ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Aug 13, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #46 of 1,522
How does it compare with HE560? Which one would u keep?

Read next quote.
The vibro is a closed can that competes with top closed cans like AlphaDogs and even my fostex th600 which is not a full closed can..

While the he560 is open and competes with the he6 & lcdx.

I think this hp has more height in soundstage than my 560. Its less wide but overall more deep and tall though less open and detailed.

I agree. .
They have a clear deep soundstage which I feel is a much more satisfying signature over any other version of can that uses these drivers..
This vibro seems to extract the life of the music without sounding artificial or flat.
Resolution does not reach end game status or top teir headphones like he560 but the vibro is easily in the top for closed cans..
Also isolation is impressive.
Cannot hear a thing from the outside if someone is wearing them.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #47 of 1,522
HONESTLY

THIS... I am not saying this is better. The 560 is better technically. But the Vibro is clear and It gets right to my music and doesnt play around. 

My homie just released an album and I tried to play it first with the he560 but I kept the Vibro on. 

Irrespective of sensitivity or whatever anyone says about how easy are requirements are for th e 560,
I know first hand that they mimic the he6 when it comes to desiring more power to sound more impressive.
I compared them in an he6 setup on speaker taps,
And to my ears that and a grill mod is what you need to make them sound their best.
Otherwise it seems recording dependant on how much they amaze, rather than just sound great.

While on the other hand, the vibro just sings constantly and is a great closed can solution.

To me all planar/ortho type drivers are clearly a level above most typical normal drivers found on most cans, excluding only the hd800 "ring" driver .
I remember reading the wave pattern and lower distortion parameters are superior in planars

After this level nowhere to go but Stax or Koss electrostatics , and that is an investment that I choose not to do :p

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #48 of 1,522
Fwiw I would prob pick the he6 over the vibro when tuning down the highs of the 6 but im not going to try to amp it any time soon its a little bit of a task to amp the he6 properly and if I do so again I will miss out on amping the vibro right.

Also I have to say it depends on the song for me. The he560 will take some songs easily but the vibro can do all songs. I default to full mids though and i dont find the 560 mids to be sweet enough. After my balanced cables arrive for the 560 then it may change the whole story.

Also my impressions are a bit different than the first page but I never updated the first post. After sending my pair in for the last time(first pair i broke and the second pair was tuned a little brighter) i will update my review with a summary of my experience soon.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #49 of 1,522

Also my impressions are a bit different than the first page but I never updated the first post. After sending my pair in for the last time(first pair i broke and the second pair was tuned a little brighter) i will update my review with a summary of my experience soon.

Did those versions have a front modification that you see under pad felt?
I would assume my version is latest but unknown if any further tweaks would be done.

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #50 of 1,522

Did those versions have a front modification that you see under pad felt?
I would assume my version is latest but unknown if any further tweaks would be done.

No yours will have a slightly different tuning than mine. I emailed zach and he mentioned the "final tuning" and there will be no further changes. I am not sure if you have that. I do believe that yours may be neutral or slightly boosted in the highs without that peak like mine has.

Thats the thing about mods. They have revisions, well pretty much all companies do besides senn, akg, sony who make other things besides hp's. Zach was extremely kind enough to update mine to this tuning cost free. The v1 and v2 had no revisions I am aware of though besides new pads.

I have even heard of him making one guys v1 brighter upon request. I dont imagine that will always be that way once these things catch wind and I have already seen a lot more folks buying the vibro. They should report back here so get more impressions.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #51 of 1,522
Ok thanks I have not noticed any peak and they were made last week so but I am totally fine with my version :wink:

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #52 of 1,522
  Very interesting headphone.
How does it compare to the Mad Dog 3.2?

I'm looking for an upgrade of my Mad Dog 3.2 and these ZMF x Vibro interests me a lot. I know that is better in term of soundstage and imaging but simply in term of sound ? it is the same warm/smooth sound than the Mad Dog or a bit brighter ?

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #54 of 1,522
Well he answered pretty much all the questions I had concerning the wood on the Vibros (and wood in general).

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #55 of 1,522
i know this has been maybe answered how does it compare to mad dog 3.2 or mad dog pro

is the zmg x vibro an upgrade from mad dog pro

does have warm sound, and does it have more bass than mad dog

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #56 of 1,522
Its definitely an upgrade from the pro. My first pair was definitely stronger in the bass than the pro and any t50 modd..but now the final tuning, its a little more balanced yet still has a slight bass boost, and I also cannot confirm that until I get them back. I am sure you can ask for your pair to be slightly more bassy and see what he says. When my pair comes back since I asked for a pittle bit more bass I am sure it will be. As it is now the zxv has a little more bass than the AD but on some songs wont hit as hard because its less tight.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #57 of 1,522
why did they reduce the bass on zmf

which version was the bassiest

so can they tune it to my liking if i order from them 

did u own the mad dog pro

i loved the mad dog and thought of buying the mad dog pro until i saw this thread

so I am really eager to know how much better you prefer them in sq

also i hope it has no harshness in mids and highs

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #58 of 1,522
I don't know why but overall the midrange became more accurate and I can't think of a more ideal midrange. The bass is still adequate its just not as emphasized and most ppl i know have the final tuning so other opinions of them should be fine. Its still north of neutral wich is similar to the pro. This will best the pro in soundstage, transparency, imaging, mids, and detail.

There is only one version of the zmf x vibro. I believe if you ask zach he will be able to respond more accurately about what he is willing and unwilling to do. You can find the contact on www.zmfheadphones.com

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #59 of 1,522
i have the audeze lcd 2 rev2 and i am looking to add to my collection a more bassy high end headphone so I was wondering if i am in the right direction

i know some might suggest vmoda or denon but i read denon can be gassy but has problem in mid and highs, vmoda some say its not high end

i look for same audeze sound but with more bass maybe something like this is not out there

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #60 of 1,522
Like mentioned, Zach is very easy to work with. I would recommend asking him. My first version def did the above and had even better soundstage than the lcd IMO. you are in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back