ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 17, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #10,636 of 12,549
Looks like I’m jumping ship. Ended up with a VO instead of a VC (and I really mean it this time. I will not be selling it)

24E07983-FD81-442D-A17A-00F1FE0C40A4.jpeg

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #10,638 of 12,549
Jumping all-in myself with a VC as my first ZMF. Nabbed Peacock after about a dozen different ways of it looking like things went wrong during my ordering process!

Looking forward to joining the impressions! Based off the shipping estimates, this may even arrive around my birthday next month (8/14)! Lovely timing this is ending up.

congrats, peacock was probably my favourite one out of this new batch

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #10,639 of 12,549
Looks like I’m jumping ship. Ended up with a VO instead of a VC (and I really mean it this time. I will not be selling it)
Thankfully i wasn't as tempted, mostly cuz the aged copper on my current VC is stunning. Btw, i'd love for some of those extra chassis options to be available as standard, maybe someday!

On a related note: please help, i can't stop listening to my music...idk what it is about the VC, i just can't stop!

And lastly, y'all need to look up Luca Stricagnoli. He mostly does "one man band" covers, they're REALLY good and since it's mostly acoustic instruments it sounds sublime with VC

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #10,640 of 12,549
Starting my first pad rolling adventures with the VC this week! Been a big fan of the Auteur lambskins since I got the VC but since I never tried new pads I figured I'd get a few of the ones I see the most reviewed and see which ones I wind up with.

The first pads I'm starting with are the Auteur Hybrid. Later this week the Universe Lambskin and Hybrid should arrive so I'll have more impressions of those soon :). I started with the Auteur Hybrid because I already enjoyed a lot about the Lambskin but one thing I've been searching for since getting the Susvara is opening more of the "veiled" sound that I felt like the Auteur Lambskins were potentially contributing to on the VC. I also wanted to retain the things I loved about that sound signature such as the bass response/impact and the euphoric, wide sound stage. Additionally, I've been loving the comfort of the Susvara pads that are also hybrid in nature so I figured this would be the best place to start.

First and foremost, the comfort is definitely better on the Hybrids. The comfort wasn't bad whatsoever on the Lambskins but the Hybrids feel like pillows on your face and are very, very comfortable. Feels like I could wear this for quite a bit of time. As for the sound, I'm definitely liking what the Hybrids are doing here. They're brighter than the Lambskins and the vocals are definitely more forward in a positive way. I also am hearing quite a bit more detail on tracks vs. the Lambskins. The impactful bass is retained well but slightly less impactful than with the Lambskin pads. So far the Auteur Hybrids are winning for me as far as the sound signature I am looking for. Because of the increase in vocal presence, if you're particularly sensitive here then the Lambskins may be better for you since I could see it getting fatiguing depending on the sensitivity for some (Although I never really felt this yet). Lambskins definitely pull off a more relaxed, chilling by the campfire vibe compared to the Hybrids bringing more excitement, more detail, etc. so it depends on what you're searching for.

I have pad rolled before on my Atrium so I know the difference a pad can make and am happy I'm going through this experiment. Next up, time to see if the Universe Lambskin and/or Hybrid can compete with the Auteur Hybrid :)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #10,641 of 12,549
I’m so freakin’ excited for my hot cup summer VC (B+++)! I just wish there were more places to fully express my excitement! I’ve got no local audiophile friends and I’m pretty sure my wife would murder me if she found out what I just spent on these beauties. I would have loved the Prosperous, Peacock, or Canopy models from the regular release (congrats to their new owners!!!), but this Rubix fits my tastes perfectly.

I see pad rolling has been a big topic lately, and for anyone interested in thinking outside the box a bit I’ve been loving the Dekoni Elite Suede pads on my Eikon that were originally meant for Audeze. I plan to keep them when I sell the Eikon because they fit my ears the best and (to me) they sound the best of anything I’ve tried so far. You have to verrrry slowly and carefully remove the adhesive and then pull out the plastic retaining ring, but once you’ve done that they fit great. There’s a little extra material you have to fit under the lip of the ZMF earcup, but I’ve found that actually holds them in place better.

Congrats again to all the new and repeat ZMF owners! Hot cup summer was a great idea for sure @zach915m.

