What do I need for my new Senn HD600's?
Jun 28, 2017 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sirwoofish

New Head-Fier
Below $100 AU preferably
Okay so I scored a deal on some HD600's and they will be my first "audiophile" headphones, so I have no clue what to get for them. Should I get a sound card? An amp or dac or both? Or should I go without anything at all?! It's all very confusing and expensive. I really don't want to spend anymore money than I have to so any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. I also have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH motherboard if that helps

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 24
Below $100 AU preferably
Okay so I scored a deal on some HD600's and they will be my first "audiophile" headphones, so I have no clue what to get for them. Should I get a sound card? An amp or dac or both? Or should I go without anything at all?! It's all very confusing and expensive. I really don't want to spend anymore money than I have to so any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated

Unless what you're using it with now really sucks outright, you might as well just save up for a much better DAC-HPamp for not a lot more money.

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 24
HD600s arent too hard to drive,no need to break the bank for a mega amp....A Schiit stack would work well.

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 24
3 best choices for your 600's are 1) Schiit Modi2/Magni2 stack, 2) O2, 3) Jds Element. The Schiit stack looks the best IMO but is the largest setup if I'm correct. I have the Schiit stack and I love it, even though I'm upgrading it. Any of those 3 are best for you but I agree with the previous posters: definitely get an amp and a DAC, it's best to save up for one of those 3 because almost anything cheaper won't quite be worth the money.

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 24
3 best choices for your 600's are 1) Schiit Modi2/Magni2 stack, 2) O2, 3) Jds Element. The Schiit stack looks the best IMO but is the largest setup if I'm correct. I have the Schiit stack and I love it, even though I'm upgrading it. Any of those 3 are best for you but I agree with the previous posters: definitely get an amp and a DAC, it's best to save up for one of those 3 because almost anything cheaper won't quite be worth the money.[/QUO
Do you have to get the Schiit stack or could you just go with the modi2 I thought it was both amp and dac, also do you need both an amp and dac? Whats the difference?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 24
Do you have to get the Schiit stack or could you just go with the modi2 I thought it was both amp and dac, also do you need both an amp and dac? Whats the difference?
Schiit doesn't offer any dac/amp combos in your price range that would be good with the 600s; the Modi 2 is just a DAC. The DAC is for converting digital signal from computer to analog, and will help music sound much more detailed. The amp just helps to drive the headphones. As for which one is more important, they are both a requirement in my opinion for the 600s (any other audio enthusiast will agree). The amp is arguably more important but you likely won't be very happy with the 600 if you only owned one or the other. The Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 is often considered the best beginner gear for nice headphones. I highly recommend those; you can even find some eBay sellers offering both of them together with the nice PYST rca cables to connect them. You can go your whole life only owning the HD600 and the Schiit stack, and be perfectly happy with how it all sounds. Anything less and you're not getting your money's worth out of the headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 24
The Modi is just a DAC, the Magni is the amp.

To answer your question, you'd be better off just getting the amp, rather than just the DAC, but that's just my opinion (I think the AMP makes a more audible difference, per dollar spent). Additionally, while it's definitely a great amp, my ears aren't too thrilled with the Magni. I prefer warmer sound signatures. You haven't really said much as to your preference. There are some tube amps in a similar-ish price category as the magni which may not be awful ideas.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 24
Save until you can at least afford a $99 Schiit Fulla 2 (which is an all-in-one dac/amp combo). Anything cheaper than that is a waste of money for the HD600.

If you want to save further, anything from the Modi dac lineup ($99-250) plus a Vali 2 amp ($169) is an excellent combo.

All prices are USD but I believe there is a local distributor in your region.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 24
The Modi is just a DAC, the Magni is the amp.

To answer your question, you'd be better off just getting the amp, rather than just the DAC, but that's just my opinion (I think the AMP makes a more audible difference, per dollar spent). Additionally, while it's definitely a great amp, my ears aren't too thrilled with the Magni. I prefer warmer sound signatures. You haven't really said much as to your preference. There are some tube amps in a similar-ish price category as the magni which may not be awful ideas.
What about the fulla schiit 2? That says it's both an amp and dac

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 24
As @mysticstryk pointed out, the Fulla 2 is definitely an option. It is, however, much less power than the Magni 2 and, depending on one's proclivities, may be a wee bit underpowered for the 300-ohm HD600. It will work, I'm not saying it won't, it's just that it won't be driving the headphones optimally, that's all. If it were me, I would get a Magni 2 and then wait until I can do a Modi 2 to complete the pairing. That's just me, you may decide to go with the Fulla 2, which, again, will work, it just may be a bit underpowered.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #14 of 24
That depends on you. It's not a bad product, but the magni would be a longer-term upgrade. The Fulla basically fills the gap between the discrete amp/dac and your motherboard amp/dac, or DAP, or whatever source you're using. I'm not sure if you plan on upgrading headphones again later, and what those hypothetical cans' power needs would be. It's a judgment call.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 24
As @mysticstryk pointed out, the Fulla 2 is definitely an option. It is, however, much less power than the Magni 2 and, depending on one's proclivities, may be a wee bit underpowered for the 300-ohm HD600. It will work, I'm not saying it won't, it's just that it won't be driving the headphones optimally, that's all. If it were me, I would get a Magni 2 and then wait until I can do a Modi 2 to complete the pairing. That's just me, you may decide to go with the Fulla 2, which, again, will work, it just may be a bit underpowered.
What's the consequences of getting an under-powered amp/dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back