ZMF Verite Open
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #9,151 of 9,561
Cool! Nice pair as well. I was looking at those. I ultimately went with the silver grill VO because I already have an Aeolus with a black grill. I didn't get a timeframe, but after looking at the ZMF November HeadFi Thread, Zach said it may take up to 5 weeks to ship. Lets hope it's not that long :fingers_crossed:

I ordered from the selectstock on the 29th November and was told on Monday it would be another couple of weeks before my headphones ship so don't hold your breath.

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #9,153 of 9,561
Easy. Schiit Jotunheim. I have a $3500 Holo Bliss, and if I didn't have that, I would have a Jotunheim. I spent a lot of time with different amps, and the Jotunheim is better than just about all the other amps I heard, other than the Bliss (assuming you don't have any insane headphones like a Susvara). I had a Ferrum Oor/Hypsos for a time but sold it because it wasn't much better, or maybe better at all, than the Jotunheim despite being $3000. I even tried out the $30,000 Lina stack at canjam, and I liked my Jotunheim better.
Which version of the Jotunheim do you have? I may be able to get a Jotunheim 2.
Or is it not that relevant?

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #9,155 of 9,561
I wa wondering why Aeolus pads didn’t make it onto the @heliosphann VO pad list, even as an outlier. Now I know. So wonky and muddy. Might be useful for simulating psychedelic effects, but it’s probably a bad trip.

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #9,156 of 9,561
I wa wondering why Aeolus pads didn’t make it onto the @heliosphann VO pad list, even as an outlier. Now I know. So wonky and muddy. Might be useful for simulating psychedelic effects, but it’s probably a bad trip.
Have you posted any pics of your VO in any threads? Verdure was my favorite of the stabilized VOs so I'd love to see how they look in "normal" lighting if you get a chance! :beerchug:

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #9,157 of 9,561
Hmmmmm. They've been discontinued for a few years now. I'm already getting a pair of those Verite Ultra Perf pads, so I maybe I'll add those as well in a future update.

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #9,158 of 9,561
Have you posted any pics of your VO in any threads? Verdure was my favorite of the stabilized VOs so I'd love to see how they look in "normal" lighting if you get a chance! :beerchug:
I posted this a few days back. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite-open.890270/post-17830749
[edit - I just managed to link the “Verdure” in my sig to that other pic]

And put this pic on the Facebook group
IMG_8848.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #9,159 of 9,561
Hmmmmm. They've been discontinued for a few years now. I'm already getting a pair of those Verite Ultra Perf pads, so I maybe I'll add those as well in a future update.
i picked up a B-stock set last year, but I think of the Aeolus pads only the solid are left. I have OG Verite pads and BE2 hybrids on the way. I liked the Uni suede and Caldera ultra perf best so far. It’s still early in the process though. I appreciate your notes. I’m pretty good at knowing if I like or don’t like something, but struggle to articulate the differences on exactly why.

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #9,160 of 9,561
Yes - love the silver too but this is my first pair so love the black equally. And thanks - I'm down under so it will be even longer for me no doubt.
How is your experience with Verite open after trying other ZMF? I read your post where you have demo ed every ZMF on the TOTL how was it? ZMF is my first expensive headphone and i was recommended by the store to get the verite but after purchase i saw a lot of reviewer actually prefer the Atrium more and verite not so much.

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #9,161 of 9,561
How is your experience with Verite open after trying other ZMF? I read your post where you have demo ed every ZMF on the TOTL how was it? ZMF is my first expensive headphone and i was recommended by the store to get the verite but after purchase i saw a lot of reviewer actually prefer the Atrium more and verite not so much.
While I haven't listened to the Atriums, I own a set of VOs in blackwood. Personally, I think I would prefer these based on reviews - the VOs tend to have a bit more speed, as in, notes are a bit more articulated and distinct, while the Atriums tend to be a bit more blended together. I find these are great for my use case as if I don't necessarily want speed for whatever reason I'll just throw on my LCD-2s. That said, even when I say that these are faster, they aren't fatiguing at all for me. I got them quite recently and the rest of my headphones are collecting dust at the moment.

Edit: For example, listening to snare drums and cymbals as well are an absolute blast with these headphones, it's viscerally satisfying!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #9,162 of 9,561
You never know what you're missing before you actually listen to them! Atriums are actually pretty damn snappy. I found the Verite Closed somewhat thick and romantic sounding in a very addicting way, while also being faster. I expected them to be "bright" but I was so wrong. Fatigue isn't a thing with ZMF.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #9,163 of 9,561
Most reviews of the VO have been good. I can only think of one exception, and he is a reviewer I don't put much stock in. The VO/VC/AO/AC/Caldera are all on the same level, so none of them is objectively better than any other. It is just a question of what music you like, what your source chain is, the particulars of your hearing, etc. Also if you need a closed back. I have owned all 5, and the VO and Caldera are tied for my favorite. Each does something better than the other.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #9,164 of 9,561
What genres of music do you tend to listen to most often? Which amplifier(s) do you plan to use them with?

I couldn’t decide between either and ultimately ended up with both the Atrium and VO… 🤷

Regarding reviews, I do think the VO is a bit more nuanced, and doesn’t get the praise and attention it truly deserves. However, those who own a pair, seem to treasure them dearly. Just look at this thread. Several years after launching, and many new models hitting the market, members continue hanging out on this thread (already over 600 pages.) That speaks volumes.

Some other headphone threads for cans that came out around the same time are basically zombie threads now. 😶
Just a fun observation.

Anyhow, you really can’t go wrong with any ZMF. Besides, you’ll eventually end up with multiple :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #9,165 of 9,561
Regarding reviews, I do think the VO is a bit more nuanced, and doesn’t get the praise and attention it truly deserves. However, those who own a pair, seem to treasure them dearly. Just look at this thread.

It seems that people who hooked up to VO sound are loving it to death, including me. VO is that headphone that you really need to listen personally and not influenced by reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back