Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
May 31, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #198 of 1,608
I had a chance yesterday to listen to both Rubato and DP-X1A.
I have to admit that this little beast performs very well, not at the level of elder brothers yet but probably much better than any competitor in its price range and form factor.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #199 of 1,608
I had a chance yesterday to listen to both Rubato and DP-X1A.
I have to admit that this little beast performs very well, not at the level of elder brothers yet but propably much better than any competitor in its price range and form factor.
I added a portable amp to it and it scaled.

May 31, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #200 of 1,608
Well, it also has 150 mW per channel in BAL mode as its bigger brothers. Depending on the IEM/phones it can be not enough sometimes and this is where the external amp should help for sure.

May 31, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #201 of 1,608
Well, it also has 150 mW per channel in BAL mode as its bigger brothers. Depending on the IEM/phones it can be not enough sometimes and this is where the external amp should help for sure.
Im using TH900 and Sony Z1.

May 31, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #203 of 1,608
I really have to start saving for this. Is there significant sonic difference between Pioneer XDP-30R and Onkyo Rubato. Pioneer is at least 60EUR cheaper.
That's a question most of us have. It was explained earlier that the Pioneer was voiced for more impact whereas the Onkyo was voiced for greater clarity.

Which is better for you will depend on you. I chose the Onkyo because I liked how its back looked.

May 31, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #204 of 1,608
There was a software update today for the DP-S1 version 1.05/17522AEO. I don't know what was addressed with this update. I checked for gapless playback with Abbey Road and it played back perfectly, at least to my ears. I have only had the DP-S1 for 1 week and I hadn't checked for Gapless before. I thought I had read this was an issue in this forum. When I turned the unit on for the first time there was an initial software update, so I have had two updates in one week. Does anyone know what this update fixed? I love this DAP everything seems to work flawlessly and SQ is great.

May 31, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #207 of 1,608
It's got a real balanced signal no I don't see why not.

I only ask, as I used the X5iii, and actually preferred the sound of the 3.5mm out over that of the 2.5mm out (not the line-out) with both of those amps. I was then told that the X5iii isn't a true Balanced DAP... so, there was always that. I guess the A&K and similar daps that use the 2.5mm Balanced out for (L-. L+, R-, R+) and the 3.5mm for (pin 1 or Shield) on the dual 3 pin XLR are using proper balanced out?

May 31, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #208 of 1,608
That's a question most of us have. It was explained earlier that the Pioneer was voiced for more impact whereas the Onkyo was voiced for greater clarity.

Which is better for you will depend on you. I chose the Onkyo because I liked how its back looked.

Thanks, I guess, I have to get the Pioneer then.

May 31, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #209 of 1,608
Regarding product registration, I'm currently sensing that I'm going to get the runaround from Onkyo. I bought the unit from amazon.com, and am unable to register it on the Canadian or USA websites. Onkyo deferred me to the Japanese website, which I can't complete correctly.

Is product registration and support a concern for anyone else here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back