Penon Voltage

General Information

1714098871044.png

PENON VOLTAGE Flagship Audiophile In-ear Monitor
4 Sonion Electrostatic+4 Sonion Balanced Armature+2DD hybrid with 2 Tuning Switches
4 x Sonion Electrostatic for ultra- high frequency
1714098921280.png

Latest reviews

SamTan

Head-Fier
The familiar and lovely Penon house sound!
Pros: Melodious and musical sound
Rolled off treble
Very well suited for long laidback listening sessions
Cons: Rolled off treble maybe be a con for some
Soundstage is not the widest or deepest
Imaging could be better at this price
8-Jul-24

Penon Voltage – brief sound impressions, by Sameer Tangri

Introduction: I received the Penon Voltage as a part of its India tour conducted by Audio Geeks and Sandeep Agrawal. The Voltage is Penon’s flagship IEM with a hybrid 4EST+4BA+2DD configuration. Its details are- 4 x Sonion Electrostatic for ultra- high frequency; 2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for high frequency; 2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for middle frequency; and 2 x 8mm dynamic driver for the low frequency.

The stock cable has 4 Shares OCC with 18K Gold-plated OCC Mixed.

A little about me: I prefer a balanced to warm sound for enjoying my music. I own sets like the 64 Audio Trio, Final A8000, and Thieaudio Monarch MKII. I dislike any one frequency overpowering or dominating all others, be it bass, mids, or the treble. Occasionally, I do also listen to reference/analytical sets with a flat sound signature. I very rarely prefer all-BA setups, no matter how high-end they are. Technicalities and capabilities aside, I always look for an IEM/HP that grabs my attention the moment it starts playing (trust me, IEMs/HPs that really connect with me always make me listen the moment they start playing). An IEM/HP should sound clear, fun, musical, melodious, draw me into the song, and most importantly make me feel the emotions! If a Rs. 1,500/- (USD 18) IEM does this, I buy it too (e.g., the 7HZ Salnotes Zero v1).

Design, build quality, fit, and comfort: I found the Voltage to be a middleweight and medium-sized (I call sets like the Thieaudio Monarch MKII heavy and big/chunky). Once put into the ear, I did not find its weight to cause any discomfort at all. Its nozzles are definitely on the thicker side and medium in length, not too long, not too short. In other words, the Voltage’s nozzles are in good/correct proportion to its size.

The transparent red colored IEM shells with gold sprinkled/patterned faceplates look good. We get the ‘Penon’ brand name printed on the left earpiece and ‘Voltage’ printed on the right one.

1.JPG

2.JPG

I have no complaints with the stock cable which settles nicely around the ear. It is a little plasticky stiff to feel though. This is more of an observation and not a complaint. I did not find it to have any microphonics. It’s comfortable.

Voltage’s Tuning Switches: It’s simple. There are 2 switches, one each for enhancing the low and high frequencies. So, 00 is standard mode, 10 is low enhanced, 01 is high enhanced, and finally 12 is low and high enhanced. I tested with 00

Test Playlist:

Chain-1: HiBy R8 --> Penon Voltage stock cable (4.4 mm) --> Penon Voltage (00 tuning) --> Penon Liqueur Black ear tips.

Brief impressions on the sound quality: Before getting into the details, a few words come to my mind which describe the overall theme of the Voltage’s sound. These are- mature, refined, confident, balanced, mid-focused, easy to listen/fatigue free, and engaging. Now to get into the details.

Mids and Bass: I started by listening to the first song in my test playlist which is ‘Tu jaane na (unplugged)’ by Kailash Kher. The first thing that grabbed my attention was how the Voltage placed the male vocals in this song forward and all the instruments were pushed noticeably behind to the background. This literally ‘made’ me focus on the vocals and song wording so much so that I actually was listening to each word (not merely hearing). I played this song to its end and was left impressed at how well the Voltage presented the male vocals in this song with minor modulations being heard so clearly!

