Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
May 17, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #4,158 of 4,487
If I run the T90 through the LG V20, will that be sufficient for the headphone?

Negative. Minimum amplification for T90 is at least a Matrix M-Stage amplifier. Out of a phone, it will be quiet, even at max volume. A portable amp will make it louder and more usable, but high-impedance headphones need bigger voltage swing for best sound, otherwise cheaper, more efficient headphones will sound better. Desktop gear is the way to go for T90.
For portable music sources like smart phones, it is best to go with one of the many low-impedance headphones like the Sennheiser HD598 or Beyerdynamic DT660.

The V20 actually has a pretty decent DAC/AMP combo (rated up to 300 ohms), drives my T90s just fine at about 75% vol, though I will say it ends up sounding a bit bright depending on what you're listening to. With an EQ I'd say it's comparable if not better than an Aune T1 1st gen.
Unfortunately I'm still saving up for a bottlehead crack so I don't have any higher power amps to really compare. :<

Anyone get a chance to listen to the Amiron Home? My gear itch is making me contemplate selling the T90s and jumping ship to either those or the 1990s

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,160 of 4,487
We talking the T90s or T1's?

I have both...the clamping force on mine is really very "light" to me...the T1's are heavier and much more noticeable to me than the T90's
I listened this am with a new amp with the T1's and then switched to the T90's and the T90s were like not even there compared to the T'1s

Alex

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #4,162 of 4,487
Has anyone found a way to reduce the clamping force of this headphone?
The headband is steel, so bend it outward more than what you usually do to put it on your head for a moment. Then let it return to normal. Then check the fit. Then bend it again but just a tad more than before. Then let it return to normal. Continue to repeat until it is as loose as you want, you cannot break the headband this way.

It's the same procedure for all Tesla Beyers + DT770, DT880, & DT990.

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #4,163 of 4,487
Is there any hybrid pads for the T90s? Last time I bought hifi hybrids they were glued together and glued to the plastic adapter. Absolute chinese trash. I enjoy the t90's with stock pads but there is times I want to boost the bass a little without using hardware/software.

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #4,164 of 4,487
You could try taping up the holes on the inner sides of the earpads, but not all of them. Only the "bottom" half or third or so. It is the bottom part of your outer ears that pick up bass, is why.

11.jpg

I've seen head-fiers tape up all of the holes completely, if you really want to try that much. I haven't tried it myself, but I figure it is probably too much and will mar the mids and treble quality and clarity, hence I recommend leaving some open.

How the ear picks up sound even continues to hold true with on-ear headphones, in my experience, even though parts of the outer ears end up getting practically omitted in the "audio chain" going towards our eardrums.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #4,165 of 4,487
You could try taping up the holes on the inner sides of the earpads, but not all of them. Only the "bottom" half or third or so. It is the bottom part of your outer ears that pick up bass, is why.

11.jpg

I've seen head-fiers tape up all of the holes completely, if you really want to try that much. I haven't tried it myself, but I figure it is probably too much and will mar the mids and treble quality and clarity, hence I recommend leaving some open.

How the ear picks up sound even continues to hold true with on-ear headphones, in my experience, even though parts of the outer ears end up getting practically omitted in the "audio chain" going towards our eardrums.
So I decided to go with some Th900 pads. Raised the sound stage and bass. I lost some clarity in the mid range. not sure how I feel about the change.

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,166 of 4,487

11.jpg

Great tip - thank you.

Just gave it a try; taped up the bottom half. A nice bass boost while retaining the mid clarity and high frequencies. Great stuff!

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #4,167 of 4,487
Check out the Little Dot tube amps, I have a MK III which works great with my Beyerdynamic headphones, as well as my Senny 600/650. Just prepare yourself for the inevitable tube rolling addiction that comes with it. With mine, I have settled on using Mullards for my driver tubes, sound awesome with a bit warmer, more lush tone, great for the T90's, have yet to try it with my pair of Amiron Home cans, been rocking the iCan Pro exclusively lately.

How does Amiron compare to T90? I am currently using a 250 Ohm DT880 with a HRT Music Streamer II and Magni 2. I ordered a Modi Multibit and Valhalla 2 this week and was planning to get an Amiron. However, I stumbled upon this thread and reading the heaps of positive impressions regarding soundstage, imaging and resolution I am kind of convinced T90 might do the trick considering that it is also much cheaper. I mainly listen to classical music, jazz and prog rock. Did you also have a chance to listen to HD800? Is it worth the extra cost?

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #4,168 of 4,487
I have the T90 and the T1 2nd Gen...

Not having the amiron I cant speculate there...but

I have the Bifrost MB with Gen 5 USB and a Vahalla 2 with the T90s its a excellent pairing....very clean, articulate etc..
The big difference with the higher cost T1's and I suspect other up the scale cans is you will notice more body and the music
is more like, music...more overall body etc....The T90s were my favorite for years...the T1's have taken over just because I like the sound better....and I listen to much of the same stuff as you...

Good luck!
Alex

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #4,169 of 4,487
I have the T90 and the T1 2nd Gen...

Not having the amiron I cant speculate there...but

I have the Bifrost MB with Gen 5 USB and a Vahalla 2 with the T90s its a excellent pairing....very clean, articulate etc..
The big difference with the higher cost T1's and I suspect other up the scale cans is you will notice more body and the music
is more like, music...more overall body etc....The T90s were my favorite for years...the T1's have taken over just because I like the sound better....and I listen to much of the same stuff as you...

Good luck!
Alex
Thanks a lot Alex. Unfortunately T1 2nd gen and HD800 seem a little too costly for me at the moment. I like what I am reading about T1 1st gen too but I understand that it is pretty picky regarding amping and you have to be careful about serial numbers too since there were a lot of revisions. I think T90 seems to be the logical choice. I am not irritated by DT880's treble at all so maybe I am not really sensitive to sibilance which eliminates the most commonly discussed negative trait of T90.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #4,170 of 4,487
You will really enjoy the T90's......they will expose music for what it is....good stuff will be awesome, the lousy stuff will be really lousy!

The T90s at 250 ohms are easily driven by a number of modern amps....I have used many and have 9 head amps here and they all drive the T90s loud
enough to cause hearing loss!

Good luck!
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back