ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Mar 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #991 of 1,084
Mk3 "hiss" with IEMs, one of the reasons why we made the all new Rx IEM amp we just released was to work in a more targeted product for earphones. The Mk3 was intended for larger headphones and many people were put off with the higher noise floor of the Mk3.

Glad you are liking the amp!

Thank you

Ken

Ken - here's a funny but maybe serious idea.

How about a version of the new Rx than can be internally bridged to mono. Then people could buy 2x of those to run BO lol. Not sure how volume control would work, but the setup would look pretty darn cool especially if you offered up a red or black aluminum enclosure.

I have to admit, I love seeing these little mini stacks and being reminded of how big desktop components are.

Actually if you used an Arduino micro controller for volume you could easily link two and have them communicate bidirectionally to have either dial control volume for both :)

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #992 of 1,084
  Just got my RX MK3B+ today from the warehouse sale and it looks 100% new. Very nice box and I was really surprised by how heavy the amp is, but in a good way. Pretty pleased with the sound so far and the bass control is really making this work for me. In case folks are wondering, this does not do well with Shure SE846. Soundwise, it's great, but there is a decent level of hiss that you can hear on low volume passages in music. On a plane, you probably won't notice. I expected this at purchase and never planned to pair the two but did it just to see. I tried a 22 Ohm impedance adapter and that got rid of 100% of the hiss so I think you want 16 ohm or higher IEMs for this amp. Just a great deal on a TOTL portable amp!

mine came today too but I was at work :frowning2: damn you work!

I got a 100ohms adapter, I hope it doesnt change the sound too much.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #993 of 1,084

mine came today too but I was at work :frowning2: damn you work!

I got a 100ohms adapter, I hope it doesnt change the sound too much.

One word of caution - this thing packs some serious power. You probably will need to go to mid gain with the 100 ohm adapter but turn the volume down low before you do.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #995 of 1,084
Yep, same as my AK240. I'm sure it's normal.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #996 of 1,084
But no excessive heat, even when stacked with my CLAS db....

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #998 of 1,084
another questions, How do you guys mitigate EMI from your cellphone?

p.s I cant believe this is still a problem for Alo amp, I had these in RX mk2 but I wouldnt expect it out of this amp.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #999 of 1,084
Other than getting a very good quality and shielded mini stereo cable, it's up to your cellphone's noise performance. I pretty much gave up on smartphone as a DAP.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #1,001 of 1,084

my JDS C5D have no EMI issue at all, I say this is pretty poor quality for a 650 amp.

I would talk to someone at ALO. Since C5D charges from USB and ALO charges from a wall plug, you may be dealing with a ground loop issue instead of EMI.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #1,003 of 1,084
You are right. Tried the ALO on my iPhone and I can hear some clicking when data is turned on. If I don't place the phone right on the amp, then EMI goes away. I experienced this to a lesser extent with a JDS C5 and had to place it upside down on the back of my phone.

Update - Just tried the same on the ALO and if I place the back of the phone squarely on the underside (non logo) of the amp and slight towards the back of the amp, then EMI goes away. See if that helps. I've struggled with various EMI issues with my phone so I just went DAP.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #1,004 of 1,084

Update - Just tried the same on the ALO and if I place the back of the phone squarely on the underside (non logo) of the amp and slight towards the back of the amp, then EMI goes away. See if that helps. I've struggled with various EMI issues with my phone so I just went DAP.

thanks I'll try it. Its a shame, the amp sound really good.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #1,005 of 1,084

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/family?channel=products&chanName=family&key=hozex
http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=112337168
http://www.mouser.com/new/molex/molex-hozox-emi/

Maybe HOZOX could work? No reviews were posted for absorbing EMI yet but that could be worth a try.

Similar stuff from 3M

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Electronics_NA/Electronics/Products/Product_Catalog/~?N=7234470&rt=c3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back