ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 6, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #11,161 of 12,549
Do ZMF headphones still have issues with paint chips on there magnesium chassis, only asking as i am looking for a pair and can only find ones with mag. chassis.
Really don't like the idea of being careful when adjusting as per ZMF video states, and then using a pen to cover it up .
No current issues with paint chips, we made a significant change about 2 yrs ago to the shape and finish, only early mag chassis with "hard edges" had paint that could wear on the edges. That being said, if you slam the headphone around you may get wear, regardless of finish, and on the inverse, I've seen many OG mag chassis sets that are still flawless due to owner care.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 6, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #11,162 of 12,549
76DB5C07-1777-430B-93FC-044A08F97036.jpeg
My kids aren’t the only ones having picture day…My Verite “Antiquity” from the last Hot Cup Summer 👌

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #11,164 of 12,549
My kids aren’t the only ones having picture day…My Verite “Antiquity” from the last Hot Cup Summer 👌
Gorgeous. The VC's cup shape seems the nicest to me for showcasing that they're made of wood.

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #11,166 of 12,549
I adore Zach's wood cup designs. Next year will be particularly exciting for me.
Atrium and Caldera Closed!! (and the new sub-$1k? I can't remember if it's been said if that'll be closed-back or not) :hugging: 2023 going to be a good year.

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #11,167 of 12,549
I can't wait to see what the design differences are from the Verite Closed. I know Zach will come up with something breathtaking in terms sound and looks!

Nov 7, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #11,169 of 12,549
Verite Closed or wait for Atrium Closed my dilemma for my first ever ZMF
Well, since the Atrium Closed doesn't exist yet, all we can do is speculate. I suspect that the Atrium Closed with have more presence in the miss & upper mids if we extrapolate from the Atrium vs VO & VC. It'll probably also have some delicious slam, and wider stage.

VC will probably have the edge on speed & resolution, and slightly wider bandwidth.

Those are my predictions -- now watch me be waaay off with these guesses. :wink:

All that being said, tonight has been one of those "one more track..." kind of nights with the BH Crackatwoa.

PXL_20221107_080424599.jpg

I haven't been able to really enjoy this combo for several weeks due to a move, and coming back reminds me of just how damn good the VC is...
I wasn't at all surprised to see the VC as one of the top picks in a recent headphone show video for best closed backs of 2022.

Anyway, I need to try to strip my ears of these and get to bed.

Nov 7, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #11,170 of 12,549
Veritie Closed or wait for Atrium Closed my dilemma for my first ever ZMF
Good dilemma to have, honestly.

And while I agree with @sp33ls above, a lot of factors contribute here (not even counting your taste in sound signature!):
- Amp (and if tube amplification, tubes)
- Source
- Cabling
- Music preferences

And so on… but high level, IF Atrium Closed takes its cues from Atrium (and the other biocellulose-driver headphones ZMF makes): Slight edge in speed/air/clarity vs. slight edge in thicker, more “present”, organic/analog sound. But again, that is a big IF.

Ultimately, the good news is that neither is a BAD choice- just comes down to what you prefer more… and how soon you are looking to enjoy a ZMF headphone. There are VCs (new and pre-owned) available immediately. 😁

Nov 7, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #11,172 of 12,549
The hybrid pads arrived.
The pads i used before:
Auteur full leather: Thick and warm, very fun and enjoyable
BE2 Suede: Bright, could not stand

The new hybrid pads are indeed in between:
Universe hybrid (non angled): More neutral, less warm than the full leather but nowhere near as bright as the BE2 and still fun, they sound great.
Auteur hybrid (angled): Very hard to tell the difference, website says a bit more open and slightly more W-shaped. Maybe, i don't know after one swap and i won't switch them 5x to find out.

The difference between the hybrid pads seems minor.
I keep the Universe hybrid on for now (so i have the other as a reserve) and if i want a warmer tone i swap to the previous Auteur full leather. BE2 can suck my...

:edit:
Swapped the hybrid pads one more time and yes, the soundstage is a bit bigger on the Auteur hybrid than on the Universe hybrid, tonally they may sound a bit fuller than the other hybrid pads but nowhere close to the full leather ones. I keep these ones on, Auteur hybrid pads.

All in all a fantastic headphone and i will enjoy it a lot with my Echo 2.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #11,173 of 12,549
Hello all - I’ve been interested in ZMF, particularly the furore around the VC but I’m after some advice (or maybe tough love.)

Essentially, can I properly drive VC using a Hugo2go and get the best from these high impedance cans or do I need to think about investing in an external amp? I’ve briefly flicked through the thread and the jury seems to be out on whether hugo 2 is enough power to get the best from the VC - any insight is welcome! Thanks

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #11,174 of 12,549
Essentially, can I properly drive VC using a Hugo2go and get the best from these high impedance cans or do I need to think about investing in an external amp?
The VC is pretty sensitive, so it's not difficult to drive to listening volumes. That being said, you won't be getting "the best from the VC" with the 2GO.

If you got the VC, almost everyone here would recommend powering them with a desktop amp. Bonus points if it's a tube amp, and even more bonus points if it's an OTL tube amp. :wink: Nonetheless, a good solid-state amp will also work great -- especially if they can deliver at least several hundred mW (or more) into 300 ohms. You could use the 2GO as a portable solution for when you're chilling out on your porch, couch, etc., but if you want the best, then you'll want some more [quality] juice.

I’ve been interested in ZMF, particularly the furore around the VC but I’m after some advice (or maybe tough love.)
Outta curiosity, where's this sudden furor coming about?

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #11,175 of 12,549
Hello all - I’ve been interested in ZMF, particularly the furore around the VC but I’m after some advice (or maybe tough love.)

Essentially, can I properly drive VC using a Hugo2go and get the best from these high impedance cans or do I need to think about investing in an external amp? I’ve briefly flicked through the thread and the jury seems to be out on whether hugo 2 is enough power to get the best from the VC - any insight is welcome! Thanks
VC + Hugo 2 works great for me:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back