Next track was the live recorded track ‘Man Mast Hua’ by the Sounds of Isha. I’ve heard this playlist and its songs countless times now and hence immediately understand what an IEM is doing to the sound. In this song too both the female vocals were placed noticeably forward and presented melodiously. The accompanying bass and treble sounds were supporting the vocals very nicely. Once again, the Voltage made me ‘listen’ to the words and ponder on their meaning.

Coming to the track ‘Pepas’ by Farruko- this is one fast, energetic, and racy party track. It has heavy bass presence in the beginning till the 00:57 or so mark and then suddenly, a sharp treble-intensive instrument kicks in. I know from experience that this transition can be very sharp and piercing on some sets. But the Voltage (with its stock cable) handled this transition with ease and caused absolutely no discomfort. In fact, the sound continued to remain melodious and musical.

For testing the sub and mid-bass, I use the track ‘Don’t Bother None’ by Mai Yamane. Here I think that the Voltage presented the sub-bass and mid-bass well. If I had to say which is the Voltage’s focus though, I’d give the edge to the mid-bass. I’ve heard more rumble and grunt while listening to this song on some other sets. Here again, the moment the vocals started, I stopped typing and just listened. All the words were coming across beautifully with the guitars and other instruments supporting them beautifully. My testing stopped for some time, I just sat, listened, and enjoyed this song, yet once again!

Treble: The song ‘Into the New World by Girls’ Generation is energetic and spicy by nature. This is my go-to track for testing sibilance and the Voltage handled this with ease. No sibilance whatsoever. The details are there, and they’re rounded off for fatigue-free listening.

Another song, ‘Luka Chuppi’ from Rang De Basanti can sound very piercing on some IEMs. The male and female vocals in this beautiful emotional song get high-pitched in some passages and can come across as peaky and sibilant. But it was the same result as earlier on the Voltage - everything was well presented and very comfortable to listen to. Madam Lata Mangeshkar’s and Master A. R. Rahman’s voice come along in good harmony. The vocals and accompanying tabla were the focus while the guitar, harmonium, etc. all played in the background in harmony.

A note here: A little more about the treble- I am quite treble sensitive and heard the two songs above back-to-back. This made me think that the treble MAY get a bit much for some listeners if treble-intensive songs are listened to continuously. Maybe the EST drivers are at play here. So, then I played around a little with the EQ settings (MSEB) on my HiBy R8 and found the Voltage responding well to it. Of course the additional options of changing ear-tips and/or cables are there, should you want to tailor the sound some more.

Other aspects: Busy and messy tracks like ‘Popular Monster’ by Falling In Reverse are handled well. Here too, the vocals are placed forward and clearly heard in what I think is an extremely busy song that can trip up many IEMs. But the Voltage handled it confidently.

I think the Voltage has an average soundstage, nothing too wide or too congested. Correspondingly, the imaging and positioning are also done fairly well. Instruments positions can be pointed out in the Led Zepplin track ‘When the Levee Breaks’. I must add though that some other IEMs have presented this song in a more spaced-out manner with a much larger soundstage which then also naturally showed improved and better instrument placement. If there’s one aspect the Voltage is weak on for me, it’s this one.

Chain-2: HiBy R8 --> EarAudio Premium Silver cable (4.4 mm) --> Penon Voltage (00 tuning) --> Penon Liqueur Black ear tips.

With this cable, the overall sound immediately tightened up across all frequencies, and became airier, faster, better separated and clearer, cleaner, and crispier as compared to the stock cable. I also do think that the vocals, which were noticeably forward with the Voltage’s stock cable, got pushed back and the instruments brought forward. The end-result is that all three frequencies are sitting in one line and the sound is totally balanced.

I cannot say one cable is better than the other. Both offer their own flavor and style of sound delivery, and it would come down to individual preferences. I prefer the stock cable so far as I am always inclined towards slightly forward vocals.

