ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Mar 24, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #976 of 1,084
Long live this amp, I'm using the balanced output all the time, as powerful as most mid-fi desktops, this is not an IEM amp, it's a powerful over the head HP amp.

If there is a better HD800 portable amp out there please chime in.

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #977 of 1,084
  Hey Guys,

The Mk3 B+ has been a huge success for us and we are very proud of the amp, however we wanted to make room for a new era of portables from ALO audio. I cant tell you how incredibly hard we have been working for a long time now to bring some new creations to life. The Mk3 B + is very expensive to produce and so it had reached its life cycle for the amp it is.

The good news is we do have some last units still available and and for sale at our new "Warehouse Deals" website. Warehouse Deals is basically many remnants from our old brick and mortar retail store, refurbished items, discounted and discontinued items all rolled into a new outlet of sorts. So its a spring cleaning site, PLEASE ACT fast as the items on Warehouse Deals is VERY limited and once gone, gone forever.

Please check it out

Thank you!

Ken @ ALO audio

Ken, are there warranty with Warehouse deal?

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #978 of 1,084

Ken, are there warranty with Warehouse deal?

Their refund policy states "As is" so no warranty. However, if the item is DOA, then you can return it (unless it was clearly stated to be non functioning in the description).

On a related note to ALO, what's the possibility of repair services for end of life amps? Do you guys have spare parts stored somewhere?

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #979 of 1,084

Their refund policy states "As is" so no warranty. However, if the item is DOA, then you can return it (unless it was clearly stated to be non functioning in the description).

On a related note to ALO, what's the possibility of repair services for end of life amps? Do you guys have spare parts stored somewhere?

Hi! yes we do have some parts such as batteries and some surface mount items, we will try and do some repair service to a point as best as we can. Some items its a easy fix while others its easier to just replace the board.

Thanks

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 25, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #980 of 1,084
Hi! yes we do have some parts such as batteries and some surface mount items, we will try and do some repair service to a point as best as we can. Some items its a easy fix while others its easier to just replace the board.

Thanks

ken

Ken what about something like the volume attentuator ? Mine failed on the MK 2 and technician at the time says they can't fix it. Really hate to spend so much money on a product that lasted 2 years and the company can't even repair it.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #981 of 1,084
Ken what about something like the volume attentuator ? Mine failed on the MK 2 and technician at the time says they can't fix it. Really hate to spend so much money on a product that lasted 2 years and the company can't even repair it.

HI Law87

Sadly, the digital volume controller we used in the Rx2 is no longer being made, the Rx2 is a good 5 years old. Moving forward we are trying to source more standard parts and we hope to have longer product life as a result.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #983 of 1,084
  are batteries user replaceable for the mk3?

HI Mooses9.

The battery is "plug able" yes, however take care to remove the PCB as it can be a tight fit, small bit of VHB tape is used to secure the battery and there is a small grounding clip that you have be be careful not to snap off. Send it in and we can install it, comes with the price of the battery replacement.

Thanks

Ken

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #985 of 1,084
...you're allowed to say which you prefer :tongue_smile:

The Intruder is pretty much as powerful as RX3 in single ended but in balance mode it sounds more powerful than Rx. Intruder sounds a bit more Natural and has a nice fat bottom end where Rx sounds a bit richer with punchier bass.

Intruder has more relaxing quality and Rx is a bit edgier.

This is what I LOVE:
In balance out on low gain, Intruder sounds absolutely Amazing like a true desktop quality driving my LCD2 and HD650. Bigger and fuller sound stage than Rx. This set ups really amplify the details, depth and separation of the music.

There I said it.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #986 of 1,084
Ken or anyone know if an AK240 and RXMKIII will fit together in the Black Star amp wallet? I hope so since the angled shape of the AK240 makes silicon band placement very challenging.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #987 of 1,084
The Intruder is pretty much as powerful as RX3 in single ended but in balance mode it sounds more powerful than Rx. Intruder sounds a bit more Natural and has a nice fat bottom end where Rx sounds a bit richer with punchier bass.

Intruder has more relaxing quality and Rx is a bit edgier.

This is what I LOVE:
In balance out on low gain, Intruder sounds absolutely Amazing like a true desktop quality driving my LCD2 and HD650. Bigger and fuller sound stage than Rx. This set ups really amplify the details, depth and separation of the music.

There I said it.

triportsad.gif
.......i had the intruder i loved it, but i must say i love owning the mk3b too imo you need change, to me nothing is better just different. just my opinion.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #988 of 1,084
  Ken or anyone know if an AK240 and RXMKIII will fit together in the Black Star amp wallet? I hope so since the angled shape of the AK240 makes silicon band placement very challenging.

Yes fits ok.

Ken.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #989 of 1,084
Just got my RX MK3B+ today from the warehouse sale and it looks 100% new. Very nice box and I was really surprised by how heavy the amp is, but in a good way. Pretty pleased with the sound so far and the bass control is really making this work for me. In case folks are wondering, this does not do well with Shure SE846. Soundwise, it's great, but there is a decent level of hiss that you can hear on low volume passages in music. On a plane, you probably won't notice. I expected this at purchase and never planned to pair the two but did it just to see. I tried a 22 Ohm impedance adapter and that got rid of 100% of the hiss so I think you want 16 ohm or higher IEMs for this amp. Just a great deal on a TOTL portable amp!

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #990 of 1,084
Just got my RX MK3B+ today from the warehouse sale and it looks 100% new. Very nice box and I was really surprised by how heavy the amp is, but in a good way. Pretty pleased with the sound so far and the bass control is really making this work for me. In case folks are wondering, this does not do well with Shure SE846. Soundwise, it's great, but there is a decent level of hiss that you can hear on low volume passages in music. On a plane, you probably won't notice. I expected this at purchase and never planned to pair the two but did it just to see. I tried a 22 Ohm impedance adapter and that got rid of 100% of the hiss so I think you want 16 ohm or higher IEMs for this amp. Just a great deal on a TOTL portable amp!

Mk3 "hiss" with IEMs, one of the reasons why we made the all new Rx IEM amp we just released was to work in a more targeted product for earphones. The Mk3 was intended for larger headphones and many people were put off with the higher noise floor of the Mk3.

Glad you are liking the amp!

Thank you

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back