$500 iem vs $500 headphones?
Jul 5, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #76 of 83
  IEM's for me.  But I think it's more appropriate to say that they're just different.  IEM's just have this "intimate" sound that full headphones can't match.  Maybe depends the music you listen to.  I listen to a lot of vocal-centric music, so the feeling I get when it sounds like the artist is actually right there singing next to me made the decision for me.  However, in instances when I listen to metal, full headphones hands down win.  The imaging and soundstage make that kind of music.  So just depends the music you listen to.

Also, the portability.  And the physical feeling.  When I wear full-sized headphone I feel like I have a helmet on.  IEM's just disappear.

My audio journey:  CX 300 --> CX 985 --> Over-ear Momentum --> V-moda XS --> SE846

I went up and then came back down (with full force) once I realized that IEM's are the headphones for me :)

So the SE846 just sounds better than the Vmoda XS headphone? that's why you went back to IEM? or?

Im on the same boat, right now im trying to decide if i should stick to my $700 iem , or just a decent $200 headphone :frowning2: it's so hard

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #77 of 83

So the SE846 just sounds better than the Vmoda XS headphone? that's why you went back to IEM? or?

Im on the same boat, right now im trying to decide if i should stick to my $700 iem , or just a decent $200 headphone :frowning2: it's so hard

Again, it's all personal preference. I could take a $100 IEM over a $200-300 headphone any day. It all depends on the context in which I'm using them in.

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #78 of 83

The biggest secret I've found, though, is this: don't switch frequently between systems. Get used to whichever one you've landed on. The brain is an amazing thing, and contours your experience of what you hear around whatever spectrum balance and so on you're listening to. The minute you switch, there's a difference which will always be initially discernible; it will sound "worse" or "better" based on what you're expecting, whether you want more bass, impact, soundstage, air, whatever. Every unit I've ever heard sounds horrible coming from the last one I listened to, at some level. :)

Hope that helps!

Old but gold, this post speaks the truth about a lot of stuff in audio memory. Thank you,

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #79 of 83
I have yet to hear an earphone at the W4 level that beats any similarly priced headphone. However the caveat is that one has to spend more on gear with headphones that earphones. You have have a W4 and your phone or dap and be on your way. With headphones you need a source, dac and amp which can easily go to double and beyond the price of that W4, SE535, etc.
I see this argument a lot. Why would you buy SE535 to connect to a phone or laptop....

When it comes to IEM / Headphone I see so much talk about headphone amplifier and so little about DAC. And people say, "its great, with IEM you need nothing else".

In my opinion, in a iem / headphone setup, same as in a full size setup, the DAC has much bigger impact than the power amp. And while you don't need amp (you might need volume attenuator) with IEM, you certainly need a DAC.

My recommendation for money spend is 2 to 1. (my DAC 1300 usd (yulong DA8 II), my power amplifier 700usd (Chinese unknow local brand), my headphone amp 150 usd (topping L30))

If the sound is not good to start with, it's pointless to amplify it well (amp) or to reproduce it well (iem / headphone / speaker)

May 5, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #80 of 83
May 5, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #81 of 83
I see this argument a lot. Why would you buy SE535 to connect to a phone or laptop....

When it comes to IEM / Headphone I see so much talk about headphone amplifier and so little about DAC. And people say, "its great, with IEM you need nothing else".

In my opinion, in a iem / headphone setup, same as in a full size setup, the DAC has much bigger impact than the power amp. And while you don't need amp (you might need volume attenuator) with IEM, you certainly need a DAC.

My recommendation for money spend is 2 to 1. (my DAC 1300 usd (yulong DA8 II), my power amplifier 700usd (Chinese unknow local brand), my headphone amp 150 usd (topping L30))

If the sound is not good to start with, it's pointless to amplify it well (amp) or to reproduce it well (iem / headphone / speaker)
Totally agree with your assessment on the dac. Amp is just going to amp whatever is fed into it. If the dac is crap, its going to amplifly crap.

I think if ultimate resolution and microdetail is your preference, iems offer alot more for your money at the lower levels but at the top end I think really good headphones can produce similar levels of resolution and microdetail along with everything else. Highest level of iem I've heard is the Thieaudio monarch mk2. I've been fortunate enough to demo some of the popular high end headphones like the Stellia, Utopia, Rognir, Verite Closed, Senn 800s, audeze lcd-xc, dan clark stealth at canjam.

May 5, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #82 of 83
Jan 5, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #83 of 83
I'm kinda stuck in the same boat.
Both my Xenns tea2 and Sundaras costed the same, and they are completly different as one would expected. Love the details on both, for female vocals my Xenns are very good, mid ange is quite my taste. Sundaras in the other hand offer that stage, clarity and naturalness in which for some genres works perfectly.

My problem is now to upgrade, I already established a max of 600/700 euros.
I'm considering for IEM the Thieaudio Oracle MK2 and for Headphones probably Hifiman XS or Meze 109 pro (little to expensive).
Going for an high impedance headphone would have me to update my amp. Currently rocking a DX3pro+. I also want to get a balance or tube amp.

I honestly want something different.
What do you guys think/ recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back