Chain-3:
HiBy R8 --> Penon Pyramid cable (4.4 mm) --> Penon Voltage (00 tuning) --> Penon Liqueur Black ear tips.

3.JPG

This is the best combination for me. It performs much better than both, the Voltage’s stock cable as well as EarAudio Premium Silver cable.

With this Pyramid cable, the Voltage moves the closest towards delivering Penon’s house sound which is lush and musical with a rounded off treble. Technicalities are sacrificed a bit as the sound shifts towards a more analog-ish delivery. It is the kind of sound that captured my attention and I listened to it literally the whole day when I was working from home. No listening fatigue whatsoever. I think it’s especially suited for more laidback, easy listening, and chill music. E.g., tracks like Sunrise by Coldplay (which sounds beautifully haunting on this chain btw), Judaai from Badlapur, Walls by Kings of Leon, Seen a Ghost – Acoustic by Old Sea Brigade, and so on. I put on my paylist with such songs and was lost in the music the entire day while it rained lazily outside. The cool breeze, visuals of the rain as it lazily falls to the ground, and my easy listening playlist on this chain was really perfect, to be honest!

Conclusion: The Penon Voltage is a great set that offers a mature and cohesive sound. It is a fundamentally capable IEM that has its basics right and hence, pairing it with after-market cables and ear-tips will only make it shine further.

Priced at $1,199, is it worth your hard-earned money or not is a subjective question that I cannot comment on. What I can say though is that this is a set that must be on your list of IEMs to try in this price bracket.

Danx3k

500+ Head-Fier
Penon's Finest
Pros: Wonderful natural tuning
Maintains the Penon house sound, yet sounds open, clean and detailed
Really impressive stage depth and height
Really good layering and imaging
The option to adjust the tuning with the switches
Beautiful shells that feel solid and well built
Comfortably competes with other IEMs in its price range
Really nice stock cable
Cons: Can be intense in the 5khz region due to a present peak.
Sounds a bit muddy in 1-1 and 1-0 which in turn has a negative impact on the technicalities
Whilst it's well accessorized they're the same accessories that come with Penon's cheaper offerings, they could've included something more premium
Accessories also feel a bit cheap, the zip got stuck on the supplied case
Perhaps $1,000 would've been the sweet spot to price the Voltage at
I received the Penon Voltage to demo courtesy of @ian91. All views are my own and there's no incentive to give anything other than an honest impression.

Disclaimer

This hobby is very much subjective and our listening impressions will no doubt widely differ due to a number of factors including; ear anatomy, hearing ability, age-related hearing loss, fit, seal, how deep you can insert the tips and so forth.

Therefore, everything I say hereon is my subjective opinion based on my experiences, yours may differ to mine.

A Bit About Me

So, I've previously owned a few Penon IEMs, namely; 10th Anniversary, Turbo and more recently the Quattro.

I purchased the 10th anniversary over a year ago and whilst I did like it, I never really got on with it, and found it lacking in treble extension with a bit too much bloat and thickness in the lower mids and mid-bass.

I then purchased the Turbo and wasn't a huge fan either and sold it only a few weeks later. I mostly took a gamble on the Quattro as it intrigued me being a 4 DD configuration, but to be honest I was disappointed and found it to be a bit of a muddy mess due to the overwhelming bloat in the mid-bass and lower mids, which just bled and smothered the rest of the frequency range.

Since then I have bought and sold a lot of IEMs (as you can see in my signature). I've come to learn what my preferences are and what I tend to favour and look for. I like a good sub-bass extension, not too much mid-bass, clean mids from 200Hz, a not too aggressive upper mid/pina gain and well extended treble up top.

As such, I stopped really looking at Penon IEMs if I'm honest, as Penon typically go for a lush organic midrange, which they're so well known for, however one of the compromises of this type of tuning is usually a thicker lower mid presentation, which I don't like.

