ZMF Verite Open
Oct 1, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #8,056 of 9,511
I've owned my Verite African Blackwood for about a year now; a year which I've spent much of listening to it on my iFi Signature. I've really loved it on that amp, fantastic punch and bass extension, incredible details, etc.

After spending the last year reading everyone say "you gotta listen to ZMF on tubes", last week I got the Quicksilver Tube Headphone Amp (& Gold Lion tubes)

I totally get it now! My favorite quality about the Verite has always been "holographic" magic it performs with sound. Tubes that that to the next level, in a way that pushes the holographic effect past comprehension. I don't just mean that as some hyperbole, I really mean it - before I felt like I "understood" the holographic effect, I could place it as existing within the headphone. The sound was still getting transformed within the confines of the headphone. On tubes, the effect is compounded past the point where I can comprehend / place "in the headphone" where it is occurring from. Past that threshold, sounds seem to come from outside of the headphone, where I've mistook a sound as being in the room and turned my head. Something that rarely happened on my iFi.

I very much love the new sound signature, it feels very "right" for the Verite.

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #8,057 of 9,511
ZMFs + tubes = musical bliss. Congrats on the new amp! That's one on my short list to try.

Since getting the Atrium my other ZMFs have not been getting as much listening lately. Yesterday I was experimenting with some different tube combinations with my WA6 (the Mullard GZ32 paired with early 50s Sylvania 6EM7 black plates are a mind-blowing combination). After listening to this setup with the Atrium I decided to give the Verite a listen.

I was quickly reminded why the Verite and Atrium are co-flagships. The 3d holographic sound of the Verite was quickly apparent as well as the speed. There are songs that I preferred with the Atriums and others that I preferred with the Verite. Both are fantastic phones and frankly I would have a hard time choosing a favorite between the two. They are very complimentary to each other and both are mind-blowing in different ways.

Oct 4, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #8,058 of 9,511
I recently switched to BE2 hybrid pads after a really long run using strictly Universe lambskin pads, maybe 12 months or so. I love the Universe pads for the spacious 3D headstage and deep bass extension, but I was starting to wish for a more present upper midrange / treble response.

I remember not liking the BE2 hybrids previously so I wasn't expecting much, but I'm really enjoying the sound. With these pads I find the presentation to be really similar to the Utopia although with a better soundstage and a deeper, more pleasing bass response. It gives up a tiny bit of resolution and pinpoint imaging, but I find it to be a nicer overall listening experience.

The best aspect of the BE2 pads compared with Universe is a more balanced presentation, truly excellent with any type of music. Plus, it's so easy to switch back for a more laid back, relaxed, deep 3D soundstage experience.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #8,059 of 9,511
2022_1007_17474900.jpg

Paired with BE2 Lambskin, and i'm good to go for any genres

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #8,060 of 9,511
Oct 7, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #8,061 of 9,511
I've owned my Verite African Blackwood for about a year now; a year which I've spent much of listening to it on my iFi Signature. I've really loved it on that amp, fantastic punch and bass extension, incredible details, etc.

After spending the last year reading everyone say "you gotta listen to ZMF on tubes", last week I got the Quicksilver Tube Headphone Amp (& Gold Lion tubes)

I totally get it now! My favorite quality about the Verite has always been "holographic" magic it performs with sound. Tubes that that to the next level, in a way that pushes the holographic effect past comprehension. I don't just mean that as some hyperbole, I really mean it - before I felt like I "understood" the holographic effect, I could place it as existing within the headphone. The sound was still getting transformed within the confines of the headphone. On tubes, the effect is compounded past the point where I can comprehend / place "in the headphone" where it is occurring from. Past that threshold, sounds seem to come from outside of the headphone, where I've mistook a sound as being in the room and turned my head. Something that rarely happened on my iFi.

I very much love the new sound signature, it feels very "right" for the Verite.
tubespl1.png

Following up on my previous post, I put my Verite on my measurement rig and measured it with both my iFi Signature as well as my Quicksilver Tube Headphone Amp and the results surprised me! Exactly the same frequency response (brown and blue lines).

It's so interesting that this can be the case while they both sound so different!

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #8,062 of 9,511
tubespl1.png

Following up on my previous post, I put my Verite on my measurement rig and measured it with both my iFi Signature as well as my Quicksilver Tube Headphone Amp and the results surprised me! Exactly the same frequency response (brown and blue lines).

It's so interesting that this can be the case while they both sound so different!
This is why one can only put so much stock into measurements. They can give you a general idea of what to expect, but nothing beats actually listening with one's ears

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #8,063 of 9,511
tubespl1.png

Measurements are tools, and they have their limitations. Graphs might guide you to listen for something that could be problematic, but only your ears can tell you if you can hear it (duh). Lots of variables to be taken into account, and your experiment shows that not everything can be measured.

Listen & enjoy!

