NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Apr 24, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #2,041 of 2,168
  I know this has probably been discussed many times but any suggestions on a DAC to combo with the Lyr 2 other than the Bifrost Multibit?

​Modi MB, UD-301, Metrum Mussett, MHDT Pagoda, Modi2uber

Might help if you have a sound type that you prefer and also a price range, will help others with suggestions.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #2,042 of 2,168
  I know this has probably been discussed many times but any suggestions on a DAC to combo with the Lyr 2 other than the Bifrost Multibit?

Easy, the whole line of Schiit's DACs. Test them yourself and when going bigger is not an improvement stop.

From my point of view a Modi 2U does a great job with the Lyr 2, not need to go for the Bimby price range. Didn't test the Mimby though.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,043 of 2,168
would modi MB + Lyr 2 pair well with hifiman he400i's when listenin to mainly and only metal genres, using spotify premium. In future im interested in buying the zmf atticus headphones.

Also what tubes would you guys recommend, i keep reading the stock ones arent that good, this would be my 1st tube amp.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2,044 of 2,168
  would modi MB + Lyr 2 pair well with hifiman he400i's when listenin to mainly and only metal genres, using spotify premium. In future im interested in buying the zmf atticus headphones.

Also what tubes would you guys recommend, i keep reading the stock ones arent that good, this would be my 1st tube amp.

I don't know about the modi, but Lyr 2 sounds pretty darn good with he400i. As for tubes I got some NOS Matsuhita tubes from Upscale audio, they're not a world of difference but I do prefer them. They're a tad bassier, but I think this is still a great amp with the stock tubes.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,045 of 2,168
I don't know about the modi, but Lyr 2 sounds pretty darn good with he400i. As for tubes I got some NOS Matsuhita tubes from Upscale audio, they're not a world of difference but I do prefer them. They're a tad bassier, but I think this is still a great amp with the stock tubes.

good to hear!

If i want the tubes to stick out more and also cool better, will this fit the lyr:

https://tubedepot.com/products/9-pin-socket-saver

Think ill order a pair of these while at it too https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/6h23-6922-rocket-logo

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2,046 of 2,168
good to hear!

If i want the tubes to stick out more and also cool better, will this fit the lyr:

Think ill order a pair of these while at it too https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/6h23-6922-rocket-logo
just be careful, noticing that these note that they have driver grade tubes but not input grade. Lyr uses the tubes as an input stage rather than as drivers if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if the grade is an indication of noise and hiss (in which case it may be fine, as Lyr has pretty low noise on low gain) or if it is a question of channel matching. I'm interested to hear your thoughts if you do purchase them. I'm pretty new to tubes myself, but if the number of pins is correct I believe the socket saver should work

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,048 of 2,168
good to hear!

These are the good socket savers (a little pricy but well constructed): http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

I tried some cheaper one that look like the ones in your link and the workmanship was quite bad. I posted a picture of them but since they re-did the site I don't know where to find the pictures anymore.

May 5, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,049 of 2,168
Just got my lyr 2 :)

It was kinda scary how much i had to press down and wiggle the tubes for them to fit good, is this normal? I thought they'd go down more easily.

well they're seated and glowing, all is well :)

The build quality really is something, its so pleasant just to look at it cant listen to it yet coz i dont have correct usb cable for my modi, waiting for friend to deliver. :p

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2,050 of 2,168
Just got my lyr 2 :)

It was kinda scary how much i had to press down and wiggle the tubes for them to fit good, is this normal? I thought they'd go down more easily.

well they're seated and glowing, all is well :)

The build quality really is something, its so pleasant just to look at it cant listen to it yet coz i dont have correct usb cable for my modi, waiting for friend to deliver. :p

Another recommendation is to get some Deoxit for cleaning the pins of the tubes which will also provide some lubrication so removal and insertion of the tubes will be a little easier.

May 6, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #2,052 of 2,168
There is so many Liquid Carbon on sell. Can someone please give details about how it compares with a Schitt Lyr2 with LISST tubes? Solid state versus solid state. Cause if the Liquid Carbon is a huge upgrade over the Lyr2 I might be interested. Otherwise I will perhaps just wait for a mjolnir or other higher end amp.

May 6, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,053 of 2,168
There is so many Liquid Carbon on sell. Can someone please give details about how it compares with a Schitt Lyr2 with LISST tubes? Solid state versus solid state. Cause if the Liquid Carbon is a huge upgrade over the Lyr2 I might be interested. Otherwise I will perhaps just wait for a mjolnir or other higher end amp.

If you are thinking of using the LISST in the Lyr2 then I think the Jot would be a better choice as a SS amp.

The Liquid Carbon is slightly warmer than the Lyr2 with stock tubes but it also depends on the headphones that you will with using, as for being a "huge upgrade" that depends on the individual, to me its a different sound signature and not an upgrade.

May 6, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2,054 of 2,168
If you are thinking of using the LISST in the Lyr2 then I think the Jot would be a better choice as a SS amp.

The Liquid Carbon is slightly warmer than the Lyr2 with stock tubes but it also depends on the headphones that you will with using, as for being a "huge upgrade" that depends on the individual, to me its a different sound signature and not an upgrade.

Warm as in less fatiguing in the upper region?
The Lyr2 is fatiguing with the stock tubes (I think it's consensual) but it has good amount of bass though. Bright can be a good thing, but in this case there seem to have a problem in the tonal balance that bothered everyone.

So the Liquid Carbon, just to be clear, is warm... how exactly? Tonaly innofensive, relaxing, good bass, softened treble?

I will try the LISST tubes next week. I am trying to improve the slam and crunch and excitement in my sound. I use LCD2.2F schitt lyr2 and Bifrost MB.

May 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #2,055 of 2,168
Warm as in less fatiguing in the upper region?
The Lyr2 is fatiguing with the stock tubes (I think it's consensual) but it has good amount of bass though. Bright can be a good thing, but in this case there seem to have a problem in the tonal balance that bothered everyone.

So the Liquid Carbon, just to be clear, is warm... how exactly? Tonaly innofensive, relaxing, good bass, softened treble?

I will try the LISST tubes next week. I am trying to improve the slam and crunch and excitement in my sound. I use LCD2.2F schitt lyr2 and Bifrost MB.

While I only heard the LISST tubes once and for a very short period it was detailed but the highs did have a bit of etched tone to me on a HD800, HE560 and T1, I didn't try my LCD-2f with them. I usually use either a Project Ember or the headphone output of my UD301 with my LCD-2f these days, either of these amps seem to pair a little better than the Lyr2 since the bass is a bit more forward and the highs are not harsh. FWIW the tubes that I like as good over all are Telefunken CCa's, 74 / 75 Reflektors, Siemens CCa's, and Amperex PQ

The Liquid Carbon is a warm/neutral amp to me since it pairs well with the HD800 and HE560, 2 headphones that can be bright at times, compared to the Lyr2 with Telefunken CCa's the LC has less forward highs making the HD800 and HE560 less bright, bass is fuller but doesn't seem to go was low compared to the Lyr2. I don't consider the Liquid Carbon a upgrade, just different sound signature. One of the amps that I liked with my LCD-2f is the Teac HA-501, a versatile amp like the Ember since you can change the output resistance/impedance to better match your headphones.

The other thing to consider is the DAC, the Bimby is good but the UD-301 has better dynamics and treble extension to me and it has balanced output to go with the Liquid Carbon or HA-501.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back