Penon then announced the Voltage, and I heard some positive impressions from a few people I actively chatted with, and the general consensus was the Voltage is a really impressive IEM.

I also saw the measurements of the IEM in 0-1 switch configuration and thought this could potentially be a really nice IEM for me and my preferences. However at the RRP Penon placed on the Voltage, it needed to be pretty impressive to justify the price.

Presentation

The Voltage is a 10 Driver Hybrid and the spiritual successor to the Volt. It comes in a typical Penon package, with the yellow sleeve. Nothing too fancy, but it's small and compact. It doesn't quite scream premium like some other IEMs in this price range, but it's not a big deal, it's what's inside that counts, right?!

AD_4nXfatHfoQDfdZRo1YeZ-uTwY0_4ByDcWb8abssu57vMv0tlcTPkcURKKPptjO1YNlaAdVx9IiiZ8TorIZBHmnYhyyy_0RF7KcDUHsNew-A2gf5NqZJ4vS0ycwnNk6W-rU_r69x_BE_mglW1GwaNwLroFhD-t

AD_4nXfA1Hvdf7NFxFeUTJ5D2n-Lx2IURwFG2SY_a4Eeqo6a9PdCB1UpLQqyQ_M1DhrlkFPuaQ_E1vsDzisG-OiqJ4LVGw19_LhlgSDyDm3XP3FwfepXpu-VjrJgI34Tyl0qffTqKJcZHbCibzVoTmSF7MIsW1pg

AD_4nXeRmJLmqo0WAh0sGzsL_f8iJyEn1O8hU2JmqtXjHITjU-nVTVeT-v9fW97clRBIzgpWGBMIhH834PkX6IN40EjJ61pZdk94QQwVpXeXjCUOM7l6yPkBdHvhBwSioPdYDG6mf2Wqw42RGhSijcQqJGekVX2B

The Voltage comes with a plethora of accessories that's typically expected from Penon; three sets of tips each in small medium and large, a blue storage case, as well as the little mettle key that looks like a sim card remover for adjusting the switches.

I don’t have an issue with the accessories package, but I would expect better for the price of the IEM, as it's the same accessories that came with the three previous Penon IEMs I’d owned.

AD_4nXdgaI4d-LVVPmNt9pHoOiEK3WInMM3-0XD3MMpiWgXTuMw9mAD16mNSm4sJAkRDAmksrjhGdd42eR6dSAuGqQqrOC-nUOcaIPFd_3__0nUnqy88gSxgJ5Fvx5t7Xc4lkaKcsEnB6SWNGFptrPD0XyHdORNV

AD_4nXePoZiWobp8DijVRUZZUds6AsYX_NYK1Vt58Bloqyhk68Bu2MbUcLiiSP5BNGiTNv0aMM76J1iUhmX5yChQVh-gJvj0i75uBfLdatnjWJ9l8lMPH8QJa0dNFPlyuJJ0M2fM5ZIjgy0tCFcwaBHY16KZPXwu

AD_4nXcB97YVB02hQPfbZ9Lbww6mVIjC8vht7XGkO3Qlsy6R5qHhvHdUW9jYRu4tSE0RxiOSDXRTQ7AUrOWRTj88YEFqNwBpOZdAwbPSodVW_mBCdHC3Dp_iXdjDPQC6J2g8WDJvL7tcf_FcZIgwfqkvjRngB2f2

The IEMs themselves look great. I love the transparent red with the gold detail. On photo's I wasn't too sure, but in person they look fantastic. They also feel nice and solid, which I really like and is an improvement over the cheaper and lighter feel of the 10th Anniversary and Turbo shells.

The only nitpick I have is I’m not a huge fan of the font used for brand and model on either shell. However, the colour of the font matches the gold detail so it doesn’t detract from the overall aesthetics of the IEM.