Attachments

• 4EABA54B-671B-4E34-AA61-4C2C816F8A52.jpeg
    4EABA54B-671B-4E34-AA61-4C2C816F8A52.jpeg
    736.6 KB · Views: 0
Jul 19, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #10,642 of 12,549
Interesting comments. I’m the opposite usually in terms of wow factor. My immediate impressions are usually “meh” or, “this could be special” but that doesn’t happen often.

I’m finally getting my VC’s next Thursday. It took just over 6 weeks from ordering to finally get a notification of shipment. Looking forward to finally hearing them.
Interesting...I'm very curious to hear your thoughts when you do get the VCs, especially after a few weeks.

Starting my first pad rolling adventures with the VC this week! Been a big fan of the Auteur lambskins since I got the VC but since I never tried new pads I figured I'd get a few of the ones I see the most reviewed and see which ones I wind up with.

The first pads I'm starting with are the Auteur Hybrid. Later this week the Universe Lambskin and Hybrid should arrive so I'll have more impressions of those soon :). I started with the Auteur Hybrid because I already enjoyed a lot about the Lambskin but one thing I've been searching for since getting the Susvara is opening more of the "veiled" sound that I felt like the Auteur Lambskins were potentially contributing to on the VC. I also wanted to retain the things I loved about that sound signature such as the bass response/impact and the euphoric, wide sound stage. Additionally, I've been loving the comfort of the Susvara pads that are also hybrid in nature so I figured this would be the best place to start.

First and foremost, the comfort is definitely better on the Hybrids. The comfort wasn't bad whatsoever on the Lambskins but the Hybrids feel like pillows on your face and are very, very comfortable. Feels like I could wear this for quite a bit of time. As for the sound, I'm definitely liking what the Hybrids are doing here. They're brighter than the Lambskins and the vocals are definitely more forward in a positive way. I also am hearing quite a bit more detail on tracks vs. the Lambskins. The impactful bass is retained well but slightly less impactful than with the Lambskin pads. So far the Auteur Hybrids are winning for me as far as the sound signature I am looking for. Because of the increase in vocal presence, if you're particularly sensitive here then the Lambskins may be better for you since I could see it getting fatiguing depending on the sensitivity for some (Although I never really felt this yet). Lambskins definitely pull off a more relaxed, chilling by the campfire vibe compared to the Hybrids bringing more excitement, more detail, etc. so it depends on what you're searching for.

I have pad rolled before on my Atrium so I know the difference a pad can make and am happy I'm going through this experiment. Next up, time to see if the Universe Lambskin and/or Hybrid can compete with the Auteur Hybrid :)
I got the BE2 pads with my VC's as the second pads but now i'm thinking i shdve gotten a hybrid pads. I was initially thinking Universe but the Auteur Hybrids sound like they'd be right up my alley (i want something similar to Auteur Lambskin but a more forward).

I’m so freakin’ excited for my hot cup summer VC (B+++)! I just wish there were more places to fully express my excitement! I’ve got no local audiophile friends and I’m pretty sure my wife would murder me if she found out what I just spent on these beauties. I would have loved the Prosperous, Peacock, or Canopy models from the regular release (congrats to their new owners!!!), but this Rubix fits my tastes perfectly.

I see pad rolling has been a big topic lately, and for anyone interested in thinking outside the box a bit I’ve been loving the Dekoni Elite Suede pads on my Eikon that were originally meant for Audeze. I plan to keep them when I sell the Eikon because they fit my ears the best and (to me) they sound the best of anything I’ve tried so far. You have to verrrry slowly and carefully remove the adhesive and then pull out the plastic retaining ring, but once you’ve done that they fit great. There’s a little extra material you have to fit under the lip of the ZMF earcup, but I’ve found that actually holds them in place better.

Congrats again to all the new and repeat ZMF owners! Hot cup summer was a great idea for sure @zach915m.
As someone who also went from Eikon to VC i'm very curious about your thoughts there.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #10,643 of 12,549
Interesting...I'm very curious to hear your thoughts when you do get the VCs, especially after a few weeks.

