ZMF Verite Open
Nov 28, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #9,121 of 9,535
First ironwood then blackwood? You must have a very strong neck. :wink:lol

(I kid, as an ironwood owner myself)
I have an ironwood VO. The ironwood is magical. It magically makes all your other headphones lighter. I have an Olivewood AC and it feels almost weightless now. The issue with weight really isn't weight, it is how the weight is distributed on your head. That is one of the best things about ZMF headphones, the headband can change into whatever configuration you need to distribute weight optimally. I have a ridge on my head that makes pretty much all other headphones unwearable. With ZMFs I can bend the headband enough to avoid this. I can only use non-ZMF headphones because I have a ZMF crescent strap on them.

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #9,122 of 9,535
I have an ironwood VO. The ironwood is magical. It magically makes all your other headphones lighter. I have an Olivewood AC and it feels almost weightless now. The issue with weight really isn't weight, it is how the weight is distributed on your head. That is one of the best things about ZMF headphones, the headband can change into whatever configuration you need to distribute weight optimally. I have a ridge on my head that makes pretty much all other headphones unwearable. With ZMFs I can bend the headband enough to avoid this. I can only use non-ZMF headphones because I have a ZMF crescent strap on them.
I ordered the co-pilot pad for my VO, mostly because the weight dragged them down to the point that even on the lowest setting they hung too low for my ears. The co-pilot pad really is "like a pillow on your head". Fully expect I'll be getting one for my soon-to-arrive Caldera, too, just because now I am spoiled. :wink:lol

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #9,123 of 9,535
I ordered the co-pilot pad for my VO, mostly because the weight dragged them down to the point that even on the lowest setting they hung too low for my ears. The co-pilot pad really is "like a pillow on your head". Fully expect I'll be getting one for my soon-to-arrive Caldera, too, just because now I am spoiled. :wink:lol
I've never had good experience with the pilot or co-pilot pad. The crescent strap though fixes every headphone I put it on.

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #9,124 of 9,535
You can buy a b-stock VO right now in ironwood or a couple other woods for just $2000. Might be worth considering. That price is a steal. I don't generally go with the overall opinions of any particular reviewer. I find most reviewers (other than Zoes and Josh Valour) to provide useful commentary about the abilities and sound signature of what they are reviewing, and use that to make a decision. I find WaveTheory more useful than PassionForSound, not necessarily because he is better, but because his taste in music is closer to mind. He listens to a lot of rock and metal as I do, while PassionForSound seems to listen to a lot of classical and jazz, which I don't. So his critique of the individual attributes I find a bit more useful, though PassionForSound is still useful. CMA seems to be between the two since his taste in music seems to be between the two. DMS and GoldenSound would be more useful if they did more reviews. I doubt anyone at Headphone Show would be too useful for ZMFs since they are basically competitors. I used to have a stock wood VC but had similar concerns as WaveTheory had in his two VCs, so I sold it. I recently bought an ironwood VC, so hopefully I will have a better experience with that. I also have agreed with WaveTheory on the AO and VO. That doesn't mean that the VO will certainly be good for everyone, or the AO will certainly be limited in its use for everyone, it just means his observations are likely to be reproduced if you have the same versions of each headphone, so if you like or dislike that, you can start from there and then make changes in pads, wood, cables, etc. I have found that different woods make a massive difference in the sound. I even recently found that cables (silver vs copper) can make a big difference. I don't like my Caldera with a copper cable, but it is tied with my VO for my favorite headphone with a silver cable.
Some of the b-stock VOs are as low as $1700 which is an amazing deal that I would be jumping on, but I'm currently a grad student without a whole lot of disposable income so I already overextended a bit this ZMF November by getting a stabilized Atticus and iHA-6 :dizzy_face: But I'll definitely be saving up in hopes of grabbing a VO next year!

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #9,126 of 9,535
jaki jest najlepszy zbalansowany kabel XLR do kupienia dla VO
czy zapasy ofc xlr są bardzo złe
Ofc cupper cables sound damn fine, only issue is the material of XLR variant its not very comfrotable. Check gladiator cables for great sounding but affordable cables with good feel. Will come down to your chain and preference if you want silver, hybrid or copper. I prefer VO with hybrid cable.

Use Englisch.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #9,129 of 9,535
So I've been thoroughly enjoying the VO Blackwoods for the past few days. Unfortunately, the DAC portion of my JDS Element stopped working on one channel and now I'm stuck with a replacement until it gets to JDS and they tell me if it can be repaired or if I'll have to purchase a new one. At this point, trying to keep my options open. Currently I purchased a SMSL C200 off Amazon just to tide me by, but man this amp is not it. I was always under the impression amps won't affect the sound that much unless it was a tube - boy howdy was I wrong, and now I really miss my Element.