The cable is really nice, it's black with some gold fleck and has a nice feel and weight to it. It's also modular however it is in fact not screw lock as I first thought. So unfortunately it is still friction secured only. Hopefully it won’t weaken over time and disconnect, which is an issue I’ve had in the past with these type of modular plugs.

My Set Up

AD_4nXcUMkW-MKplhdrhfvAzKjKCI22aqAePjHc5_jxCz_DMLe2IzjX0V0SA9BfJk-O3UIiYPefXZsR1BYMbffNm56xeBFugOApmc7jW4GT5_ASryjh8aK2_7X2zVp5JBciPj5ngfgmVX6QirG7hzdGfLqTqSB3F

I didn't use the included stock tips, not just because it's a loaner unit, but I'm not a huge fan of the stock tips. Whilst they're perfectly adequate, my go-to tips these days are the Whizzer ET100(ab)'s. They're kind of a plunger shape and fit my ears really well, whilst also providing a nice open sound and a good seal.

I'm not a cable believer so I didn’t see any reason to cable roll and therefore stuck with the one it came with. I also used my iBasso DX180 DAP for the majority of my listening and the comparisons.

Even before I first listened, I suspected my preferred tuning would be 0-1, as from the measurements, activating the first switch creates that lower mid bloat I dislike. I tried the various combinations anyway and I was right in my initial thoughts. I really didn't like the first switch on, I felt it made the lower mids a little muddy and raised the mid-bass too much.

I felt this negatively affected the openness and soundstage. I also felt that it kind of overwhelmed the upper treble and perceived detail. As such, all my listening impressions were from using the 0-1 switch configuration.

First Impressions and technicalities

From the first listen, I was impressed. It has a nice spacious sound without any muddiness or bloat, yet still sounds organic and detailed. One of the first things that struck me was how tall the stage was. I actually don't think I've heard an IEM before with a stage as tall as the Voltage. It’s not the best but perhaps above average. However it has a nice spherical presentation that envelopes you, with really good depth and laying.

Bass

I've heard a few people say the bass is a bit on the light side in the 0-1 configuration. If I was nitpicking I would say I'd like a touch more subbass, but the amount it has works really well with the rest of the tuning for me - giving it a really nice natural tonality without the bass being unnaturally emphasised.

It still has a touch more mid-bass than I've been used to of late, but it's really nice and I have no complaints, as it doesn't interfere with the mids and just adds to that organic cohesive tuning. The bass has nice texture, it doesn't sound too slow or too fast. I'm not a bass aficionado, so I won't go into great detail, but like DD's typically have, it has good texture and decay, I have nothing to complain about.

Mids

The lower mids have a lovely organic tonality to them, yet they don't muddy the rest of the mids, so there's a lovely sense of space and separation - yet there's no sign of any dryness which can often be the case when you keep the lower mids flat from 200Hz and also cause male vocals to sound a bit unnatural. Overall there's a real nice weight and heft to the sound. Really well done.

I wouldn’t say the upper mids are relaxed, which tends to be my preference. Instead the vocals have nice energy and are brought quite forward and close in the mix. The Voltage does a great job at not taking it too far and making it shouty, which I'm quite sensitive to - especially on typical Harman tuned IEMs. The mids overall are excellent and Penon have done a seriously good job making it clean and well separated yet still having that lush organic tonality they're so well known for.

Treble

The lower treble to me is a bit intense around the 5kHz region, it's one of the only gripes I have with the Voltage. I acknowledge and respect that this is personal and some people will be less sensitive than me to this region. Not all tracks I tried have a lot going on there, so it's not always an issue, however on certain tracks, I did find it a bit intense.

The rest of the treble region is really nice, with no sibilance for me. The upper treble has the right amount of energy giving that shimmer and detail, whilst also staying faithful to the natural tonality of the rest of the tuning, therefore not sounding overemphasized or artificial.