I got the BE2 pads with my VC's as the second pads but now i'm thinking i shdve gotten a hybrid pads. I was initially thinking Universe but the Auteur Hybrids sound like they'd be right up my alley (i want something similar to Auteur Lambskin but a more forward).

As someone who also went from Eikon to VC i'm very curious about your thoughts there.

Well now you’ve got me curious about YOUR opinions! You happy you made the switch? What did you like more/less on the VC?

When I wrote to the ZMF team a couple months ago and explained my interests and sonic preferences they indicated that the VC would probably be a better match. My musical preferences heavily lean towards fast, bass-heavy genres (electronic, rock, reggae, hip hop, etc). I’ve got the HD800S for all my classical and live music needs, and I’ve got a Fostex TR-X00 for when I need a bio-dynamic fix.

Frankly the pair I’m most curious to compare to the VC are my Kennerton GH50-JM. They’re currently my favorite set but I’m thinking it will be a relatively similar listening experience if everything I’ve read is correct.

I’ll report back here once the VC arrive though.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #10,644 of 12,549
Well now you’ve got me curious about YOUR opinions! You happy you made the switch? What did you like more/less on the VC?

When I wrote to the ZMF team a couple months ago and explained my interests and sonic preferences they indicated that the VC would probably be a better match. My musical preferences heavily lean towards fast, bass-heavy genres (electronic, rock, reggae, hip hop, etc). I’ve got the HD800S for all my classical and live music needs, and I’ve got a Fostex TR-X00 for when I need a bio-dynamic fix.

Frankly the pair I’m most curious to compare to the VC are my Kennerton GH50-JM. They’re currently my favorite set but I’m thinking it will be a relatively similar listening experience if everything I’ve read is correct.

I’ll report back here once the VC arrive though.
It's only been a few days with the VC, so i expect this to change with time (hopefully for the better). So far though, after the initial excitement phase I found the Eikon (which I had thought were Atticus for the longest time) to be...boring. I don't much care for bass, contrary to your preferences, i listen to more "classic rock" and maybe some modern stuff but mostly things with more mids and low highs (vocals, guitars, violins etc). So far i find the VC to **not** have that initial excitement as i'd mentioned but...somehow more addictive. I really cannot stop listening to music, it's been YEARS since i've not just enjoyed my music this much but wanted to listen to more songs. I have music playing like 8-10 hours everyday now.

The one thing I do find though is that VC is a lot more "laidback" than Eikon, at least to my ears. I didn't really know what that word meant until recently but basically, the Eikon would present me my music with some coloring (more bass slam for example), a bit bland other than that and not as much detail BUT SHOVE it in my face. On the flipside so far the VC has been much more neutral (almost like it's getting out of the way and letting the music speak for itself, at least that's the impression i get), shocking amount of detail and GODLIKE speed (like really, DAMN should have just named these headphones "the flash") but I need to actually walk around the room, get up from my 'chair' and walk around to see all the details, not just because there's a lot of it but because it doesn't shove any of that in your face.

I think some pad swapping and some more burning may make it a little more forward. And i'm sure a more powerful Tube Amp would bring back a bit more of the slam, but...the end result regardless is that i'm listening and enjoying my music much more. Could that be all in my head (i mean, look at it, it's so pretty!) sure...who cares though.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #10,645 of 12,549
It's only been a few days with the VC, so i expect this to change with time (hopefully for the better). So far though, after the initial excitement phase I found the Eikon (which I had thought were Atticus for the longest time) to be...boring. I don't much care for bass, contrary to your preferences, i listen to more "classic rock" and maybe some modern stuff but mostly things with more mids and low highs (vocals, guitars, violins etc). So far i find the VC to **not** have that initial excitement as i'd mentioned but...somehow more addictive. I really cannot stop listening to music, it's been YEARS since i've not just enjoyed my music this much but wanted to listen to more songs. I have music playing like 8-10 hours everyday now.

The one thing I do find though is that VC is a lot more "laidback" than Eikon, at least to my ears. I didn't really know what that word meant until recently but basically, the Eikon would present me my music with some coloring (more bass slam for example), a bit bland other than that and not as much detail BUT SHOVE it in my face. On the flipside so far the VC has been much more neutral (almost like it's getting out of the way and letting the music speak for itself, at least that's the impression i get), shocking amount of detail and GODLIKE speed (like really, DAMN should have just named these headphones "the flash") but I need to actually walk around the room, get up from my 'chair' and walk around to see all the details, not just because there's a lot of it but because it doesn't shove any of that in your face.

