Questyle QP2R
Jul 12, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #136 of 1,225
It all sounds exciting but not much has been disclosed on the UI improvements. I understand the wheel works like it should and that's great but I still feel like the owners of the QP1R haven't been given the deserved customer satisfaction. You mention that the QP1R will still receive the firmware updates, but the last update was in Dec 5th, 2016 (v1.08). Since then we have made a lot of suggestions and there's been no firmware update on the website. I don't want to get into all the issues but out of principle most people may not want to spend more unless the sound improvement is significantly noticecable, this may be a bad gamble by Questyle. ( i am hoping they did their amp magic again) If it is, then great, at some point I'll sell my QP1R to some sucker on ebay and do some more overtime and grab one. Still exciting news, I hope to try it at the London CanJam.

The never solved the battery issue and the firmware support is bad. I think they will never make a new firmware for QPR1. It sounds good - but with this bad support i will definitely never buy their products again.
Also the design of QP2R is based on the QP1R - there is no innovation behind - this is similar comparable to ibasso with DX50 and the successor DX90.
But this should never happen in this price segment. I assume that QP2R will not continue the success of QP1R. The competition on the market is very strong.

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #137 of 1,225
The never solved the battery issue and the firmware support is bad. I think they will never make a new firmware for QPR1. It sounds good - but with this bad support i will definitely never buy their products again.
Also the design of QP2R is based on the QP1R - there is no innovation behind - this is similar comparable to ibasso with DX50 and the successor DX90.
But this should never happen in this price segment. I assume that QP2R will not continue the success of QP1R. The competition on the market is very strong.

I agree. The best strategy was to gain the loyalty of the QP1R owners - that is a very easy task because we are all invested, more willing to follow and perhaps may be the ones to queue up to buy another product, then with the improved UI you add the new features in the QP2R. That way there's a lot of goodwill from the loyal base. But now it feels like they've dissapointed a whole bunch of customers and then trying to build on it by forcing them to buy a more expensive equipment. I wonder who advises them on strategy. I've always felt that this is a bunch of engineers who refuse to pay for any one with a marketing skilset because this all goes contrary to what in my mind is basic marketing principles. Let's watch this space.

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #138 of 1,225
I have no interest in the QP2R. With the QP1R issues, I will look elsewhere for my next DAP.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #140 of 1,225
I agree. The best strategy was to gain the loyalty of the QP1R owners - that is a very easy task because we are all invested, more willing to follow and perhaps may be the ones to queue up to buy another product, then with the improved UI you add the new features in the QP2R. That way there's a lot of goodwill from the loyal base. But now it feels like they've disappointed a whole bunch of customers and then trying to build on it by forcing them to buy a more expensive equipment. I wonder who advises them on strategy. I've always felt that this is a bunch of engineers who refuse to pay for any one with a marketing skilset because this all goes contrary to what in my mind is basic marketing principles. Let's watch this space.

Maybe they are not exactly targeting QP1R customers, since some already expressed an opinion that it doesn't make sense to upgrade. I personally was always curious about QP1R, and constantly hear only praises about this DAP. I do enjoy a well done touch screen interface, and yet I still absolutely love minimalistic UI of PAW Gold where the sound has a higher priority for me. So, maybe not exactly an upgrade for 1R users, but 2R seems to be more competitive now (addition of balanced, and perhaps some sound improvement) and can spark interest of other potential customers who were thinking about 1R, got distracted by other DAPs, and now can revisit it again? It got my interest, for sure.

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #141 of 1,225
Well I concur, I just bought the QP1R second hand and it is pure nightmare in terms of UI and UX. Its wheel is simply useless without bumper or skin and battery dies at indicated 55%.

Wasn't there a 2nd gen 1R with some kind of a wheel improvement? Maybe you got one of the early production models?

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #142 of 1,225
Wasn't there a 2nd gen 1R with some kind of a wheel improvement? Maybe you got one of the early production models?

Yes I got the earlier version. I knew going in, I wasn't getting the revised version. And yes I read all the stories about glitches. Yet, it still shocked me how badly this wheel implemented. Also button response is quite slow giving a bad user experience.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #143 of 1,225
Tried the QP2R at CanJam today.Beautifully finished DAP, scroll wheel works fine and UI seems lot smoother. SQ wise it's a case of one step forward two steps back - for me. Sounds more refined and spacious but lacks the drive and dynamics which sold me on the QP1R in the first place. To be fair was told it sounds better in balanced mode, I listened in single ended mode.On availability was told it should be available in the UK beginning of August.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #144 of 1,225
Tried the QP2R at CanJam today.Beautifully finished DAP, scroll wheel works fine and UI seems lot smoother. SQ wise it's a case of one step forward two steps back - for me. Sounds more refined and spacious but lacks the drive and dynamics which sold me on the QP1R in the first place. To be fair was told it sounds better in balanced mode, I listened in single ended mode.On availability was told it should be available in the UK beginning of August.
Did you try the balanced output?

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #145 of 1,225
No - just used the headphone input. From what the guy on the stand said (I think - I'm not technical!) in order to get the full benefit of all the extra on board amplification it needs to be used in balanced mode with bias mode engaged. I used it in single ended mode with and without bias mode engaged with the above SQ results.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #146 of 1,225
Did you try the balanced output?

Was at CanJam today too & tried the QP2R both single-ended and in balanced (& on high bias). Balanced definitely better than single-ended - which seems a bit subdued next to the QP1R as said above. It's definitely a more refined & spacious sound - actually manages to make the QP1R sound a touch grainy (which it isn't) by comparison. Balanced mode brings not only the improved layering & separation you'd expect, but brings more punch & drama to the party.

I wouldn't think twice about getting one were it not for that 'missing' micro sd slot...

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #147 of 1,225
Was at CanJam today too & tried the QP2R both single-ended and in balanced (& on high bias). Balanced definitely better than single-ended - which seems a bit subdued next to the QP1R as said above. It's definitely a more refined & spacious sound - actually manages to make the QP1R sound a touch grainy (which it isn't) by comparison. Balanced mode brings not only the improved layering & separation you'd expect, but brings more punch & drama to the party.

I wouldn't think twice about getting one were it not for that 'missing' micro sd slot...

How's the comparison between the balanced output of QP2R and signle-ended output of QP1R

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #148 of 1,225
Balanced output definitely seemed more enjoyable during my few weeks with the demo unit - it certainly maximised the potential of my Trinity Hunters and AKT8IE (MK2) compared to single ended output.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #149 of 1,225
How's the comparison between the balanced output of QP2R and singe-ended output of QP1R

Balanced mode QP2R is more spacious, sparkly & detailed than single-ended QP1R, but the full-bodied impact of the 1R is retained. Even layering - which I find the QP1R to be especially good at - is improved. I find the 1R to have quite a focussed, 'blended' soundstage, & the 2R in balanced opens it out considerably.

Basically, the 2R in balanced takes all the good stuff from the 1R & adds a worthwhile polish & extra finesse.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #150 of 1,225
Balanced mode QP2R is more spacious, sparkly & detailed than single-ended QP1R, but the full-bodied impact of the 1R is retained. Even layering - which I find the QP1R to be especially good at - is improved. I find the 1R to have quite a focussed, 'blended' soundstage, & the 2R in balanced opens it out considerably.

Basically, the 2R in balanced takes all the good stuff from the 1R & adds a worthwhile polish & finesse.
Add the much improved UI and scroll wheel to all of the above : my reasons for ordering one !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back