When I first tried the IEM in the 1-1 configuration, I initially thought it lacked extension. Whilst you could still hear the trail end of the cymbal hits etc, I found it was pushed back in the mix. However, going to 0-1, the upper treble came further forward in the mix, at least that's how I perceive it, as I felt the bloat in the low end in 1-1 configuration kind of overwhelmed it making it less audible. Overall I’d say the Voltage has really nice detail and technicalities.

Summary

The a voltage is wonderfully tuned, it has a nice heft to the note weight, organic mids and a very cohesive tuning, with very good technicalities and detail, that rivals other IEMs at this price point, with the depth of stage, the stage height and the layering capabilities being particularly stand out). It also succeeds in doing this without sounding bloated and thick or on the flip side too thin. The hype is justified, my only gripe is the 5kHz peak which can sound a little intense at times.

Comparisons

AD_4nXeIrEI1cklZG1RoXxsk6gZzN1CXk9LZpJSJZgPXF2kq1gM55b6b5zG6kUpnVbyPPFxMYTOgBlQ8iku1broSe3AgivIe2Ti0KQr4dDzkqqVEQdYHG3MNBc31Nbc_q5OfCMg8Tm5yMELzo57EK_7XvSYn_F-b

I thought I'd do some compressions with three of my IEMs; the Mega5EST, Dunu Mirai and the venerable 64Audio U12T. I appreciate these aren't really "fair" comparisons as the Mega5EST is half the price, and the U12T is almost double the price. However, I thought it would be interesting to use them as a measuring stick to see how the Voltage compares and if it not only justifies its price, but how it also competes with a similarly priced IEM in the Mirai and how it stacks up against the 64 U12T.

Hisenior Mega5EST

AD_4nXd-MmPGJMmGoyjiAxL6gEahiiSqkp3yBDvQCCNh6oCUlabUtuNv9xvpJ2oTU3t_o11-OrF4UQ27iB_9TIAMOljLXisiP-rvbAaSxmpY_ifhA4hWhcaUigsM5fJO4O1Drs4sHQLC4g2uBam_FeC7zNGcauyJ

Whilst the Mega5EST is half the price of the Voltage, the tuning philosophies are not a million miles apart, they're also both tribrids, albeit the Mega5EST only uses a single DD, two BA’s and 2EST’s.

The first thing I notice is the stage is flatter on the Mega5EST with less depth and considerably less height. The width is decent though and comparable with the Voltage.

The Mega5EST is also smoother across the entire frequency spectrum with more subbass extension. The Mega5EST takes more of a step back, with vocals not quite as forward and nothing offensive popping out to me, which gives it quite a relaxed listen - with some fairly decent detail thanks to the EST’s and the well extended treble.

Switching back to the Voltage, and it just sounds like a step up on the Mega5EST, the imaging and layering are improved and it sounds more detailed to me with better dynamics. It’s also ever so slightly less energetic in the upper treble region than the Mega5EST.

If I was looking to upgrade from Mega5EST and wanted an IEM that still had natural timbre but with a step up in technicalities, I’d highly recommend the Voltage and for me, justifies the price increase.

Dunu Mirai

AD_4nXedtrq_Y6aB4YFDxhHCGdGQSFtYTtW2SQQyffQtAocWTYkj0l7rdpZtTmUqHRI45QHZmpJNPB4WlEA7V8gUHUiE24YZ3TUuzrtFroCw688--pRTpBvW35rpJ72TWA69A9ntXZdIsSwm9PbCHg430ED2rPCb

Whilst the tunings are quite different, the Mirai is the closest IEM I have to the Voltage in terms of its RRP. Whilst the Mirai is now being sold at a discounted price, if you take into account headphones.com’s delivery charge and then the import duty that you’d inevitably have to pay, the final price would end up being pretty similar.

The Mirai to me has a slight warmish-neutral tuning with a noticeable upper treble peak. The Mirai also succeeds in not having too much midbass but avoids coming across as thin and lean. Like the Mega5EST, the vocals on the Mirai are also quite pushed back, giving a nice sense of space.

