ZMF Verite Open
Jan 5, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #7,261 of 9,515
But it must also be said that the design of the Empyrean set a whole new standard in headphone design--in audio design, period. That screens in particular are quite amazing.

Antonio had blown up/large photos of screens in the booth at CanJam 2 years running--those photos made it pretty clear how high level this headphone's design really is (architectural design).
They are quite stunning and feel/look like their price tag (unlike some other TOTL headphones). I also think they're technically better than a lot of people give them credit for.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #7,262 of 9,515
Most would say this sound is not neutral, but it is so beautiful that i do not care:wink:
That's what it's all about!

MHDT is R2R NOS tube dac with amazing musicality.
You know I came across the Orchid early in my research but dismissed it bc I wasn't sure about doubling up on tubes in both amp/dac. If you don't mind me asking, what tube do you currently have in the Orchid? I have definitely been looking toward R2R e.g., yggy LIM. Your description of the sound you're getting out the Orchid+OTL has me intrigued. Are you using the USB input on the Orchid? Curious as I'll be using usb from the iphone for awhile

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #7,263 of 9,515
Anyone here into EQ? Would love to hear your settings
I’d be interested as well. I have an RME ADI2 DAC and there are many recommended EQ settings created by a guy named Oratory1990 on Reddit, but none for the Verite.

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #7,264 of 9,515
Nobody asked me about the MHDT Labs Orchid, but here's my 2 cents...

In my main system (headphones + speakers + sub), I've used SPDIF converters for years and recently switched to a DDC (Matrix Audio x-spdif 2)--always combined with a high quality silver coax cable (Oyaide DR-510) into the DAC. So most of my listening to the MHDT Labs Orchid didn't involve USB at all.

As @bpiotrow13 says, the sound of this DAC really is beautiful, the best I've heard IMS.

I did rotate this DAC into my side system (headphone only) for a month or so this summer. There it did receive signal via USB cable. During that time I used all my headphones and 2-3 of my amps in the side system. I thought the DAC sounded just about as it does in the main system--ie, very good.

In general, I find that coax into any DAC sounds better than USB, and with the DDC the differences are even more apparent.

The tube I'm currently using in the DAC is an NOS Mullard military CV5331 purchased from Brent Jesse. It sounds very nice. Before that I tried an NOS WE396jw tube--also very nice. Both sounded somewhat better than the stock tube, and the Mullard best of all. Note that these differences are rather small: it's a buffer circuit, not driver usage of the tube, so the "flavor" of each tube is probably less than it would be in an amp. Also note these tubes weren't cheap (tubes can be quite a rabbit hole).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #7,265 of 9,515
Universe perf suede is a nice change from universe perf lambskin. More comfortable. This is the same pad I settled on for my Auteurs (which came with perf suede Auteurs installed).

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #7,266 of 9,515
As @bpiotrow13 says, the sound of this DAC really is beautiful, the best I've heard IMS.
Thank you for the description of your orchid, I can tell you really enjoy the presentation of that DAC! So much info condensed in your post--have started looking at DDCs- have not really looked into them before, figured unison in a yggy would be sufficient. Glad to hear that the Orchid also works well with your speakers--I have an older set of B&Ws that can draw blood if not tightly controlled, wouldn't mind turning the Orchid loose on those. With the Verites what amps were you using with the DAC--SS, tube?
Also note these tubes weren't cheap (tubes can be quite a rabbit hole).
Yes they can! Brent recommended the recent tubes for my EMP upgrade. He was very helpful and actually talked me down from going a little too heavy into the British Brimar/Mullard sound. His thinking was the Amperex would balance the lushness of the Brimar--add a bit of punch. I have been quite pleased with the result and really look forward to pairing the Verites with this amp. Received an email tonight that my Verites have entered the sanding and finishing stage!

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #7,267 of 9,515
You know I came across the Orchid early in my research but dismissed it bc I wasn't sure about doubling up on tubes in both amp/dac. If you don't mind me asking, what tube do you currently have in the Orchid? I have definitely been looking toward R2R e.g., yggy LIM. Your description of the sound you're getting out the Orchid+OTL has me intrigued. Are you using the USB input on the Orchid? Curious as I'll be using usb from the iphone for awhile
I was also afraid of doubling tube gears, but it works amazingly. In Orchid I use Siemens cca and mullards cv2493 (these are ecc88 equivalents so adapter is needed). I will experiment with tubes later, I have just bought Raytheon 5670 and would like to try WE396 as well.

I will write about my system in a while, once I am done with all cables selection. Basically I use Roon Nucleus through Matrix SPDIF to MHDT. USB output at Nucleus is not the best so digital to digital converter or a streamer is good to have. I see @Pharmaboy does something similar, so I guess USB output is not the best generally and DDC helps a lot.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #7,268 of 9,515
Thank you, both! I find the Empy a little too sharp in the 10K+ region, and definitely prefer the bass of the VC or LCD-4, so think I’ll take the plunge. Got my Empy for full price also, and I think maybe they’re not worth 3K when a VO costs the same or less.

