ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 20, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #10,651 of 12,524
and Westinghouse (?).
Most likely a Sylvania rebrand, perhaps a National Union.

As others have mentioned, give the VC about two hundred hours of burn-in and you will be rewarded.

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #10,652 of 12,524
FedEx just delivered my VC’s. Already listening to them while working. Using my Aurender n200, Holo May Kitsune and Wu33 elite JPS edition with KR tunes and Westinghouse (?). Obviously not broken in….first impression…quick, lacks the punch I was hoping for. Tonality good. Cord is a foot too short for home listening. Doesn’t have the color and decay I like. I have 2 pads. Using the suede like currently and copper cable.

You have to take this with a grain of salt.
What wood has your VC ?

Decay is highly affected by the chosen wood for the VC. To a lower degree the output impedance of your amp effects the decay of the driver aswell.
I remember woo audio makes a secret out of their output impedances.

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #10,653 of 12,524
What wood has your VC ?

Decay is highly affected by the chosen wood for the VC. To a lower degree the output impedance of your amp effects the decay of the driver aswell.
I remember woo audio makes a secret out of their output impedances.

Sapele…??

My current system is optimized for my Susvara but the VC is sounding a little better already after about 6 hours. I’ve been powering it directly off the back of the Hugo TT2 with my adapter.

One of the amps I’ve been considering is the Feliks Envy. If that doesn’t happen I’ll get another cheaper tube amp that’s more tubey.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #10,654 of 12,524
Sapele…??

My current system is optimized for my Susvara but the VC is sounding a little better already after about 6 hours. I’ve been powering it directly off the back of the Hugo TT2 with my adapter.

One of the amps I’ve been considering is the Feliks Envy. If that doesn’t happen I’ll get another cheaper tube amp that’s more tubey.
Ah okay a stock wood VC.

Well what's your problem with the decay? Bass is too mellow and not hard hitting ?

Using suede pads smoothes the transients.

You can adjust the tone by choosing different pads and tubes.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #10,655 of 12,524
Sapele…??

Have you tried the ACME with the WA33? This should fill in some punch and provide a little more saturated warmth.

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #10,656 of 12,524
Ah okay a stock wood VC.

Well what's your problem with the decay? Bass is too mellow and not hard hitting ?

Using suede pads smoothes the transients.

You can adjust the tone by choosing different pads and tubes.
Yep, thanks. Switched to the lamb skin version now. The only other tubes I have are stock and the KR improved the the punch and energy over the stock already. I’ll play around with it over time.

Have you tried the ACME with the WA33? This should fill in some punch and provide a little more saturated warmth.

No, not familiar with it.

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #10,657 of 12,524
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #10,658 of 12,524
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #10,659 of 12,524
I’m sorry forgive me it’s late. Are you saying a 300b tube can be used within a wa33, because that’s where the link is pointing me…again it’s late and if I’m just missing something I apologize.
It is now for the 2A3. Yes, you can run 300B tubes as long as their heater is 2.5v.

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #10,660 of 12,524
As others have mentioned, give the VC about two hundred hours of burn-in and you will be rewarded.

This is so true. In was a bit dissapointed tbh at first. Buy after 50-100 hours they were starting to shine

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #10,662 of 12,524
The VC and Americana night

Bendix 6080wb+NU 6j5
GL KT77+ USAF 596

20220723_210550.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #10,663 of 12,524
i was watching 'The Originals' yesterday and a scene (in a later season) reminded me of how I might describe these headphones. Without spoiling stuff for anyone, it's someone describing the good parts of being a vampire:
Listen...*bangs on the table* If we were human, it would sound like a thud. But we hear the crisp cracking of varnish splitting off the wood. Tiny staccato echoes as the sound hits pockets where sap once flowed, and the thunderous boom of the metal legs vibrating against the floor. It used to be noise, now it's music.

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #10,664 of 12,524
OK so out of the 4 pads I've tried (Auteur Lambskin/Hybrid, Universe Lambskin/Hybrid) the winner are the Auteur Hybrids!

There is just something about the Auteur pads that I like more than anything. Well, actually, I know what that thing(s) is exactly. I also swapped my Universe Lambskin pads on my Atrium for the Auteur Lambskin pads when I still had the Atrium. The Universe pads are great for what they're trying to achieve. The sound is the most "in your face" and presents the most detail. Compared to the Auteur, the bass is more mellow and doesn't pack as much of a punch but it's very controlled/detailed still. The sound is also more "closed in" and, especially on the VC, it sounds much more like you're listening to a closed back headphone. These qualities were similar between the Universe Lambskin or Hybrid but I felt the Lambskin was a tad darker and did pack a bit more of a punch with the bass as well.

On the other hand, the sound stage on the Auteurs is definitely wider and the bass packs a larger punch and has that "wow" bass that makes me love the VC's bass over any other headphone. The Auteur Hybrids brighten things up just enough over the Lambskins exactly where I was looking for it while retaining that amazing sound stage. The bass impact/detail/layering is barely impacted when switching from Auteur Hybrid & Lambskin. Lastly, the Auteur Hybrids also show off more details than the Lambskins. I believe @heliosphann said previously that the Auteur Hybrid marries the best attributes of the Universe pads and the Auteur pads and I'd wholeheartedly agree :thumbsup:

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #10,665 of 12,524
OK so out of the 4 pads I've tried (Auteur Lambskin/Hybrid, Universe Lambskin/Hybrid) the winner are the Auteur Hybrids!

There is just something about the Auteur pads that I like more than anything. Well, actually, I know what that thing(s) is exactly. I also swapped my Universe Lambskin pads on my Atrium for the Auteur Lambskin pads when I still had the Atrium. The Universe pads are great for what they're trying to achieve. The sound is the most "in your face" and presents the most detail. Compared to the Auteur, the bass is more mellow and doesn't pack as much of a punch but it's very controlled/detailed still. The sound is also more "closed in" and, especially on the VC, it sounds much more like you're listening to a closed back headphone. These qualities were similar between the Universe Lambskin or Hybrid but I felt the Lambskin was a tad darker and did pack a bit more of a punch with the bass as well.

On the other hand, the sound stage on the Auteurs is definitely wider and the bass packs a larger punch and has that "wow" bass that makes me love the VC's bass over any other headphone. The Auteur Hybrids brighten things up just enough over the Lambskins exactly where I was looking for it while retaining that amazing sound stage. The bass impact/detail/layering is barely impacted when switching from Auteur Hybrid & Lambskin. Lastly, the Auteur Hybrids also show off more details than the Lambskins. I believe @heliosphann said previously that the Auteur Hybrid marries the best attributes of the Universe pads and the Auteur pads and I'd wholeheartedly agree :thumbsup:
So if I'm looking for just auteur lambskin but more in your face, less laid back should I be going for universe or auteur hybrid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back