To me, everything sounds bigger on the Voltage, and I’d also give it the edge on stage size and depth. I think they’re both fairly comparable when it comes to imaging and layering. Detail is more easily perceived on the Voltage, however it is still there on the Mirai.

Like the Mega5EST the Mirai to me is inoffensive across the spectrum and there's no harsh peaks - although some may find the 15-16kHz peak to be harsh and to be too much, but it's not an issue for me.

The Mriai was my favourite IEM for a long while, and still remains up there to this day. I can listen to it for hours and it If I was looking for a more smooth presentation for relaxed listening whilst having the peak in the upper treble providing that bit of zing and shimmer giving more perceived detail, then I’d still highly recommend it.

I wouldn’t like to declare an overall winner here however if I was forced to choose only one, I’d go with the Voltage. I also suspect more people would prefer the Voltage, and that's fully understandable. You also get the versatility of the switches. I would happily have both IEMs in my collection

64Audio U12T

AD_4nXddTNmEFIrkoZC8gHInnLntan-Ym20_upl21nTqXo1fv3t--hmpRiexadpvaX-eBjHcVUSET_PpUqLHPpKyydxR0Yv-CL_aiYtLNJ45XRPBhhjgOIrqJGnY9YfV6cBpxo7By8ZhUu8pyOppLQwkGHblQR8H

The U12T is my most recent purchase and also most expensive to date. I know that comparing the Voltage to the U12T isn't exactly fair and I'm not expecting it to beat the U12T and nor should it really, being considerably more expensive. However I still thought it would be interesting to do the comparison as a barometer, to see how close the Voltage can get.

Switching straight from the Voltage to the U12T, it's immediately noticeable that they're quite different and far apart. The U12T is admittedly a step above in terms of technicalities, there's no other way to put it. It has a larger stage, better imaging and dynamics. Its detail retrieval and sheer resolution are also better. Like the Mriai, it also has a dip at 3khz, enabling the vocals to take a slight step back.

It's not all one sided though, the U12T sounds noticeably less natural and organic than the Voltage, with a more coloured tuning that is quite U shaped.

Overall I think the U12T is the better IEM and if it was a choice of one or the other, I’d take the U12T every time. However, that's not a knock on the Voltage, the U12T is considerably more expensive, and whilst the U12T has superior technicalities, the Voltage is no slouch in this department at all, and pushing to improve this will ultimately take away from its organic and natural tuning. Furthermore, technicalities aren't everything and I’m sure many people would prefer the Voltage, due to its musicality and naturalness that it offers.

Conclusion

AD_4nXeaD8-A2MqZpvEFxKsdG_DhG-4uM2RC6jRqQ74iYww5Qr78dyE5dgy0L_jnJGQk6A6cGbgEb1kejQx86ain5v47AnQI-KbG2nLdp7g2QmDC5oTctFla8pKIho05s7HiBVzm-MnFy3PEHQN4wx4kDmzICu9N

Penon has really surprised me with the Voltage. It's the best Penon I've heard to date, easily. It’s a wonderful IEM and I’ve enjoyed every minute listening to it. My only real gripe is the 5kHz peak which I find a bit intense on some tracks, however it's not a deal breaker and doesn’t make the Voltage unlistenable.

So, the big questions are; would I buy it and does it justify its price?

To answer the first question is easy - yes, absolutely. I think it's a wonderful IEM and the Voltage would compliment my collection well, by bringing a more organic and natural sounding option, whilst still having really good technicalities and other qualities I look for in an IEM.

The second question is a little more difficult to answer. Diminishing returns are real and once you get past the $400-$500 mark, for me the improvements are small and incremental. I don't think anyone can really say a $1,200 IEM is three times as good as a $400 one. Especially in the current market with how good mid-fi IEMs have now become.

