What do I need for my new Senn HD600's?
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #16 of 24
What's the consequences of getting an under-powered amp/dac?

I just woke up, so I might be a bit(lot) wrong about this but if I can recall, the difference between optimally powered headphones and under-powered headphones is normally:
a) size of soundstage
Sometimes a soundstage will shrink or grow depending on the amount of power your headphones get

b) listening volume
Depending on your headphones efficiency, you may or may not be able to reach listening levels of volume when underpowered

c) distortion
Amps tend to distort sound more when cranked close to max volume, so a weaker amp will probably distort more when turned up to reach a listening volume that a more powerful amp reaches easily

d) extension
Like soundstage, some headphones will extend further in the bass or treble region when amped well, depending on their efficiency.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #17 of 24

Depending on how severely it's underpowered:

1. Not loud enough

2. Or loud enough, but heavily distorted and has a lot of noise

3. Lack of dynamics. Grados are always touted as very dynamic and people think it's some kind of special sauce magic when for the most part that's due to how high their effiiciency is - you can get louder easily, and since playing louder assuming you're not piling on distortion, clipping, running out of current, etc, you'd perceive the sound as better (ie, audiophile terms being "natural and effortless"). Think of it like how a lightweight Lotus can have a supercharged 3.5L V6 from a Toyota Camry and can go toe to toe with a BMW M5 when you overtake on highways or with a Lamborghini on a race track.

The HD600s aren't likely to encounter the first two from anything other than really low current, low voltage audio chips, like in my old iPod Video, or any crappy smartphone (or hell, those old "music phones" from Nokia and Motorola). As for the third, I won't be able to tell if you would be able to tell the difference between the Schiit Fulla 2 and Meier Classic for example, but you might as well get the Magni2 or Vali2. They'll drive virtually anything anyway so they're a good investment for most headphones that you might get later on.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #18 of 24
They are sonic. Possibly lower volume. Reduced bass emphasis and response and poorer macrodynamics, primarily. Overall, the music will have less body and fullness to it. Those are in my opinion the primary consequences. It won't damage the headphone to be underpowered, though.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #19 of 24
Alternatively, you could get the Fulla 2 and if you decide you want to spend more or want more power, buy a Magni 2 and use the Full 2 as just a dac.

Either way, you will definitely get plenty of volume from the Fulla 2.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #20 of 24
Alternatively, you could get the Fulla 2 and if you decide you want to spend more or want more power, buy a Magni 2 and use the Full 2 as just a dac.

+1 to getting Fulla 2 first since you will immediately a good budget DAC and a good budget immediately all for just under $100 and upgrade to a better amp later if desired.

I'm listening to my HD 600 out of an original Fulla and it sounds delicious. Usually I drive my 600's from an iFi Can amp (from a Roland UA-M10 DAC), but even from the Fulla I can enjoy them and they certainly get plenty of volume.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 24
The Modi is just a DAC, the Magni is the amp.

To answer your question, you'd be better off just getting the amp, rather than just the DAC, but that's just my opinion (I think the AMP makes a more audible difference, per dollar spent). Additionally, while it's definitely a great amp, my ears aren't too thrilled with the Magni. I prefer warmer sound signatures. You haven't really said much as to your preference. There are some tube amps in a similar-ish price category as the magni which may not be awful ideas.
I couldn't really tell you what my preference is, neutral I guess. I don't mind bass but I don't like a lot of it

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #22 of 24

Would that be just as good as getting the modi 2 and magni 2 or would the modi 2 work better as a DAC, also would I hear a significant difference from the fulla 2 compared to no amp or dac at all?

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #23 of 24
Would that be just as good as getting the modi 2 and magni 2 or would the modi 2 work better as a DAC, also would I hear a significant difference from the fulla 2 compared to no amp or dac at all?
It's basically an all-in-one that's affordable. For efficient, poorly scaling headphones, you won't hear much difference. If the headphones scale with their equipment, you'll probably notice the difference.

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #24 of 24

With the 600, the difference should be noticeable, if not right away, then after using it for a time then comparing with what you used before.

The dac in each are very comparable. The Magni 2 has a bit more power than the Fulla 2, but are voiced quite similar. If your on an absolute budget, I would recommend the Fulla 2 over the Modi/Magni. You can always add something like the Vali 2 (which is great with the Senns) later and use the Fulla 2 as just a dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back