ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Apr 4, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #1,021 of 1,084

lol yup thats hiss :D it power my alpha dog very well and the bass boost is a nice feature...I currently using my modded JDS C5D as a Dac connect to my B+ connect to the alpha...sound really good.

Ha. Well, if that's hiss it's hiss, I guess, but it's hard to even be sure it's there until you turn off the unit. :)

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,023 of 1,084
I don't get the blue LED any longer when the unit is running. That's a defect, right? 
Still get green upon charging. 

Also, man, the B+ drives my Alpha Primes like crazy!!

I was thinking about getting a Cavalli Carbon as an at-home solution when it comes out, but I'm not so sure it's necessary....

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,024 of 1,084
I don't get the blue LED any longer when the unit is running. That's a defect, right? 
Still get green upon charging. 

Also, man, the B+ drives my Alpha Primes like crazy!!

I was thinking about getting a Cavalli Carbon as an at-home solution when it comes out, but I'm not so sure it's necessary....

Yea mine is blue when running

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #1,028 of 1,084
B+ adds:

1. Lower noise floor with highly sensitive IEMs. Still too much hiss for my SE846 though. I can still hear it with some music tracks.
  2. Longer batter life by several hours. But the B never had a problem with long battery life to begin with.
  3. More linear volume control and channel balance for highly sensitive IEMs.

If you plan to use for full size cans and don't care about the longer battery life, then basically no difference between B and B+. Some claim the sound is more refined with the B+, but that is highly subjective and depends on the rest of your components.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,029 of 1,084
Eh I think B or B+ they are great amplifiers definitely one of the best that I have ever used. You know it's the best when it becomes so expensive to manufacturer that the company has to stop making it.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #1,030 of 1,084
  B+ adds:

1. Lower noise floor with highly sensitive IEMs. Still too much hiss for my SE846 though. I can still hear it with some music tracks.
  2. Longer batter life by several hours. But the B never had a problem with long battery life to begin with.
  3. More linear volume control and channel balance for highly sensitive IEMs.

If you plan to use for full size cans and don't care about the longer battery life, then basically no difference between B and B+. Some claim the sound is more refined with the B+, but that is highly subjective and depends on the rest of your components.

I use an impedance adaptor with my westone W60 and the hiss is gone :D

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #1,031 of 1,084
Thank you. I own the duet but I will probably sell it to try something else. I was interested by the b+ bht I chose the duet. Now I may have an opportunity to buy a b, and since I will not use it with IEMs it will do the job

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #1,032 of 1,084
Thank you. I own the duet but I will probably sell it to try something else. I was interested by the b+ bht I chose the duet. Now I may have an opportunity to buy a b, and since I will not use it with IEMs it will do the job

I'm not sure you are going to hear much difference with Duet and RX B given the history with ALO and CL. If you really want to try another premium portable amp with a different sound profile, look into RSA SR-71B if you want both SE and BO options.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,033 of 1,084

What will you use the amp for? I have the rx and thought the duet was better with iem's due to the lower noise floor. Better if you could try it first.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #1,034 of 1,084
I canceled yesterday for the alo.
I am just curious and I tried a lot of things. But this time I will pass on the b version. I already owned a SR71-B and its level is well below the Duet for me, not mentionning it cost me a lot to sent it back to Ray to fix an issue he did not.
To answer all questions, my headphones are : ultrasone signature pro, Victor DX700 (maple cups and custom cable), Noble 4. These are the ones I chose to keep.

May 20, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #1,035 of 1,084
to my ear B+ is an improvement over the previous version.

Compare side by side it has a bit bigger dynamics, sound stage , a bit better separation and more refined.
The bass is more defined and it hits lower.

I am letting it go on F/S classified

Users who are viewing this thread

Back