Therefore, you have to consider whether the improvements you get are worth the price hike for you, and also what you're willing to spend. For me, I think it does (justify its price), and comfortably hangs with other kilobuck IEMs I've tried and owned. In fact I like it so much, I'll probably look to purchase my own Voltage to add to my collection in the near future.
Last edited:

The wholesome pair
Pros: x Balanced sound signature
x Impeccable tuning
x No sibilance or harshness
x Tuning switches that make a difference
x Beautiful shells
x Fantastic stock cable
x Well accessorized
Cons: x sometimes a bit too laidback
x tonality can come across as a bit boring
x less detailed than I would have liked
x cable should really come with an earhook as standard
PXL_20240702_192942272.jpg

Review of Penon Voltage
I've had the pleasure to try the Penon Voltage IEMs as part of the Audio Geek European/UK IEM-tour. The Voltage is a 10 driver IEM with 4 EST drivers, 4 BA and 2 dynamic drivers, it retails at 1199 USD. It features 2 tuning switches which can alter the sound.
The design
I love the color scheme of the shell, it's a gorgeous ruby red with black and yellowish accents and is made of medical grade resin. The shells feel high quality. The nozzles are on the larger side but aren't overly long. The cable is also well design with carbon fibre and gold accents. It's the Obsidian cable which if it was bought separately costs 149 USD, it's a 4 Shares OCC & 18K Gold-plated OCC.
Fit and comfort
They fit very well in my ears. The shells are not overly large. There's no real pressure point that hurts after a while. I can use them for extensive listening sessions without discomfort. The cable however, would benefit from ear hooks because I have to tighten the chin slider quite hard in order for the cable not to fall off from my ear easily, I think it's mostly due to the fact that I wear glasses and the cable is quite thick. If this is an issue for you, I'm sure that if you ask you can order the IEMs with a cable with earhooks.
Sound impressions
I'm beginning to understand the house sound of Penon after having owned a few. They like to present the sound with a lush and warmish neutral tonality and the Voltage is no exception. But sometimes it can come across as a bit too laidback and maybe even analytical. This can both be a con and a pro.
I could describe it this way; the Penons are like the loyal, trusty, down-to-earth girlfriend you had which you loved. You always knew where you had her and she didn't really surprise you that much because of that, you started to feel a bit bored and you started looking for a more fiery and spicy experience. You left your old gal and started dating this fiery red head that soon turned out too be too needy, she shouted at you for no reason and after a while you started longing for your old trusty loyal down-to-earth ex who actually was right for you all along and you should never have left her.
Luckily, the Voltage will always be there, because it's an IEM and not an ex girlfriend so it's easy to just go back and once you do, you will immediately understand why you shouldn't have left it.
It has the details but not overly so, it feels very balanced with the switch at 0,0. I prefer some more bass so I keep the switches at 1.0. But even at the switch at 1.0 it feels that nothing is lacking in the overall balanced between lows, mids and highs. I think that's the real sign of a TOTL-iem done right. If feels like there are no bad peaks and valleys in the frequency response which can distract from the overall listening pleasure.
There is no sibiliance to be heard, nor is the treble very extended, but it's far from pulled back too much either, if there were more treble extension the balance wouldn't be as good, so the whole frequency response would need to become brighter, and that would not be favourable. Midrange is good, both male and female vocals sound natural.
Somebody said that they feel like the Penon Fan 2 on stereoids and I must concur. I was never a fan of the fan 2 (pun intended) but I am certainly liking the Voltage quite a bit more.
Summary
I give it 4 stars out of 5 because as a complete package with a good assortment of ear tips, the very nice Obisidian cable with interchangeable connectors and the gorgeous looking IEM it's a great buy for those that like well balanced, well tuned iem with a tonality on the analytical side. Don't expect a detail monster or an airy IEM however. The tuning is a non-fatiguing safe tuning that won't wow you but it will be the IEM you probably come back to most often.
Last edited:

Comments

There are no comments to display.
Back