If the JDS can't be repaired, anyone have any recommendations for SS amps? I know tubes are recommended but I do have other cans I want to be able to use (DT1990 and LCD-2) and my current budget is about $5-600 USD. Open to all suggestions! So far I'm seeing the Singxer SA-1, Cayin iHA-6, Topping A90, Aune s9c, and Topping A70 come up.

As for DACs, I currently also have a Modi 2u in my possession. Not really looking to upgrade this just yet as my wallet is destroyed after the ZMF's :beyersmile:

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #9,130 of 9,535
So I've been thoroughly enjoying the VO Blackwoods for the past few days. Unfortunately, the DAC portion of my JDS Element stopped working on one channel and now I'm stuck with a replacement until it gets to JDS and they tell me if it can be repaired or if I'll have to purchase a new one. At this point, trying to keep my options open. Currently I purchased a SMSL C200 off Amazon just to tide me by, but man this amp is not it. I was always under the impression amps won't affect the sound that much unless it was a tube - boy howdy was I wrong, and now I really miss my Element.

If the JDS can't be repaired, anyone have any recommendations for SS amps? I know tubes are recommended but I do have other cans I want to be able to use (DT1990 and LCD-2) and my current budget is about $5-600 USD. Open to all suggestions! So far I'm seeing the Singxer SA-1, Cayin iHA-6, Topping A90, Aune s9c, and Topping A70 come up.

As for DACs, I currently also have a Modi 2u in my possession. Not really looking to upgrade this just yet as my wallet is destroyed after the ZMF's :beyersmile:

I'm sorry to hear about the Element, I hope it gets fixed for you.

I'd recommend - with a few reservations - the Schiit Lyr + as another amp for your VO. I posted some impressions from a loaner tour on another forum here. For reference, my VO were the Blackwoods, too. Also, please note that I liked the Lyr+ with an upgraded Tung Sol tube. One advantage of the Lyr+ is its versatility as it can be used as a solid state amp and as a tube amp. I hope this helps!

I'm sorry, I've not heard enough amps in the $500-600 range to be able to suggest others. There may well be other, better ones for the price. I hear good things about the Cayin. You might like to ask this query over in the unofficial ZMF amps thread here.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #9,131 of 9,535
I'm sorry to hear about the Element, I hope it gets fixed for you.

I'd recommend - with a few reservations - the Schiit Lyr + as another amp for your VO. I posted some impressions from a loaner tour on another forum here. For reference, my VO were the Blackwoods, too. Also, please note that I liked the Lyr+ with an upgraded Tung Sol tube. One advantage of the Lyr+ is its versatility as it can be used as a solid state amp and as a tube amp. I hope this helps!

I'm sorry, I've not heard enough amps in the $500-600 range to be able to suggest others. There may well be other, better ones for the price. I hear good things about the Cayin. You might like to ask this query over in the unofficial ZMF amps thread here.
That's a good idea, I'll X-post this over there, thanks!

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #9,132 of 9,535

Haven't gotten to hear a VO yet, but I'm very happy with my iHA-6 with the Atticus. The SE outputs have high output impedance for a solid state amp, which gives the drivers more freedom. Zach has said he finds this particularly important for the more mid-bass focused ZMF headphones, so I think the Verite would probably fall under the umbrella of dynamic ZMFs that can really benefit from the higher output impedance

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #9,134 of 9,535
Seems like another vote for the cayin, thanks. If your equipment info is accurate looks like you’re running a modi, do you use the balanced output on the amp at all? Any harm in doing so?
Yep, I'm running the Modi into the RCA inputs of the iHA-6! I haven't used the balanced output of the iHA-6 at all since I don't have a balanced cable, but also the balanced output has a much lower output impedance so it's better for lower impedance headphones like planars. The single-ended outputs, particularly the left-most 'low' output, seems to have the best synergy with ZMFs dynamic drivers

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #9,135 of 9,535
Yep, I'm running the Modi into the RCA inputs of the iHA-6! I haven't used the balanced output of the iHA-6 at all since I don't have a balanced cable, but also the balanced output has a much lower output impedance so it's better for lower impedance headphones like planars. The single-ended outputs, particularly the left-most 'low' output, seems to have the best synergy with ZMFs dynamic drivers
Awesome. Definitely on my shortlist. Only caveat for me, is that it’s about $1100 CAD with taxes…lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back