ZMF Verite Open
Feb 9, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #5,851 of 9,561
I appreciate the input.

I just purchased a Utopia, too. Are you using an adapter to go from mini-XLR to lemo connectors on that Verite Silver cable?

Yesterday was my first day with serious listening to the Utopia. I was skeptical but got a good deal and thought 'I can sell this back for what I'm paying for it' (audiophile rationale). First impressions are really damn good, though. Through my tube amp built by @Paladin79 the Utopia absolutely shines. I also really enjoyed it through the HDVA 600 amp from Sennheiser. In using it SE through my Topping DX7Pro, it was a big step down. The fact that it makes sources really shine is both good and bad, I suppose.

Listening to the Utopia this morning off of a 421a power tube and '42 RCA grey glass 6sn7, I found that the amp was more detailed than the HD800 and that there is much more authority. The soundstage is much smaller and I think that contributes to the greater 'impact' behind the music. You are in the music, rather than being in front of the music or with it being spread widely around you. Doing some A/B testing vs. the HD800 I found the overall sound of the Utopia to be more engaging, but I could definitely see where certain orchestral works need more soundstage than what is afforded by the Utopia. The HD800 is more diffuse, and that can be helpful or a hindrance.

The bass was WAY more forceful on the Utopia and had more detail than the HD800.

I actually think the HD800 is a more relaxed, laid-back headphone when driven off of a warm tube than the Utopia and I could see the merits of both headphones. For relaxed listening, I think I'd prefer the HD800. I realize this is not something people usually say about the HD800 :)

All this to say, I'm really looking forward to receiving the Verite open in desert ironwood. After buying the Eikon, I'm so impressed with the soundstage on those headphones and I can't wait to have some open-backs from ZMF.

The Resolve Reviews video on the Verite is what sold me on buying it:

I realize that I align pretty closely with Resolve's sentiments on most headphones and his description of the Verite was pretty compelling.

Verite are the only other headphones I would consider right now, and I dearly do love the Utopia with the Incubus. Pop a Melz 1578 in with the 421A if you have one lol, depending on the year, you might just be impressed. :L3000:

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #5,852 of 9,561
Also there's never an endgame headphone imho..... one headphone is good for a several genres but not all...

I always thought this way--and then I got a blackwood Aeolus, and later on, a silkwood VO. They have a different mix of strengths and do sound somewhat different: but both headphones please me on every genre I try. Neither one does an outright "fail" on any music, not even close.

That's quite an achievement in my book...

PS: can't wait to hear what you think of the desert ironwood VO (that wood is crazy/beautiful IMO)

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #5,854 of 9,561
I appreciate the input.

I just purchased a Utopia, too. Are you using an adapter to go from mini-XLR to lemo connectors on that Verite Silver cable?

Yesterday was my first day with serious listening to the Utopia. I was skeptical but got a good deal and thought 'I can sell this back for what I'm paying for it' (audiophile rationale). First impressions are really damn good, though. Through my tube amp built by @Paladin79 the Utopia absolutely shines. I also really enjoyed it through the HDVA 600 amp from Sennheiser. In using it SE through my Topping DX7Pro, it was a big step down. The fact that it makes sources really shine is both good and bad, I suppose.

Listening to the Utopia this morning off of a 421a power tube and '42 RCA grey glass 6sn7, I found that the amp was more detailed than the HD800 and that there is much more authority. The soundstage is much smaller and I think that contributes to the greater 'impact' behind the music. You are in the music, rather than being in front of the music or with it being spread widely around you. Doing some A/B testing vs. the HD800 I found the overall sound of the Utopia to be more engaging, but I could definitely see where certain orchestral works need more soundstage than what is afforded by the Utopia. The HD800 is more diffuse, and that can be helpful or a hindrance.

The bass was WAY more forceful on the Utopia and had more detail than the HD800.

I actually think the HD800 is a more relaxed, laid-back headphone when driven off of a warm tube than the Utopia and I could see the merits of both headphones. For relaxed listening, I think I'd prefer the HD800. I realize this is not something people usually say about the HD800 :)

All this to say, I'm really looking forward to receiving the Verite open in desert ironwood. After buying the Eikon, I'm so impressed with the soundstage on those headphones and I can't wait to have some open-backs from ZMF.

The Resolve Reviews video on the Verite is what sold me on buying it:

I realize that I align pretty closely with Resolve's sentiments on most headphones and his description of the Verite was pretty compelling.

yes, I got the lemo-mini xlr adapter, not too convenient but gets the job done....

yes Utopia gives me a full on close up experience as you described... when i auditioned the headphone, i played Beethoven Emperor piano concerto - Yundi Li..... it was as if i was inside/beside the piano with every nuance being projected into my ears... also now playing Bach Chaconne - Midori i can feel her violin swaying around the mic not by the sound itself but by the sound pressure of her violin projects on to my head... so sometimes i find it can be bit tiring listening to Utopia as there's so much information attacking my senses.... so I hope VO can give me slightly less intense experience but still very musical and enjoyable

I also think Resolve - Andrew's listening preference is similar to mine as his reviews on a few of the headphones/iems are very close to my findings as well..... but he likes to EQ his gears which I don't that's the main difference.

