flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,776 of 39,414
i have heard ue18+ universal, no sparkle what so ever, not my cup of tea, i mean everything is there, but feels like its making the sounds hold its breath a bit if it makes sense
but i centainly understand how this can attribute to naturalness to band music that flinkenick was talking about
Yes, but I don't mind the reduced sparkle because I am very treble sensitive. I need my IEMs to be smooth and natural sounding, which is why I went with the Ei.3 for my first entry into a somewhat higher segment.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,777 of 39,414
Yes, but I don't mind the reduced sparkle because I am very treble sensitive. I need my IEMs to be smooth and natural sounding, which is why I went with the Ei.3 for my first entry into a somewhat higher segment.

The UE18+ Pro has little sparkle compared to the U18, Dream, and Samba, but its linearity and tonality is amazingly natural. The Samba especially has an audible peak in the upper mids, which is key in its brilliant clarity and resolution, while the 18+ Pro has enough restraint to reel it in and sound beautiful and realistic because of it. The best part about debating between the UE18+ Pro and the Maestro v2 is they use the same external 2-pin connector. So, you can technically buy both and have the reasoning be to get more value out of aftermarket cables. Definitely no worse than the justifications I've made to make ludicrous purchases in the past :D

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,778 of 39,414
The UE18+ Pro has little sparkle compared to the U18, Dream, and Samba, but its linearity and tonality is amazingly natural. The Samba especially has an audible peak in the upper mids, which is key in its brilliant clarity and resolution, while the 18+ Pro has enough restraint to reel it in and sound beautiful and realistic because of it. The best part about debating between the UE18+ Pro and the Maestro v2 is they use the same external 2-pin connector. So, you can technically buy both and have the reasoning be to get more value out of aftermarket cables. Definitely no worse than the justifications I've made to make ludicrous purchases in the past :D
That is what I find so appealing about the UE18+. When I listen to classical music at the moment I immediately notice it when an instrument is reproduced accurately, as it conveys the emotions of the piece so much better. I value that over clarity. I much prefer an organically flowing sound that might at first appear unimpressive until you listen attentively and get a good sense of the emotion in the instruments.

I do like your reasoning on getting the most out of aftermarket cables! :grin: Do regular 2-pin connectors fit the UE18+? I was wondering about that because Ultimate Ears use a different looking connector.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #2,779 of 39,414
That is what I find so appealing about the UE18+. When I listen to classical music at the moment I immediately notice it when an instrument is reproduced accurately, as it conveys the emotions of the piece so much better. I value that over clarity. I much prefer an organically flowing sound that might at first appear unimpressive until you listen attentively and get a good sense of the emotion in the instruments.

I do like your reasoning on getting the most out of aftermarket cables! :grin: Do regular 2-pin connectors fit the UE18+? I was wondering about that because Ultimate Ears use a different looking connector.
at least for the universal version the cable ends in a 2 pin enclosed by a tube (the tip of the pins being level with the wall edge). and this tube bites onto an extrusion on the shell which has 2 holes on it

im sure theres a name for this, but idk

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #2,780 of 39,414

No, they won't. It's a proprietary connector that has 0.74mm pins vs. the typical 0.78mm pins on normal 2-pin connectors. UM also recently also picked up for improved durability. On most aftermarket cable manufacturers, it's known as the "UE connector" or the "Extruded connector".

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,781 of 39,414
Hmmm... Nic, have you ever been tested for ADHD? :sweat_smile:

We reviewers no longer have to worry about diagnoses. We know what we are, and have embraced it, for good or ill.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,782 of 39,414
We reviewers no longer have to worry about diagnoses. We know what we are, and have embraced it, for good or ill.

That's right, "We reviewers" self-diagnose ourselves, the same way how we analyze the earphones and other audio gear :p

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2,784 of 39,414
Oh yes. Been there. When I started out, I progressed from a $100 IEM to a $1000 IEM in less than a year.

:dizzy_face:

I went from getting a se215 to Zeus XR in a little over a year.... And of course... Lots of transactions in between.