I think some pad swapping and some more burning may make it a little more forward. And i'm sure a more powerful Tube Amp would bring back a bit more of the slam, but...the end result regardless is that i'm listening and enjoying my music much more. Could that be all in my head (i mean, look at it, it's so pretty!) sure...who cares though.
To your point earlier, I'd definitely recommend looking into getting some different pads. I'd agree completely about the more relaxed/not as exciting tonality with the Auteur Lambskin pads. Like you said, it is eerily addictive sound and has some really great bass but it's not as exciting as the Auteur Hybrid pads for sure. I'm excited for the Universe pads because they are supposedly the "most" exciting/in your face presentation so between the Auteur & Universe Lambskin/Hybrid it's gonna be a fun battle.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #10,647 of 12,549
FedEx just delivered my VC’s. Already listening to them while working. Using my Aurender n200, Holo May Kitsune and Wu33 elite JPS edition with KR tunes and Westinghouse (?). Obviously not broken in….first impression…quick, lacks the punch I was hoping for. Tonality good. Cord is a foot too short for home listening. Doesn’t have the color and decay I like. I have 2 pads. Using the suede like currently and copper cable.

You have to take this with a grain of salt.

Jul 20, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #10,648 of 12,549
FedEx just delivered my VC’s. Already listening to them while working. Using my Aurender n200, Holo May Kitsune and Wu33 elite JPS edition with KR tunes and Westinghouse (?). Obviously not broken in….first impression…quick, lacks the punch I was hoping for. Tonality good. Cord is a foot too short for home listening. Doesn’t have the color and decay I like. I have 2 pads. Using the suede like currently and copper cable.

You have to take this with a grain of salt.
Of all the ZMFs I've owned, the VC was by far the most underwhelming listen out of the box. That driver really does need time to open up and hit it's optimal operating state. If you're looking for warmth and punch, try the Universe lambskin pads, those are the warmest and most musical pads for the VC. Hopefully as they break in they'll start to meet your expectations! Nice system btw, I'm jealous haha. Definitely can't say the system is the issue!

EDIT - Forgot to mention once I hit the 50ish hour mark they started sounding great. Bass was more present, treble wasn't as steely, and they just sounded more composed and less ragged overall.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #10,649 of 12,549
Of all the ZMFs I've owned, the VC was by far the most underwhelming listen out of the box. That driver really does need time to open up and hit it's optimal operating state. If you're looking for warmth and punch, try the Universe lambskin pads, those are the warmest and most musical pads for the VC. Hopefully as they break in they'll start to meet your expectations! Nice system btw, I'm jealous haha. Definitely can't say the system is the issue!

EDIT - Forgot to mention once I hit the 50ish hour mark they started sounding great. Bass was more present, treble wasn't as steely, and they just sounded more composed and less ragged overall.
totally agree with that assessment, I have not experienced burn in with any other of my headphones but the VC. That said, I wouldn't say their character totally changed, they just became a bit sweeter sounding

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #10,650 of 12,549

Definitely agree, though I liked them out of the box too. I got my new Koa and already a well used Stabilized one which sounded quite a bit better until at least 100 hours when the Koa sounded nearly as good. Used new pads on both for comparison so pad wear wouldn't be a factor. Sold the stabilized but assume the Koa would sound equally good. This was similar with the VO where I had a silk, got a Blackwood which I didn't like as much initially, then came to like it quite a bit more once fully burned in. In contrast, I also had 2 Auteurs at the same time, both sold originally form ZMF 6 months prior. They were Cocobolo and Zebrawood, which have similar hardness. They were both burned in and with similar wood hardness I could not tell them apart.

These kind of comparisons have shown me burn in is real at least on ZMFs, and I experienced the same with 2 HD700s, with the new one being much more harsh. Not talking about brain burn in or pads wearing down, as the burn in on all of these was off my head, largely using pink noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back