flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 22, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,807 of 39,414
Jul 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,808 of 39,414
i made a mistake...I clicked on your links, now time for a demo session in my local shops with the encoreeeee
I made a similar mistake: Reading @PinkyPowers U12 review again. I read it before and just like then the U12 presents a very compelling proposition. The way he describes the U12 they have certain strengths that perhaps the UE18+ and Maestro V2 do not have such as the bass and the soundstage, yet they also appear to present a smooth and organic sound.

Perhaps the UE18+ and Maestro V2 would be technically better for classical music, but one of my guilty pleasures is enjoying a bit of bass naughtiness. In the classical piece Ma Vlast, Vltava, which is about a river, there is a section that sounds like a heavy thunderstorm and while my Ei.3 have a higher quality bass, the rumble of my old se215 is more capable of giving me the feeling like it is right overhead. Not the most realistic presentation, but very enjoyable nonetheless. The U12 seem to be capable of a very special bass that I feel would work wonders on those sort of sections.

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,809 of 39,414
I made a similar mistake: Reading @PinkyPowers U12 review again. I read it before and just like then the U12 presents a very compelling proposition. The way he describes the U12 they have certain strengths that perhaps the UE18+ and Maestro V2 do not have such as the bass and the soundstage, yet they also appear to present a smooth and organic sound.

Perhaps the UE18+ and Maestro V2 would be technically better for classical music, but one of my guilty pleasures is enjoying a bit of bass naughtiness. In the classical piece Ma Vlast, Vltava, which is about a river, there is a section that sounds like a heavy thunderstorm and while my Ei.3 have a higher quality bass, the rumble of my old se215 is more capable of giving me the feeling like it is right overhead. Not the most realistic presentation, but very enjoyable nonetheless. The U12 seem to be capable of a very special bass that I feel would work wonders on those sort of sections.
I owned the U12 and I feel the bass of the Maestro V2 would satisfy the U12 fans. I loved the U12 it is great and while it is fun to play with different modules and cables and sources it took a while for me to decide the M15 module with REF.8 cable and Opus#2 was the best I could do with the U12, and it was sublime. It took a lot of trial and error to find the right mix. Out of the box the Maestro has that warm tone, solid deep bass but very smooth with the treble. The main advantage of the U12 would be the soundstage is really good and I think it is wider and deeper than the Maestro.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,810 of 39,414
I owned the U12 and I feel the bass of the Maestro V2 would satisfy the U12 fans. I loved the U12 it is great and while it is fun to play with different modules and cables and sources it took a while for me to decide the M15 module with REF.8 cable and Opus#2 was the best I could do with the U12, and it was sublime. It took a lot of trial and error to find the right mix. Out of the box the Maestro has that warm tone, solid deep bass but very smooth with the treble.
Thanks! Might have a look and see if I can demo the two somewhere here in London. I know one shop that is a dealer for 64 and used to have UM as well, but their website was not up to date (no Maestro) so I am not sure if they still have them.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #2,813 of 39,414
The Solar is no slouch. I enjoyed it a lot.
+1

The only (c)iem in my current collection that I consider to be a clear upgrade over my Solar is the Zeus XR. I consider the others more like sidegrades with different kinda signatures.
Cable matching is another thing. In the beginning I mainly listened with a (warmer) silver/gold cable. These days I prefer it with a (special Norne prototype) silver one...
thumb

Solar especially has amazing bass :L3000:
No plans of saying goodbye to it yet...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2,814 of 39,414
I have to say the Zeus XR is a definite upgrade. Again the signature is key at this level. I always listened to the Solar with pure silver. I use the Ares II copper with the Zeus. The seal is real key to the universal Zeus and then the bass is really good. It seems the criticism you always hear of the Zeus is it is bright. With the new shell and the right tips I pretty much eliminated any weird chhh sound on the cymbals.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #2,815 of 39,414
I put my w900 on ebay too. It's not my taste. I'm too sesitive with treble. I couldn't listen to it more than an hour. I almost bought a A18 but after have a conversation with a lady from 64audio, i knew that it's not me. I decided purchased a A12, my first ciem. I'm in love with the sound signature of U12 which i can listen to it for hours.
I wonder that any TOTL iem in here have the smooth sound like U12 ?

Funny I found the treble too smooth and lacking air. The U12 must really be smooth like a baby's ass.

- Budget maybe ard 2k usd? Usually I buy used iems instead of retail ones heh
- An airier Solar with slightly reduced bass quantity but with more treble presence (not too sharp though I'm sensitive, Rhapsodio RDBv1 mini made me scared)

Thanks!

