ZMF Verite Open
Feb 17, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #5,926 of 9,561
Anyone heard the LCD3 and can compare the bass to VO? I love the bass of my LCD3 and don’t want to give that up but getting the itch to try something new and my decision is between VO and Empyrean. Unfortunately I can’t audition either of these.

I had a lovely pre-fazor LCD-3 for a couple years (since sold). Had the Empyrean much of 2019. Now have a silkwood VO (among others). Never had the chance to compare the LCD-3 & VO. That would have been a fascinating comparison.

The LCD-3 is a planar and thus has subtle but meaningful differences in sound vs any dynamic. Having said that, I'd say the bass between the LCD-3 & VO would be a very close call (quality & quantity). Both have bass that I would consider relatively neutral, not exaggerated, with no particular frequencies jumping out. Both readily convey the correct timbre of bass instruments and subtle nuances of bass notes (plucked strings of standup bass, for example). They both have some sub-bass, though not in record territory like others (Ori; Eikon). However, those driver differences matter in the bass:
  • The LCD-3 has typical low distortion planar bass that rises out of blackness and briefly pressures my ears. Planar bass doesn't bounce into my ears, as it does from dynamic drivers--instead, it very briefly presses against them, for lack of a better description (I find this difference very easy to hear but hard to describe)
  • VO bass is very tuneful & solid on every genre. I'm a borderline basshead but never find fault w/VO bass. That's probably because it sounds rather amazing, top to bottom.
Both LCD-3 and VO absolutely kill on classical music: orchestral, choral, opera, you name it. The LCD-3 is at its finest in this genre, maybe pulling very slightly ahead of the VO or nearly any other HP (close call).

But the biggest difference between these headphones IMO is something above & beyond tonality, bass, etc: it's dynamics. When I played any music with a strong pulse and big/deep bass on the LCD-3, it refused to "go there." The macrodynamics didn't scale up to match those genres...the LCD-3 never woke up and boogied, no matter what volume level I used. By comparison, the VO will readily rev up & jump higher with all those genres. In fact, the VO is one of the few headphones that sounds terrific on every genre I try.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #5,927 of 9,561
I am sending out a sample amp and should get results back of how the VO compares to Focal Utopia's. Most likely the VO will be my next choice in headphones. I generally massage bass boost and aggressive mids with driver tube changes. I am also a fan of those working with quality hardwoods since it is a passion of mine as well. :ksc75smile:

Now if I could get matching honey locust, that would be ideal.

HL cabinet.jpg

That's an amp? Damn! My eyeballs are hugging that beautiful thing...

Feb 17, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #5,928 of 9,561
That's an amp? Damn! My eyeballs are hugging that beautiful thing...
One of my designs, I do have a sample that will be heading for Vermont soon. I only did it in leopard wood though.

Lacewood 8.jpg

They are made to show off the 6sn7 tube, I will accept offers on this one, not the honey locust, it is mine. :ksc75smile:

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #5,929 of 9,561
One of my designs, I do have a sample that will be heading for Vermont soon. I only did it in leopard wood though.

Lacewood 8.jpg

They are made to show off the 6sn7 tube, I will accept offers on this one, not the honey locust, it is mine. :ksc75smile:

Contrasting splines are a very nice touch, aesthetically & mechanically.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #5,930 of 9,561
Feb 17, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #5,931 of 9,561
Those are absolutely gorgeous.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #5,932 of 9,561
Those are absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks I have done nearly 50 builds and the Focal Utopias really open up the high end on the amps. I am hoping the VO’s do the same. I use copper plate fairly often and add a patina or brush it.E8D03E0A-A744-43D1-9006-0597E4F7A80F.jpeg5B0632E6-47A8-4988-8AF6-4D800018DAD3.jpeg

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #5,933 of 9,561
Has anyone else received their desert ironwood VOs? Please share more pics! I just received email notification that mine have shipped out and I am super excited!

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #5,934 of 9,561
I think I'm getting restless and itching to order my vo desert ironwood. My only concern is the weight, as my lcd-x causes neck pain after using it for an hour. Can anyone plz elaborate on the ironwood vo weight and comfort level?

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #5,935 of 9,561
I think I'm getting restless and itching to order my vo desert ironwood. My only concern is the weight, as my lcd-x causes neck pain after using it for an hour. Can anyone plz elaborate on the ironwood vo weight and comfort level?
Audeze is a train wreck for comfort, I've found. Even headphones that weigh more from other manufacturers are often more comfortable. That's certainly the case with the VO. It sits well balanced on the head, and feels much lighter than it is. I give the nod to any ZMF over most Audeze.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #5,936 of 9,561

I personally find the VO to be extremely comfortable and the weight has never been an issue, even with a blackwood pair that I briefly owned. That said, if you’ve experienced neck pain from any headphones I’d highly recommend going with the silkwood. It’s a lot lighter than the ironwood, which is one of the most dense woods ZMF has ever used. I personally prefer the sound of the lighter wood. Either way I would think that peace of mind and freedom from neck pain would be much more important than going with a heavier limited wood.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #5,937 of 9,561
When I was first getting into headphones and tried out the LCD-X I couldn't wait to get it off and couldn't have imagined owning it, though sounded amazing. My stabilized VC is around the weight of the ironwood VO. I specifically have neck disc issues, though less so 2 years ago when I tried the LCD-X. Approaching 600g is about all I can take, though even my heaviest have been nothing like the Audeze and the co-pilot helps. So the VC is quite comfortable. That said, whenever I switch to my silkwood VO I immediately notice and appreciate how light it feels. I also tend to use headphones several hours per day most days. For myself, I wouldn't want that weight on my VO too. If I didn't wear them so much I'd be much more inclined to go with ironwood.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #5,938 of 9,561
I have had the same initial concern about weight of VO Desert Wood as well. That's why I bought the VO Camphor Burl instead. A nice compromise between hard and soft wood in terms of weight/sound decay. Co-pilot for sure helps in addressing any weight distribution issue. I use it with my Aeolus; not so much for the VO CB (that comes with magnesium chassis).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #5,939 of 9,561
Has anyone else received their desert ironwood VOs? Please share more pics! I just received email notification that mine have shipped out and I am super excited!
Same, also received notice from DHL

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #5,940 of 9,561
I ride a motorcycle so putting 1kg+ helmet ain't such a big deal compared to few 100g headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back