Now just hoping I can snag a Stabilized set whenever those are available.

Good decision. I can confirm what the other two have said, almost to the letter.
The VO loves valve amps.
Compared to Empy, I notice a fuller bodied sound; for all that people say about Empy's midrange, I personally find it a touch thin.
I find better tonality, tighter bass, and better detail and transparency while still having a degree of sweetness in the treble.
I'd say that vocals are far superior to the Empy, with naturalness, good body, superb tonality, fine detail without being analytical.
Musically I think VO is more 'agile', with Mozart sounding more like Mozart, with subtleties like variations in rhythm done better.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #7,269 of 9,515
In terms of tube amps you guys are using/like with your Verite headphones:

I only own one tube amp, the Bottlehead Crack Speedball with NOS tubes. Curious what other tube amps you guys like (if I decide to upgrade, it would be great to research and read up on specs). Specifically, those that take 12au7 preamp tubes and 8-pin 6080 tubes in the power section. I have a few pairs of these (GEC, Chatham) which could be used in another amp that utilizes pairs vs. singles.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #7,271 of 9,515
In terms of tube amps you guys are using/like with your Verite headphones:

I only own one tube amp, the Bottlehead Crack Speedball with NOS tubes. Curious what other tube amps you guys like (if I decide to upgrade, it would be great to research and read up on specs). Specifically, those that take 12au7 preamp tubes and 8-pin 6080 tubes in the power section. I have a few pairs of these (GEC, Chatham) which could be used in another amp that utilizes pairs vs. singles.
I am using Polish Sinusaudio dual mono, it utilises a pair of 6as7/6080/6n13s power tubes and a pair of 12au7 drivers.

04-scaled.jpg

I have also tried Woo Audio wa3 and wa2. They use ecc88 for driver, but through adapter You could use ecc82/12au7 as well. Woo amps are not that warmish for me, maybe because of ecc88 tubes. I like wa3 more as it is a bit warmer, but overall decided i prefer sinus (more analog sound, while technically superb).

I have also heard a lot of good words about Eufonika. You could not probably be wrong also with Feliks Audio amps, but i have not tried them. They use 6sn7 for drivers but through adapter You could use 12au7 as well.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #7,272 of 9,515
As valve amps are being considered, here is my latest DIY effort., Felicity.
Inspired by Andrea Ciuffoli's top level OTL amp, #3
I use a 12SN7 as the gain stage as I have a good selection of top quality NOS, and 5687 output valves (compatible with E182CC) as I have several; E182CC are on order.

I have increased the power supply voltage, allowing larger value load resistors above the 12SN7 and below the 5687, to keep distortion low.
The power supply is a typical one of mine. Valve rectified by 6BY5 (paralleled) as it sounds good. 3 stage supply with low resistance chokes in each stage, and poly/oil motor run caps (no electrolytics); tuned for fast clean transient response. The final stage is split by channel, making 4 chokes in all (one is inside).
Chokes add robustness to a PSU, somewhat like a degree of regulation. The supply is unregulated, as regulation may tend to be less organic and natural.
Note my words 'may tend', as I know there are many fine supplies of different types! There is no one perfect solution or we'd all use it. I choose my poison as I'm familiar with this kind of supply and it suits my taste, sounding a bit less like hifi if you see what I mean.

Volume control is a stepped attenuator with Dale resistors, excellent sounding, but I may fit a Goldpoint some time (I use one in another amp).
Output caps are Jantzen standard Z caps 100uF, polypropylene, fairly good caps, but it's about the best that will fit - their Z cap supreme are excellent but too big. But even this lowish quality cap is an order of magnitude better than electrolytics (see the tan d loss values if you don't believe me).

Even with only a few hours on it, the sound is good; very transparent, fast transients, good dynamics, musical, good vocals, decent tone. Unlike some valve amps, this is fast and powerful sounding. I know there is more to come in terms of sweetness and tonality with running in, but these are OK now; Kate Purcell's voice is fine, guitars have tone, and the music is rhythmic with a good beat.
I think it's going to be a bit special ....

DSCN2468.JPG

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #7,273 of 9,515
Thank you for the description of your orchid, I can tell you really enjoy the presentation of that DAC! So much info condensed in your post--have started looking at DDCs- have not really looked into them before, figured unison in a yggy would be sufficient. Glad to hear that the Orchid also works well with your speakers--I have an older set of B&Ws that can draw blood if not tightly controlled, wouldn't mind turning the Orchid loose on those. With the Verites what amps were you using with the DAC--SS, tube?

