ZMF Verite Open
Feb 13, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #5,896 of 9,561
Hey all, I’m facing a dilemma and need your help with making a decision. I’m thinking of getting a DAC and amp for my VO and Aeolus. Normally I would’ve gone for the Bifrost 2 with an Elise/Euforia/new McIntosh MHA200(depending on reviews), but I may have to move countries in the near future and that puts me in a tough spot. If I buy them here in the US but have to move later this year or sometime next year, then I have to either figure out a way to convert them to 230V 50Hz from 110V 60Hz or sell them. The other option is to wait and buy after the move, but that’s precious time lost that I could be listening to my new setup, as I’m not moving immediately. As an alternative, I was looking at the Hugo TT 2 which has some fantastic reviews and uses an external power supply that supports 110-230V. Its integrated setup and not very large size means it’d also be easy to move around when needed. Cons of the TT2 would be the increased price and its solid state nature vs tubes.

Now what do you guys think? Would the TT2 be an overpriced downgrade compared to the Bifrost 2 + tubes setup? Or would it be worth the price? Any other suggestions?
With the VO I came to an end point with Benchmark DAC3 and HPA4 / Feliks Euforia. The amps sound different for different moments/music, but both are top notch.
Anyway, the Benchmark stuff is autoranging in voltage, you can use them everywhere. So the DAC3, at least, I think it's a good option.

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #5,897 of 9,561
Desert ironwood VO recently arrived! I'm really enjoying how full they sound, especially in the lower midrange. They are definitely on the heavy side at around 590g, but the weight is distributed surprisingly well (although co-pilot pad is in consideration). I love the way they clamp onto my head while remaining comfortable, compared to my HD800's where the comfort is awesome but the clamp is lacking. There is something magical about being able to jam out hard without worrying about headphones flying off..

image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPG

Just beautiful!

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #5,898 of 9,561
Many more Ironwood going out this week!
[/QUOTE]
I can't wait for mine......I hope I am one of the lucky ones!!!

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #5,899 of 9,561
I have a Rogue RH-5 on the way. I think it is going to be a great pairing.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #5,900 of 9,561
I have a Rogue RH-5 on the way. I think it is going to be a great pairing.

Congrats! I truly think the RH-5 is seriously underrated and forgotten about. I suggest thinking about a really good pair of NOS tubes to really bring out the best.

With Verite expect a huge wide soundstage. The Verite's speed is also on full display with the RH-5. Really a great pairing!

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #5,901 of 9,561
Congrats! I truly think the RH-5 is seriously underrated and forgotten about. I suggest thinking about a really good pair of NOS tubes to really bring out the best.

With Verite expect a huge wide soundstage. The Verite's speed is also on full display with the RH-5. Really a great pairing!
Thanks for the recommendation. I also really appreciate your kind works regarding the pairing. I am really looking forward to it.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #5,902 of 9,561
The wait is well worth it! I'm currently driving them with a denafrips ares II into thx 789/bottlehead crack + sb. I haven't done much back and forth between the two amps yet, but so far I am especially enjoying them out of the BHC setup!

As for pads I just swapped on the BE2 perf hybrids as a hopeful mid ground between the stock universe and verite pads. From the stock pads, I prefer the verite pads for their vocal emphasis. The universe pads have a tad much reverb/3d effect for my personal preference, but they make the headphones so comfortable!
That reverb/3d effect intrigues me. I think I'm enjoying the subjective more than the objective part of the hobby these days.

I listen to my Eikon off a BHC and have been loving the combo. The stage from the Eikon is enormous for a closed back.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #5,904 of 9,561
Anyone heard the LCD3 and can compare the bass to VO? I love the bass of my LCD3 and don’t want to give that up but getting the itch to try something new and my decision is between VO and Empyrean. Unfortunately I can’t audition either of these.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #5,905 of 9,561
Anyone heard the LCD3 and can compare the bass to VO? I love the bass of my LCD3 and don’t want to give that up but getting the itch to try something new and my decision is between VO and Empyrean. Unfortunately I can’t audition either of these.
What kind of amp are you using? The Meze might jive better with whatever you are using with the LCD. Also consider you can always use EQ. The VO will likely provide a much larger soundstage.

I use a Loki with my HD800 and it gives the best of all worlds when I want some extra bass boost.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #5,906 of 9,561
Right now I have a TT2, Gumby A2, Auralic Taurus, HD800 and LCD3, but planning to live with TT2 and one headphone. My headphones are probably 2 generations behind the latest and greatest so it’s time to upgrade and experience new tech. I listen to the LCD3 90% of the time although the HD800 can be special on the right recordings, I’m okay missing some technical performance for musicality. I’m looking for a great all rounder something that’s between the lcd3 and hd800 but tilting more to lcd3 if that make sense. From everything I’ve read it seems that Empy and VO fit that description, some other halo products (d8000 pro, susvara, phi tc) are out of reach.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #5,907 of 9,561
what kind of music you mostly listen to? DD bass is very different to planar bass....

but if you really like you bass.... then I think VC is closer to what you're after

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #5,908 of 9,561
what kind of music you mostly listen to? DD bass is very different to planar bass....

but if you really like you bass.... then I think VC is closer to what you're after

VC was another consideration, I hadn’t ruled it out entirely. I listen to genres from hip-hop to jazz, rock and pop. I wouldn’t consider myself to be a bass head but I like the impact of the planar, the hd800 has bass that’s tight and detailed but doesn’t have the same impact. My perfect headphone would be the best characteristics of both which I don’t believe exists, so if I have to sacrifice something it’s the wider soundstage and some treble/air which can be fatiguing on bad recordings and sometimes really special. There’s an argument to having multiple pairs of headphones for those occasions but I’m finding it harder to justify and hope I can pool my funds to get one headphone that’s better than each even if it’s not as good at the one thing each headphone does special.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #5,909 of 9,561
VC was another consideration, I hadn’t ruled it out entirely. I listen to genres from hip-hop to jazz, rock and pop. I wouldn’t consider myself to be a bass head but I like the impact of the planar, the hd800 has bass that’s tight and detailed but doesn’t have the same impact. My perfect headphone would be the best characteristics of both which I don’t believe exists, so if I have to sacrifice something it’s the wider soundstage and some treble/air which can be fatiguing on bad recordings and sometimes really special. There’s an argument to having multiple pairs of headphones for those occasions but I’m finding it harder to justify and hope I can pool my funds to get one headphone that’s better than each even if it’s not as good at the one thing each headphone does special.
I own both HD800S and VC. And, I listen to most of the same music as you. I also listen to a lot of Classical music. I think you might like the VC. You do need to be patient in trying out different pad and amp combinations to get the right sound. But, when you get it right, it really works well. But, my HD800S are complementary headphones to the VC. I need both of them to be complete. If I wanted to go to one pair of headphones, I probably would not pick the VC.

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #5,910 of 9,561
I own both HD800S and VC. And, I listen to most of the same music as you. I also listen to a lot of Classical music. I think you might like the VC. You do need to be patient in trying out different pad and amp combinations to get the right sound. But, when you get it right, it really works well. But, my HD800S are complementary headphones to the VC. I need both of them to be complete. If I wanted to go to one pair of headphones, I probably would not pick the VC.

I understand....I would probably keep the HD800 even though they aren’t used often because I feel that no other headphone can do what they do, even if there are other short comings. Unfortunately I simply don’t have as much time to dedicate to the hobby so I need a setup that I can just enjoy and not worry about trying to extract that last bit of performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back