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #8,064 of 9,511
Measurements are tools, and they have their limitations. Graphs might guide you to listen for something that could be problematic, but only your ears can tell you if you can hear it (duh). Lots of variables to be taken into account, and your experiment shows that not everything can be measured.

Listen & enjoy!
Very true. It would be interesting if there was a way to measure and graph attributes like soundstage width/depth, decay, timbre, etc. The mystique and allure of tube rolling is you can only truly "get it" when you've heard a certain tube amp/tube roll for yourself. The nuanced differences can be so hard to put into words and so subjective. IMO there are very, very few people that can be trusted in accurately describing what certain tubes sound like (myself not included). I've learned to take it with a pretty big grain of salt when posters have a repeat history of describing every new tube roll in ways like "omg best tubes i've ever heard, such realism, widest/deepest soundstage, must buy or you're missing out!". Sentiment driven group-FOMO resulting in tube acquisition (& hoarding) is an all too real negative side effect of discussing our experiences on these forums with no real way to measure these things... While extravagant descriptions full of mind-blowing adjectives can be highly entertaining, I have come to appreciate when people simply say "I like these tubes" or at least caveat "my ears, my gear" :)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #8,065 of 9,511
tubespl1.png

If your amp gives different FR measurements vs another one… there’s a serious problem in its design.

You can arguably get a sliver of a dB deviance in like 20Hz or past 20kHz, but usually that would be attributed to a measurement null or really just the amp being awful (so bad it’s difficult to accomplish)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 9, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #8,066 of 9,511
Oct 11, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #8,067 of 9,511
No mid-bass issues. None whatsoever.

If your DAC and amp are up for the task then you'll be in for a treat. Verite shine!

A mid 2000's dubstep mix made for me by a close friend who's a producer/engineer and DJ for a new vintage winery launch. Dusting this one off.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #8,068 of 9,511
It is cold here tonight and it is a perfect day to fire up my OTL amp and VO. Put my cellphone away from the tubes and played some orchestral soundtracks. I am being reminded again with VO's superiority.
I have been burning my Atrium daily for almost 2 months now. It sounds amazing on its own but for me, OTL+VO for orchestral music is in the league of its own. Atrium soundstage depth is amazing but it's missing the width and enveloping sound the VO can deliver.

There is something I also noticed. I have not been listening to this combo since last spring and the only component changed ever since is the DAC. They were Chord Qutest, VMV D2 and now Gustard R2R DAC R26. I used to enjoy my silver cable with VO but now I noticed it's a bit harsh on the upper register, specially with female voice. It's messing with the timbre. Switched it to a copper cable and now everything sounds normal again. The DAC definitely makes a difference but I'm just surprised of how big of a difference it is, and also as surprised with the simple solution of headphone cable switching too. Anyone ever experience something like this?

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #8,069 of 9,511
The DAC definitely makes a difference but I'm just surprised of how big of a difference it is, and also as surprised with the simple solution of headphone cable switching too. Anyone ever experience something like this?

No, I have some silver cables (Norne/Lavri/Toxic) but they change absolutely nothing soundwise. I don't know why.

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #8,070 of 9,511
It is cold here tonight and it is a perfect day to fire up my OTL amp and VO. Put my cellphone away from the tubes and played some orchestral soundtracks. I am being reminded again with VO's superiority.
I have been burning my Atrium daily for almost 2 months now. It sounds amazing on its own but for me, OTL+VO for orchestral music is in the league of its own. Atrium soundstage depth is amazing but it's missing the width and enveloping sound the VO can deliver.

There is something I also noticed. I have not been listening to this combo since last spring and the only component changed ever since is the DAC. They were Chord Qutest, VMV D2 and now Gustard R2R DAC R26. I used to enjoy my silver cable with VO but now I noticed it's a bit harsh on the upper register, specially with female voice. It's messing with the timbre. Switched it to a copper cable and now everything sounds normal again. The DAC definitely makes a difference but I'm just surprised of how big of a difference it is, and also as surprised with the simple solution of headphone cable switching too. Anyone ever experience something like this?
Absolutely. I run LQi Voda (UPOCC copper), LQi Esprit (silver plated UPOCC copper), and ZMF Lectrik S (silver plated copper) with my ZMF phones. I prefer the pure copper Voda with the VO, Atrium with Universe pads, Eikon, and Auteur with Auteur pads. I prefer the Esprit or Lectrik S with the Aeolus, Atticus, Atrium with Auteur pads, and Auteur with Eikon Suede pads. The extra bit of treble energy with the silver plated cables works better to my ears with the more laid back phone and/or pad combinations. The pure copper cable to me is better suited for the phone and/or pad combinations that have more forward highs to begin with.

I too have been playing my Atrium mostly since I've only had it for 3 weeks now. I have listened to my VO a few times during that period and it never fails to impress! I love the fast and enveloping sound while retaining musicality that the VO possesses. To me the Atrium and VO are very complimentary to each other.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back