I recommend to audition, because at this level, despite what people will tell you, you won't have clear upgrade to Solar. Maybe a bit better in some departments, a bit less in some others. You can try Prophile 8. Less expensive. With both switches on will fit the bill. Ultra airy.

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #2,816 of 39,414
I owned the U12 and I feel the bass of the Maestro V2 would satisfy the U12 fans. I loved the U12 it is great and while it is fun to play with different modules and cables and sources it took a while for me to decide the M15 module with REF.8 cable and Opus#2 was the best I could do with the U12, and it was sublime. It took a lot of trial and error to find the right mix. Out of the box the Maestro has that warm tone, solid deep bass but very smooth with the treble. The main advantage of the U12 would be the soundstage is really good and I think it is wider and deeper than the Maestro.
Been looking around for a few more reviews of the U12 and enjoyed reading yours! So now I am looking forward to your review of the Maestro V2. No pressure! :wink:

I also came across one direct comparison of the Maestro V2 and U12 on Headfonics:

The A12 is rated at 16 ohms and 116dB and much like the VE6XC it also more efficient than the Maestro V2 with volume parameters coming around 10-15 steps lower on the AK240 on low gain mode.

Tonally the A12 is warmer than the VE6XC and with a stronger low end but it is not as authoritative as the V2’s more muscular low end. Both have excellent low-end texture and depth but I find the Maestro v2 to have better sub-bass performance, (though with a longer decay) over the A12 which is slightly pacier and lighter in comparison. Mids on the A12 are more open and spacious than the darker sounding V2 but vocals sounded smoother and more controlled on the V2, particularly for female vocals.

Treble on the A12 is also laid back but it has a tiny peak on the lower treble which gives it a slightly forced perception of clarity compared to the darker but smoother treble performance of the V2. I actually find the V2 treble response to sound just that bit more natural and less brittle than the lower treble of the A12.

That’s unusual for me to say that because more often than not I have been a keen advocate of the A12’s laid back treble as being quite smooth but it does react to cable changes and with a Twag v4 cable the A12 does come out of its treble shell a whole lot more so you do tend to notice that little lower treble peak. In saying that it is a very mild peak, just not as smooth as the V2 Maestro’s treble. If you want to dull it down just stick the stock cable back on but be prepared for the rest of the FR to take a hit also.

http://headfonics.com/2016/11/the-maestro-v2-by-unique-melody/
Interesting thoughts on the bass, which seem to be in line with your own impressions that the Maestro V2 will not disappoint fans of the U12. I really need to shoot off a few emails to see if I can find a place to demo my top 3 TOTL contenders, the U12, Maestro V2 and UE18+ Pro... How am I going to explain this one to my wife. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #2,817 of 39,414
Been looking around for a few more reviews of the U12 and enjoyed reading yours! So now I am looking forward to your review of the Maestro V2. No pressure! :wink:

I also came across one direct comparison of the Maestro V2 and U12 on Headfonics:

The A12 is rated at 16 ohms and 116dB and much like the VE6XC it also more efficient than the Maestro V2 with volume parameters coming around 10-15 steps lower on the AK240 on low gain mode.

Tonally the A12 is warmer than the VE6XC and with a stronger low end but it is not as authoritative as the V2’s more muscular low end. Both have excellent low-end texture and depth but I find the Maestro v2 to have better sub-bass performance, (though with a longer decay) over the A12 which is slightly pacier and lighter in comparison. Mids on the A12 are more open and spacious than the darker sounding V2 but vocals sounded smoother and more controlled on the V2, particularly for female vocals.

Treble on the A12 is also laid back but it has a tiny peak on the lower treble which gives it a slightly forced perception of clarity compared to the darker but smoother treble performance of the V2. I actually find the V2 treble response to sound just that bit more natural and less brittle than the lower treble of the A12.

That’s unusual for me to say that because more often than not I have been a keen advocate of the A12’s laid back treble as being quite smooth but it does react to cable changes and with a Twag v4 cable the A12 does come out of its treble shell a whole lot more so you do tend to notice that little lower treble peak. In saying that it is a very mild peak, just not as smooth as the V2 Maestro’s treble. If you want to dull it down just stick the stock cable back on but be prepared for the rest of the FR to take a hit also.

http://headfonics.com/2016/11/the-maestro-v2-by-unique-melody/
Interesting thoughts on the bass, which seem to be in line with your own impressions that the Maestro V2 will not disappoint fans of the U12. I really need to shoot off a few emails to see if I can find a place to demo my top 3 TOTL contenders, the U12, Maestro V2 and UE18+ Pro... How am I going to explain this one to my wife. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Explain it how she explained to you when she went shopping.

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #2,819 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back