What sound card or DAC/headphone amp to buy?
Jun 25, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #16 of 58
You could build a ODAC that look like some recycled trash, and in a taped up cardboard box, and it would be just as good as the one from JDS
I think there is a reason all DACs come in a metal box :yum:. But I think I will stay clear from the O2 and ODAC, since I don't like how they look and are poorly available here.
Perhaps a stupid question, but does the Schiit Modi 2 Uber come with a USB cable? If not, do you guys recommend any or just buy the PYST USB with it?
No one?

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #17 of 58
Perhaps a stupid question, but does the Schiit Modi 2 Uber come with a USB cable? If not, do you guys recommend any or just buy the PYST USB with it?
Nope, doesn't come with one. Just use any old USB B cable, it doesn't really matter. I use the Monoprice cable (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5440), sometimes I even use my printer cable. You could buy a PYST, but please don't expect it to sound any different. It's just there because it's durable, well built and looks nice.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #18 of 58
Nope, doesn't come with one. Just use any old USB B cable, it doesn't really matter. I use the Monoprice cable (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5440), sometimes I even use my printer cable. You could buy a PYST, but please don't expect it to sound any different. It's just there because it's durable, well built and looks nice.
Does the length of the USB cable have any impact on the sound maybe? And is it okay if I plug it into the USB3.0 hub of my Dell U3415W monitor? I have heard some DACs to not play well when they are plugged into a hub.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #19 of 58
Does the length of the USB cable have any impact on the sound maybe? And is it okay if I plug it into the USB3.0 hub of my Dell U3415W monitor? I have heard some DACs to not play well when they are plugged into a hub.
Assuming you're using USB 2.0, the rated length is 5m. If you want to go past 5m it's recommended to use a repeater. I've never tried to plug a USB into a monitor hub but I would assume it would work fine, I don't see why it wouldn't unless it was faulty. Even if it didn't I'm sure 5m is plenty long to plug into your motherboard.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #20 of 58
Assuming you're using USB 2.0, the rated length is 5m. If you want to go past 5m it's recommended to use a repeater. I've never tried to plug a USB into a monitor hub but I would assume it would work fine, I don't see why it wouldn't unless it was faulty. Even if it didn't I'm sure 5m is plenty long to plug into your motherboard.
Thanks, I will play around a bit when I have bought the device(s). But I am still undecided what I should buy. The Schiit Stack is nice, but for about half the money I can buy a SMSL M6 and I wouldn't have to constantly unplug my headphones when I want to use my speakers. I however don't know what to trust. I want it to last for about 4-5 years.

I guess the advantage I do have with the Schiit Stack is I won't hear a lot of difference in buying a more expensive DAC in the future and I can buy whatever amp I want, right? So the Schiit Stack would be more future proof I guess. I don't really know actually.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #21 of 58
Thanks, I will play around a bit when I have bought the device(s). But I am still undecided what I should buy. The Schiit Stack is nice, but for about half the money I can buy a SMSL M6 and I wouldn't have to constantly unplug my headphones when I want to use my speakers. I however don't know what to trust. I want it to last for about 4-5 years.

I guess the advantage I do have with the Schiit Stack is I won't hear a lot of difference in buying a more expensive DAC in the future and I can buy whatever amp I want, right? So the Schiit Stack would be more future proof I guess. I don't really know actually.

Well it's up to you of course. The Schiit Magni 2 outputs a hell of a lot more power, so if you ever purchase some more demanding headphones, the Schiit will have no problems. The Magni 2 outputs 1.2W/1200mW at 32 ohms while the SMSL outputs 130mW at 32 ohms. Apart from that, like I mentioned before, SMSL doesn't exactly have a very positive reputation here (https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/do-not-buy-smsl-products-specially-smsl-m2-usb-dac.753399/page-2). If you want it to last 4-5 years, my bet would go to Schiit. Also Schiit has fantastic customer service so there's that too.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #23 of 58
I know that, except Schiit Europe has a bad reputation when it comes to customer service...
That's unfortunate. I don't particularly know how Schiit deals with international customers, especially when bought from the distributor and not Schiit themselves, but I've had issues with my local distributor (for Shure) so I contacted the main headquarter and asked them for assistance instead. They were very nice and helped me resolved my issue very quickly. Maybe you could do the same? I can't guarantee anything though. Different businesses function differently but it could be an option.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #24 of 58
That's unfortunate. I don't particularly know how Schiit deals with international customers, especially when bought from the distributor and not Schiit themselves, but I've had issues with my local distributor (for Shure) so I contacted the main headquarter and asked them for assistance instead. They were very nice and helped me resolved my issue very quickly. Maybe you could do the same? I can't guarantee anything though. Different businesses function differently but it could be an option.
I read from the feedback they had to contact Schiit USA to get it fixed, but it did get fixed through them. But I guess it's very rare Schiit products fail.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #25 of 58
after reading your post and considering your requirements the first items that came to my mind were:
buy a used NAD D1050 or IFI Idsd Micro.
They are pretty easy to get on the used market around here, and fit your requirements very well.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #26 of 58
buy a used NAD D1050 or IFI Idsd Micro.
They are pretty easy to get on the used market around here, and fit your requirements very well.
I have looked at the NAD D 1050 before, I think I can get it new for around €400, but I don't know where I can get a used one. The IFI micro iDSD looks interesting, but also there I don't know where to get it new or used.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #27 of 58
both are really solid for the price and heavy on features.
Search the internet for some hifi forums or second hand (audio) homepages in your country.
Otherwise there are still ebay or audiogon :)
Good luck.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #28 of 58
Search the internet for some hifi forums or second hand (audio) homepages in your country.
I don't know any second hand pages for audio in Belgium, might have to search a bit, but I did find both the NAD D 1050 (for €220 used) and the IFI Micro iDSD (for €330 used) on Amazon.de.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #29 of 58
I can't find a used NAD D 1050 anymore for a decent price. Don't know about the IFI, it looks like a good DAC/amp with so many switches. I did however find a used ADL Furutech Esprit, is it any good? I can't find much about it.

Also, I read somewhere the SMSL M6 and Aune X1S aren't good amps for low power headphones like my Philips Fidelio X2HR, is that true?

Lastly, if I were to buy passive speakers and a speaker amp, is a pre-out useful or a pain in the ass on the headphone amp (assuming I connect the headphone amp to the speaker amp)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back