perfect audiophile frequency FR? As it turns out the general listening population are no different than audiophiles when it comes to what they want in nice sounding IEMs.

LIP.jpg

Company Product Description:
Durable Artwork

By using aviation level zinc alloy shell and environmental friendly PC cavity, KBEAR Lark has an eye-catching look with bright colors, fine metal texture and fashionable aesthetics, reflecting the light luxury craftsmanship.

Professional acoustic configuration
Three times the cost of ordinary earphones, casting Lark’s professional metal earphones sound quality.

Technologically innovative DD
5 micron silicon crystal biological diaphragm
10mm new frame dynamic driver

2 times the frequency response range of human ear perception, less than 0.03% distortion rate (1 k Hz), creating the flagship quality and sound performance of the Lark.

Customized BA
Broader high-frequency resolution
Richer musical details

BA can greatly improve high frequency density and extension of Lark. It boasts a performance of low distortion, fast and abundant mids and highs. Vocal is clear while highs bright and so on.

Professional Tuning
Precise internal acoustic structure and subtle circuit optimization combine the advantages of DD and BA, providing a hearty sound and color detail experience; the curve is intuitively displayed the effects to achieve balance, cleanness and rich detail, enhancing separation and layering of music.

Ergonomic Design
According to ergonomic cochlear big data, Lark’s cavity structure is designed to fit your auricle like tailor-made, even if strenuous exercise is still locked ears.

Sound features
High-definition resolution, balanced three-frequency, high on-site reproduction, rich and layered information presentation. Suitable dynamic sensitivity, accurate instrument positioning, sweet and gentle vocals, elegant and loose tone color, durable and rich flavor.

Disclaimer:
IEMs are ultimately a singular experience. The write-up here is a singular view. Don’t get caught-up in the hype but trust your own ears……………as ultimately nothing else matters except what sounds right to you. While an attempt was made to be critical here…….your LARK sound quality and fit experience may differ.

My KB EAR LARK had 50 hours for this review. There was noticeable
changes in smoothness and fluidness after just 24 hours burn-in, though very minimal changes after.

Last edited:
WendyLi
WendyLi
Nice review! Keep believing in your ears :wink:
JasonLucas
JasonLucas
Wow man , I got the first 4K batch and was sent a re tuned one from Kbear two months later and to my ears it’s virtually identical and still hot , I wish mine sounded like the ones in your review
?

Milky smooth and I really wonder why? Why you would interpreting them that way? It’s totally the opposite?

Also look how high they are on my list of better to worst?

This is the order I place them in.

In ownership:
BQEYZ Spring 2
BQEYZ BQ3
Sony XBA-100
Magaosi K5

Comments

There are no comments to display.