ZMF Verite Open
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #9,137 of 9,561
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #9,138 of 9,561
FYI, ZMF has a Cayin close out special on that Cayin running now, which may help vs budget and cross-border shipping (given that it’s from a company perhaps):

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/zmf-november/products/copy-of-cayin-ha-300b-mk-ii
I did notice that listing! It would be cheaper overall than what I'd pay for here for sure. It does show as out of stock at the moment though but also reads "Coming soon" so I'm not quite sure what's going on with this. I figured it already ran its course and I was too late.

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #9,139 of 9,561
The thing with Blackwood is that at first glance, one can’t tell whether it’s even wood at all, but when the light hits just right…

IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1796.jpeg

I’m stunned. The figuring and chatoyance of this is incredible. Almost like a Blackwood Burl. My wife actually said “Okay, yeah, that’s a good purchase.” 😝

Thank you to the ZMF production team for exceeding my expectations!

They’re not even broken in yet and they sound even better than I remember. I’ve seen reports that Ironwood and Blackwood sound notably different from one another, but this is notably more smooth and dynamic than I recall.

Christmas came early for me and I’m super grateful to @Pharmaboy for advising me to come back to the VO.

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #9,140 of 9,561
Almost like a Blackwood Burl
That's exactly what I thought at first, it looks like Blacwood burl. Beautiful, congrats!

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #9,141 of 9,561
So I've been thoroughly enjoying the VO Blackwoods for the past few days. Unfortunately, the DAC portion of my JDS Element stopped working on one channel and now I'm stuck with a replacement until it gets to JDS and they tell me if it can be repaired or if I'll have to purchase a new one. At this point, trying to keep my options open. Currently I purchased a SMSL C200 off Amazon just to tide me by, but man this amp is not it. I was always under the impression amps won't affect the sound that much unless it was a tube - boy howdy was I wrong, and now I really miss my Element.

If the JDS can't be repaired, anyone have any recommendations for SS amps? I know tubes are recommended but I do have other cans I want to be able to use (DT1990 and LCD-2) and my current budget is about $5-600 USD. Open to all suggestions! So far I'm seeing the Singxer SA-1, Cayin iHA-6, Topping A90, Aune s9c, and Topping A70 come up.

As for DACs, I currently also have a Modi 2u in my possession. Not really looking to upgrade this just yet as my wallet is destroyed after the ZMF's :beyersmile:
Easy. Schiit Jotunheim. I have a $3500 Holo Bliss, and if I didn't have that, I would have a Jotunheim. I spent a lot of time with different amps, and the Jotunheim is better than just about all the other amps I heard, other than the Bliss (assuming you don't have any insane headphones like a Susvara). I had a Ferrum Oor/Hypsos for a time but sold it because it wasn't much better, or maybe better at all, than the Jotunheim despite being $3000. I even tried out the $30,000 Lina stack at canjam, and I liked my Jotunheim better.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #9,143 of 9,561
I did notice that listing! It would be cheaper overall than what I'd pay for here for sure. It does show as out of stock at the moment though but also reads "Coming soon" so I'm not quite sure what's going on with this. I figured it already ran its course and I was too late.
Shoot- sorry to get your hopes up but I saw Zach is checking if he might have another open-box unit so my fingers are crossed for you!

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #9,145 of 9,561
Just got these baby's during ZMF November for a really good price. Couldn't pass it up. Have a Jot 2 SS with a BiFrost 2 OG DAC and Feliks Echo MKII for my Tube AMP. I am using this chain for my Aeolus right now and enjoy the sound. Will give this current chain a try with my Verite, but am thinking I might need to upgrade my SS AMP at the least. Excited to give these a listen.

Attachments

• Verite_BStock_Shopify2_1024x1024@2x.jpeg
    Verite_BStock_Shopify2_1024x1024@2x.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 30, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #9,146 of 9,561
Gorgeous set! Please burn them in for a good 100-200 hours before deciding if you like them. I was initially disappointed with mine, but they changed so much over time that now I love them. And no, it was not my brain adjusting!

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #9,147 of 9,561
Gorgeous set! Please burn them in for a good 100-200 hours before deciding if you like them. I was initially disappointed with mine, but they changed so much over time that now I love them. And no, it was not my brain adjusting!
Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:I found the sound changed on my Aeolus as well after burn-in. I'm sure I am going to love the VO. I heard the VC at a CanJam an very much liked the sound signature of it. I still prefer open backs though. I will report back after I get some time with them. Still haven't shipped.

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #9,148 of 9,561
Just got these baby's during ZMF November for a really good price. Couldn't pass it up. Have a Jot 2 SS with a BiFrost 2 OG DAC and Feliks Echo MKII for my Tube AMP. I am using this chain for my Aeolus right now and enjoy the sound. Will give this current chain a try with my Verite, but am thinking I might need to upgrade my SS AMP at the least. Excited to give these a listen.
Haha - that's funny. I had the B-stock page open and was debating which ones to get, particularly between the ones you got and these. I went to get yours and they were gone (beat me by that much....) so I got these. I'm just as happy with mine. Cannot wait to get them. Did you get a timeframe?
1701388902013.png

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #9,149 of 9,561
Haha - that's funny. I had the B-stock page open and was debating which ones to get, particularly between the ones you got and these. I went to get yours and they were gone (beat me by that much....) so I got these. I'm just as happy with mine. Cannot wait to get them. Did you get a timeframe?1701388902013.png
Cool! Nice pair as well. I was looking at those. I ultimately went with the silver grill VO because I already have an Aeolus with a black grill. I didn't get a timeframe, but after looking at the ZMF November HeadFi Thread, Zach said it may take up to 5 weeks to ship. Lets hope it's not that long :fingers_crossed:

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #9,150 of 9,561
Cool! Nice pair as well. I was looking at those. I ultimately went with the silver grill VO because I already have an Aeolus with a black grill. I didn't get a timeframe, but after looking at the ZMF November HeadFi Thread, Zach said it may take up to 5 weeks to ship. Lets hope it's not that long :fingers_crossed:
Yes - love the silver too but this is my first pair so love the black equally. And thanks - I'm down under so it will be even longer for me no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back