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #5,855 of 9,561
I always thought this way--and then I got a blackwood Aeolus, and later on, a silkwood VO. They have a different mix of strengths and do sound somewhat different: but both headphones please me on every genre I try. Neither one does an outright "fail" on any music, not even close.

That's quite an achievement in my book...

PS: can't wait to hear what you think of the desert ironwood VO (that wood is crazy/beautiful IMO)

Also depends on the mood @ that moment.... sometimes i like intense listening sessions and others more relaxing, different cans/amps give me the combination to try.... now just need to find my ideal OT tube amp...

when living in Australia, we get used to 'wait patiently' on anything..... once i waited 10 months for a VW Golf... but the worst thing about waiting is during the burn in period.... every new headphone i had to zip it into a case for at least a week before i listen to it.... such torture

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #5,856 of 9,561
Verite are the only other headphones I would consider right now, and I dearly do love the Utopia with the Incubus. Pop a Melz 1578 in with the 421A if you have one lol, depending on the year, you might just be impressed. :L3000:
I'm beginning to think you are Russian spy with your love of Russian tubes...

Also, I have a Melz that I bought from you :) Listening to it now and yes, it does sound good.

I'll let you borrow the VO after I've had some time with it if you like. In exchange I'll request you to build a sideways amp like @bcowen.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #5,857 of 9,561
I'm beginning to think you are Russian spy with your love of Russian tubes...
:ksc75smile:
LOL well to be fair, I listen to a lot of 6sn7 equivalents from all over the world. I send tubes I like to others who oftentimes rate them very high. I designed the tube amp you are using and I know what I like in the way of tubes but YMMV. Local friends use a scoring system that puts certain Melz tubes with an Incubus amp and HD800 headphones on a certain level, now if we could afford four sets of Verite or Utopias, I doubt seriously their love of specific tubes would lessen but it could happen.

Those Russian tubes have their faults, often the solder in the pins is an issue so I had to work hard to find ways to replace it so they tubes could live on. Recently I have heard others talk of Tung Sol 5998's with similar issues. I try to be objective in a subjective area.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #5,860 of 9,561
Hi ,
which DAC would recommend with Felix Euforia and if it matches well with VO
I don't personally own the VO yet (it's on order, but I do own the Eikon, Utopia, and HD800), but I'd encourage you to purchase a DAC that also has an amp (unless you have a separate SS amp). I've found that it's helpful to have a SS source for A/B testing against a tube amp. Having a 'control' source allows you to better hear the difference between different tube combos because it gives you a constant source to compare against.

The RME ADI-2 ($1250usd) or Topping DX7Pro ($650usd) would be good to consider. There are plenty more expensive DACs out there, but those are two worth consideration.

What's your budget?

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #5,861 of 9,561
I don't personally own the VO yet (it's on order, but I do own the Eikon, Utopia, and HD800), but I'd encourage you to purchase a DAC that also has an amp (unless you have a separate SS amp). I've found that it's helpful to have a SS source for A/B testing against a tube amp. Having a 'control' source allows you to better hear the difference between different tube combos because it gives you a constant source to compare against.

The RME ADI-2 ($1250usd) or Topping DX7Pro ($650usd) would be good to consider. There are plenty more expensive DACs out there, but those are two worth consideration.

What's your budget?

my budget is 1000-1500 eu .
I had in mind ;
-Holo Audio CYAN (€ 1,349)
-MUSICIAN PEGASUS (1100usd)
-Audio-GD - R8 2021 (€ 1,690)
I mainly lean towards MUSICIAN PEGASUS it has NOS function and it is cheap. What do you say about the synergy between Euforia(Pendant), VO, and Musican Pegasus.
What do you think which amp is better for VO, Euforia or ZMF Pendant
Any advice is welcome

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #5,862 of 9,561
my budget is 1000-1500 eu .
I had in mind ;
-Holo Audio CYAN (€ 1,349)
-MUSICIAN PEGASUS (1100usd)
-Audio-GD - R8 2021 (€ 1,690)
I mainly lean towards MUSICIAN PEGASUS it has NOS function and it is cheap. What do you say about the synergy between Euforia(Pendant), VO, and Musican Pegasus.
What do you think which amp is better for VO, Euforia or ZMF Pendant
Any advice is welcome

for R2R DACs, you can also look at Denafrips Ares II or Pontus II

Feb 12, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #5,864 of 9,561

Users who are viewing this thread

Back