ZMF Verite Open
Feb 12, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #5,866 of 9,561
people that say Pegasus is a scam i think they got a broken unit, but who know maybe it is scam.
any recommendation for R2R DAC

It would help if you could provide more information regarding your sound preference and your past gear/experiences for reference we can make a better recommendation. For starters why do you want R2R? Is there a particular trait that draws you towards the R2R over Delta Sigma? Buzz words like these tend to confuse even experienced hobbyist so all the more important to state your preference. Nevertheless here are some dacs that I personally think fit the Verite.

I'd recommend either the Bifrost 2 or RME ADI 2. Bifrost 2 has a slightly denser tonality and have a slightly deeper stage when compared to the RME it can come across as a bit darkish especially when paired with Verite. The RME is more neutral and a tad more forward sounding then the Bifrost. Feature wise the RME trumps the Bifrost. The RME comes equipped with a built in amp which provides enough power to drive most headphones yet quiet enough to drive sensitive iems but it does sound a bit boring. It also comes with a parametric eq which makes for an attractive AIO unit.

Both are very popular and a good match with the Verite so pick your poison. It should be easy to find reviews of these 2 units online so do your own research before pulling the trigger.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #5,867 of 9,561
Schiit Bifrost. Newest version.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #5,868 of 9,561
I would consider separate units. That way if you find an amp or dac you like you don’t have to replace it when you decide to upgrade the other component.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #5,869 of 9,561
Also many people enjoy having several amps. SS and tubes. A separate dac enables you to change amps while sticking with one dac.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #5,870 of 9,561
I would consider separate units. That way if you find an amp or dac you like you don’t have to replace it when you decide to upgrade the other component.
@JLoud makes a good point. If you a higher budget than what I was making recommendations around, I'd go separate, too.

Personally, I have a real affinity for the HDVA 600 from Sennheiser. It can be found used for fairly inexpensive and you can power 4 headphones simultaneously. I've really enjoyed it when A/B testing between headphones. It's the analog amp only. There is also the HDVD lineup which includes an onboard DAC.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #5,871 of 9,561
tnx for replys, Schiit Bifrost is a good start,
first I wanted to buy a flux FA-10 amp and Pegasus but I changed my mind I think VO is better with tube amp so I opted for Pendant or for Euforia I lean more for Pendant because it is built for VO,I want a DAC that will complement Pendant

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #5,872 of 9,561
I don't personally own the VO yet (it's on order, but I do own the Eikon, Utopia, and HD800), but I'd encourage you to purchase a DAC that also has an amp (unless you have a separate SS amp). I've found that it's helpful to have a SS source for A/B testing against a tube amp. Having a 'control' source allows you to better hear the difference between different tube combos because it gives you a constant source to compare against.

The RME ADI-2 ($1250usd) or Topping DX7Pro ($650usd) would be good to consider. There are plenty more expensive DACs out there, but those are two worth consideration.

What's your budget?
I do not recall if I sent you the results of a DAC comparison test some local friends and I did but you have named two DACS that scored quite well considering there were some $2,000 to $5,000 DACS involved. Aqua La Voce S3 finished at the top. As far as bang for the buck, you nailed it.

I do not own many solid state amps but I do have a Whammy (designed by an engineer from Pass Labs), and two mono Nuforce Class A amps somewhere.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #5,873 of 9,561
I do not recall if I sent you the results of a DAC comparison test some local friends and I did but you have named two DACS that scored quite well considering there were some $2,000 to $5,000 DACS involved. Aqua La Voce S3 finished at the top. As far as bang for the buck, you nailed it.

I do not own many solid state amps but I do have a Whammy (designed by an engineer from Pass Labs), and two mono Nuforce Class A amps somewhere.
I have heard a few nice DACs but always found the DX7Pro to sound about as good. I'm just gonna give the input from the DAC a warm bath with tube bubbles before it hits my headphones anyway. :)

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #5,874 of 9,561
I have heard a few nice DACs but always found the DX7Pro to sound about as good. I'm just gonna give the input from the DAC a warm bath with tube bubbles before it hits my headphones anyway. :)
A wise man you are. Other than my DAC’s, it is all tubes for me.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #5,875 of 9,561
people that say Pegasus is a scam i think they got a broken unit, but who know maybe it is scam.
any recommendation for R2R DAC
apart from Denafrips you can also try Schiit Gungnir if you don't have 384khz or DSD files...

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #5,876 of 9,561
apart from Denafrips you can also try Schiit Gungnir if you don't have 384khz or DSD files...
I like the Gungnir, and own it and the Bifrost 2. I have spent time with the Yggy but it lacked vibrance for me, less musical IMHO.

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #5,877 of 9,561
my budget is 1000-1500 eu .
I had in mind ;
-Holo Audio CYAN (€ 1,349)
-MUSICIAN PEGASUS (1100usd)
-Audio-GD - R8 2021 (€ 1,690)
I mainly lean towards MUSICIAN PEGASUS it has NOS function and it is cheap. What do you say about the synergy between Euforia(Pendant), VO, and Musican Pegasus.
What do you think which amp is better for VO, Euforia or ZMF Pendant
Any advice is welcome
if you want affordable NOS DAC: I don't own it but am intrigued by Singxer DSA-2 NOS DAC w/SS headphone amp. at a good price. I have a Singxer DDC (SU-1) and have been very happy with it, feeding a Matrix DAC and Feliks Elise.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #5,879 of 9,561
I don't have a WA22 but I had a WA5 and now a WA33. The VO sounded great with both. The guys with WA22s were very active on the Woo owners thread before they started their own thread just for the WA22. From my reading of their posts the WA22 is ok but does not approach very good unless you are willing to spend at least as much and usually more on upgrade tubes as the WA22 cost in the first place. I would think the WA22 also would work well with the VO but not until you have the amp sorted with better tubes.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #5,880 of 9,561
I don't have a WA22 but I had a WA5 and now a WA33. The VO sounded great with both. The guys with WA22s were very active on the Woo owners thread before they started their own thread just for the WA22. From my reading of their posts the WA22 is ok but does not approach very good unless you are willing to spend at least as much and usually more on upgrade tubes as the WA22 cost in the first place. I would think the WA22 also would work well with the VO but not until you have the amp sorted with better tubes.
tnx so it's a better Pendant for VO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back