9934981.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7796.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #35,437 of 65,565
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #35,440 of 65,565
First let me say I much preferred the old site.. so much so that I think I will be posting less and less on the forums. :cry: But anyway..

In regards to the spirit labs twin pulse headphone:

Yes it is two Grado drivers in each earcup which is probably the first time anyone has ever done that. I was actually pretty surprised that would even work.. the fact that they did that along with the cool looking design itself made me want to buy a pair. I haven't heard anyone really talking about spirit labs and I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing. I don't think they are popular here in America, but maybe in Italy (where they're built) or other parts of Europe they are more distinguished.

So I have been listening for about two days now and man oh man I cannot put them down. First off, they definitely have more bass by far than any Grado headphone out there - at least that I have heard. They aren't vibrating my eyeballs, but it is a pretty prominent presence, especially compared side to side to my Grados. The mids seem slightly scooped but still enjoyable and almost has this dry sound to it. The highs are typical signature Grado, if not even more sparkly. By reading this you can probably tell they lean towards a V shaped sound and you are definitely right! This makes them the most "fun" sounding of all my headphones by far. (but something that can be tiring)

Personally I think the obvious elements with these are these three things.. wide soundstage, big bass presence and sparkly/accentuated treble. I didn't mention the soundstage until now, but one word to describe it would definitely be WIDE. I haven't yet put it side by side to my 800S, which I am sure the 800S probably still has the bigger soundstage.. but at the very least I think the twin pulse sounds quite natural and not artificially large in its soundstage. Great imaging too.

I mentioned the big bass, but I didn't comment on quality. The quality itself of the bass is good too. I think around 75 to 175 hertz it is just glaringly obvious that these can pack a punch. The quality itself in the bass department seems about a 6.8/10 where as a 10 is perfect. Don't expect basshead level bass without EQ, but again.. compared to all other Grado headphones it completely has about 5 levels above them in quantity.

Before I get ahead of myself and write a full on review.. I better stop now before I end up sitting here too long and giving you guys a book to read lol Not to mention it has only been two days so who knows how they will sound, both subjectively and after the diaphragms burn in and loosens up a tad. But yea.. all I can say right now is - V shaped fun signature with respectable soundstage and pretty decent bass quality with a lot of quantity.

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #35,441 of 65,565
The owner of Spirit Labs is an Italian sound engineer who lives just outside Italy's Motown, Torino. He is extremely competent and VERY particular with his work. Unfortunately, he is not fluent in English, and neither are the people who work for him. I've had quite a good interaction with him so far as I speak fluent Italian (my Mom's from Milan), but I haven't met him in person yet. I will most likely next week, as I'm going to be in Milan and I plan to go and check out his production line, which is mostly Grado or Beyer based, with major mods. You can check out his stuff here, as long as you don't mind the English, as I said before: www.spiritlabsheadphones.com

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #35,443 of 65,565
Yea I have heard the PS1000 and love it. It actually reminds me of a more musical version of the P1000. More bass and more treble and overall more fun sounding, at the cost of being more fatiguing. I think if you love the P1000 then you will most likely love the twin pulse - ESPECIALLY if paired with a tube amp I imagine. I can't stop choosing it over the others when I go to listen to music haha Some of that is new toy syndrome though. I think they did a super great job with this one.

Oh and it just dawned on me that thats also another reason they aren't popular here.. the owner and staff do not speak English haha Luckily I used Etsy for my communication and purchase which has a built in translator and I definitely recommend using the Etsy website if you want to buy any of his products as it auto translates to your native language and does a pretty good job as well.

Overall I feel like the price to performance ratio is out of this world for the twin pulse. I encourage anyone who likes a fun sound and like the idea of a PS1000 on crack to give them a try. If you do plan to buy one I would be very interested in your thoughts so keep us all in the loop! I will post a more informative review once I break these in and do some more listening. I really want to try these with tubes. The owner told me they aren't even close to their full potential until they've had about 30 hours on them. I suppose having 4 speakers instead of two to loosen up would make even more of a difference. So far these are super cool though!

May 1, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #35,444 of 65,565
Bah! this damn site is not letting me "like" or "quote" any posts again! :angry:

Anywho, @Dillan that does sound like something I would enjoy! I demoed the iFi micro idsd BL which had a treble booster and bass booster (i forgot what ifi call these switches). I actually did like listening to the PS1000 with both of these switches engaged which made the ps1k even more airier and expanded the soundstage and the bass booster is also very well done imo, fun sounding indeed! :thumsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back