Yes they can! Brent recommended the recent tubes for my EMP upgrade. He was very helpful and actually talked me down from going a little too heavy into the British Brimar/Mullard sound. His thinking was the Amperex would balance the lushness of the Brimar--add a bit of punch. I have been quite pleased with the result and really look forward to pairing the Verites with this amp. Received an email tonight that my Verites have entered the sanding and finishing stage!

The world of tubes is filled with savants, seers, rogues and scoundrels. Brent is that rare tube vendor who tells you exactly what he knows, regardless of the prices being discussed. His tubes are certainly not cheap, but they're also thoroughly tested and vetted by someone who knows the NOS & used tube business inside/out. He's never led me wrong...

I've had a series of passive speakers here in recent years, all sealed/acoustic suspension design (which works best in my ltd space and sounds amazing). One of those speakers, the ATC SCM12 Pro passive studio monitors, are straight out of the "The facts--nothing but the facts" school of sonic honesty. I heard absolutely everything in my system through the ATCs. And the MHDT Labs Orchid sounded terrific then, as it does now w/different speakers (vintage KEF 103.2s).

Yes, with "accurate"-sounding speakers like the ATCs & your B&Ws, IMO it helps to balance out the overall sound by adding either a good multibit DAC or (my preference) a good NOS DAC. They sound more natural to me than delta/sigma ever did.

As for Unison on the Yggdrasil, that probably would be sufficient instead of a DDC or SPDIF converter. There are a few DACs about which one could say that--DACs with well designed USB input circuits not dependent on off-the-shelf boards.

I had Urban Hi-Fi, US distributor for MHDT Labs, mod my Orchid by adding a 2nd RCA output pair (that cost $100 on top of price of the DAC). That is so worth doing, since I can use any two of my seven HP amps/preamps with the Orchid at a time. Almost always I have the Violectric V281 as my main HP amp & system preamp (it is superb at both); 2nd amp rotates all the time. Often it's the Woo WA3 OTL tube amp or the Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2.

The Verite, like the Aeolus, is one of those wonderful headphones that sounds pretty amazing on any amp you throw at it. These are the least amp-picky headphones I've ever encountered.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #7,274 of 9,515
I was also afraid of doubling tube gears, but it works amazingly. In Orchid I use Siemens cca and mullards cv2493 (these are ecc88 equivalents so adapter is needed). I will experiment with tubes later, I have just bought Raytheon 5670 and would like to try WE396 as well.

I will write about my system in a while, once I am done with all cables selection
I would be curious how the Raytheon changes things up... The EMP came w/GE/Tesla combo, tried some cheap Russians long time ago--they were accurate but on the thin side.
Definitely look forward to hearing your thoughts on your system once the dust settles with cable selection.

The Verite, like the Aeolus, is one of those wonderful headphones that sounds pretty amazing on any amp you throw at it. These are the least amp-picky headphones I've ever encountered.
Very happy to hear this as most of my equipment is pretty old-- 20+ years. Picked up that E30 a couple months ago to tide me over while I took stock and tried to assess my equipment as well as what's been going on in audio for the last 2 decades. TBH it's a little overwhelming. So many (new to me) boutique names to sift through. Streamers, DACs, R2R, DDCs, XLR...good grief

I think I would prefer your vintage KEF 103.2s--I originally got those B&Ws for my father-in-law who was blind--figured this guy deserves some really good speakers. Never really listened to them till after he passed--jeez they're bright.

Adding the 2nd RCA output to your Orchid, brilliant! :thumbsup: Such a smart idea! I think I recall reading there are few outfits/people doing worthwhile mods to the Orchid (Someone in Tennessee...?)

Very nice HP amp collection, the Violectric V281 looks particularly robust, I like! I wouldn't be surprised if you told me it could drive your speakers, that thing looks industrial (in a very good way)! For SS I have an old Grado RA-1. It still works pretty well with an old set of RS1s... as long as you have a couple charged 9v batteries for it, lol.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #7,275 of 9,515
Very interesting amp.
"Supercharging" the valve almost certainly means giving it an active load; I do this a lot using a pentode, it makes a great single stage preamp. Here it is evidently done with a transistor, op amp or CCS circuit. They have done well to get the output impedance low enough. Personally I have reservations about the 6080 as it has very low gain, and gain can reduce distortion in an output buffer. So to get the low output impedance without such an output buffer is likely a good thing.
I do very much like that it has no electrolytic caps in the power supply and signal path! But there is one other OTL amp that does this (shown above). :wink:
I would not like to comment on the rectifier without hearing it, but I know that solid state can have its virtues if well engineered, and they seem to have done a very good job here of damping out the issues with solid state rectifiers. They know what they are doing.
Looks like a very fine amp to me (and I don't say that very often). Only let down by the Alps blue pot which, in spite of the name, is not good. Anyone getting this amp should definitely go for the stepped attenuator, and owners might consider getting this change done by the manufacturer, it is well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back