Now that I've reached my endgame and pleasure, focusing on drones as a hobby and getting back into boxin

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,785 of 39,414
I went from getting a se215 to Zeus XR in a little over a year.... And of course... Lots of transactions in between.

Now that I've reached my endgame and pleasure, focusing on drones as a hobby and getting back into boxin
It took me years to do that. From normal buds to Koss Porta pro to AKG earphones to Shure SE210 to Shure SE530 (then several pairs of that) to Shure SE535, to reseller Shure with 3 added drivers to UM Miracles, 1plus2, SE5, etc. And it all went to crap.

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,786 of 39,414
UM's build is pretty good, but not Fitear or Vision Ears level. Better than JH though. From my experience of course.
German engineering power

So, #5 will probably be revealed next friday?

Or did I somehow misunderstood (I'm usually pretty good at that)?

Not that I'm getting bored over here or anything like that...it's quite spectacular to watch how fast the grass grows these days, must be because of all the recent rainfall

Hope so, But early 2018 is also probable. How is profit nowadays? You know, from dealing 'grass' over there :D

Have you also heard the UE18+ Pro? I wonder how the Maestro compares in terms of its timber and whether or not is has a similarly realistic sound.

I should probably hope not because that would make the Maestro my new "most interesting" TOTL option and I keep having to adjust my budget. I think it is getting to around ten times what I had envisioned when I set out to buy "some better IEMs" a year ago... :ksc75smile:
For around 10% the price of Zeus-R ADEL, you could buy Yuin OK1 and get the sound quality as good if not better (with similar weak bass, but larger soundstage, and smoother treble). YMMV. If what you seek is 'affordable better earphone'.

The Dream kinda is a Titanium earbud with a nozzle and tip. Very lightweight and comfortable.

My initial impression of the Maestro is very good. I find myself saying that a lot recently, but I have been fortunate to have or borrow some seriously TOTL IEM's recently. The Maestro is one of those IEM's that doesn't really require much brain burn-in, IMO. It is warm, with a natural tone, easy to listen to. I enjoyed it for an hour long dog walk this morning and the sound was superb. The stage is not real wide but there is depth. It layers exceptionally well. Needs a bit of nudging of power to wake it up.
Thanks for your impression. You've also reviewed UM Mentor 2. How's Maestro 2 compared to it? I think for the value, Mentor is a good alternative to Maestro.

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #2,787 of 39,414

The SE215 seems to be a popular model to start with. I also had it 3 years ago (gave it to my non-audiophile brother) when I signed up on HF. From that moment on this hobby escalated quickly :ksc75smile:

Getting back into boxing eh? Mickey Rourke style?
mickey-rourke-boxer.jpg

Hope so, But early 2018 is also probable. How is profit nowadays? You know, from dealing 'grass' over there :D
Profit is great, thanks for asking :thumbsup:
I often wonder: how else would I have been able to afford my current audio collection? Selling a kidney or robbing banks just didn't seem to be the best options to me.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #2,788 of 39,414
No, they won't. It's a proprietary connector that has 0.74mm pins vs. the typical 0.78mm pins on normal 2-pin connectors. UM also recently also picked up for improved durability. On most aftermarket cable manufacturers, it's known as the "UE connector" or the "Extruded connector".
Thanks! I had completely overlooked that UM are using the same connector now. I do quite like that connector, it looks like a great alternative to recessed 2-pin for durability. Another plus for both the UE18+ and Maestro V2!

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #2,789 of 39,414
Much better! I should have done that from te beginning, would have saved a lot of time... and money. Those meds were bloody expensive! Could have had my TOTL already. :yum:

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #2,790 of 39,414
German engineering power
"To give my hair more power!" :sweat_smile:
QwBUqXSkRAed._UX300_TTW_.png

For around 10% the price of Zeus-R ADEL, you could buy Yuin OK1 and get the sound quality as good if not better (with similar weak bass, but larger soundstage, and smoother treble). YMMV. If what you seek is 'affordable better earphone'.
Alas, I have gone beyond the point of saving and the only way forward now is up (in price). :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back